The Official QONQR Community Forums
miyoko

Misconceptions about the factions

There is a lot of propaganda and confusion going around about the nature of each faction and I'd like to try and give a different opinion based directly off the description of the factions that was given when I joined the game.

A lot of people see the Legion as oppressive and cruel, and I'm not surprised considering they're attempting to destroy something that has made no threats. However, you do need to remember that their hearts are in the right place. They want to defend humanity and see it safe. I don't see them as oppressive, just foolish.

I hear a lot about how the Swarm is, or will be, run by corporations and it just confuses me where people see that. Dr. Kimiyo and the rest of the Swarm want QONQR to available for everyone, and giving it to corporations wouldn't accomplish that. I also heard how the Swarm is a rampaging barbarian (thanks poopalew) and how the Swarm is oppressive and I don't see where that bit came from, unless its an observation on our less trustworthy members.

I've heard a lot of people who seem to think that the Faceless are a force for good, that the Faceless are just being cautious and not allowing the Swarm to spread QONQR tech foolishly while also keeping it safe from The Legion. I don't where that idea came from, but it just isn't true. The goal of the Faceless faction is personal wealth and power. That can't happen if it is spread to everyone, so the Faceless has to keep people down. More than any other faction, The Faceless would be the oppressive ones. On a side note, its more likely for the faceless to be bought out by corporations. Who wants personal wealth and power at the expense of all? Your favorite CEOs!

And who wants to spread dissent and confusion between Faceless and Swarm? ;) Boil everything down to it's most basic premise from a game creator's standpoint. Two complete opposites, and a middle ground. No matter how the descriptions are written, that is the core purpose of 3 teams in any game.

Also, yes Swarm want to spread QONQR to everyone. Not exactly corporate, BUT Kimyo is the head of Nagumo Industries, which is, in the lore, a corporation. I'll say that's a bit ironic.

I agree with most of what you say about these misconceptions. But at the same time I believe there's a good psychology to it all. When yoy start your venture into this game, you're given three choices. Protect, destroy, or hack. Even though they are simple missions through QONQR storyline, I believe most ask themselves, "What would I do?". Therefore before the game even begins they are given some similarity between their teamates. Their, I don't want to say ethics, but perhaps... oath, is the same. Because of this I think we see the growing social scene of the game. Chat programs, forums, and wire are all pieces of the social puzzle and give people the ability to work with each other on a much deeper level. There seems to be an instant trust beyond these players, and it it can only grow from there (that is unless they're an evil spy) hah.. Then again, I did once run into a player who haf chosen purple instead of Faceless, which is to say she picked her favorite color. Though, she said she would of rather picked Swarm for their story. After a conversion, and she switched green for the team, she grew into a valid warrior working well with our forces and keeping us grounded in the game.

My theory is that because people with similar points of view are working against others of similar point of view. It forms a discrimination (of sorts). Faceless seen to agree with Swarm that Legion are mean, or bullies in numbers. The word Legion itself come from the Romans who destroyed countries with their insane amount soldiers. The Legion seem to agree with the Swarm that Faceless are illusive, and risky. They are by storyline hackers, and a hacker never reveals himself nor his allies.. Thus "Faceless". And the Legion and Faceless agree the swarm can be cocky, and.. Well what do you guys say about us? Lol.

Its all on how you take what the devs give us. And also region plays a strong role, Legion are the main enemy in Centeal Texas. In SW MI, Faceless are public enemy. Overall I see a much stronger psychology to the faction choice, and game-play in QONQR. Their style, their ideals/ideas, and their region all have an effect on how they play, and see the QONQR world.

Communist hippies is mild.. I have some choice titles, but the forum turns them into little stars. ****

Ah, but I call them that lovingly :lol: Sounds like someone doesn't like green too much.

I don't totally agree with your breakdowns tbh but i do see flaws in the storyline.

for example it strikes me that the faction lead by the military would make far more sense to be the team wanting to destroy the tech.

who shoots first and asks questions later? who wants to defend humanity by force? the soldiers, swarm & legion would make far more sense switched place.

swarm's goal seems more of a trusting and hippy agenda which doesn't really go hand in hand with the army imo.

faceless, the hackers, i agree less trusting but i don't see them as the types to sell out, either as you say looking for personal wealth/control which they are happy to break rules to get or possibly just anarchist/activists looking to stop the government and/or corporations from having all the power. not necessarily good guys but i think all three groups you could argue have their hearts in the right place.

and in the story line who or what even is legion? swarm is military, faceless a network of hackers, legion is what? some random big group of organised something trying to destroy ai, like a form of protest or anti/hippy mob? or i guess since its anti mech they are hippies, just dressed as scientists for some reason?

i guess the comics will explain more, once they get past page 3...

Also, yes Swarm want to spread QONQR to everyone. Not exactly corporate, BUT Kimyo is the head of Nagumo Industries, which is, in the lore, a corporation. I'll say that's a bit ironic.

i thought swarm was military not corporation? unless its a weapons manufacture or some such? in which case they want to sell it to everyone rather than spread it, big difference. which i guess would make them the bad guys as much as faceless really.

legion want to scrap it before it does any damage, swarm want to be its friend to make money out of selling weapons, faceless want to destroy it after learning its secrets - we dont actually know why though, so they could be good guys or bad guys really.

its a moral maze is what it is.

for example it strikes me that the faction lead by the military would make far more sense to be the team wanting to destroy the tech.

who shoots first and asks questions later? who wants to defend humanity by force? the soldiers, swarm & legion would make far more sense switched place.

Legion is the military/gov't. Nagumo is a company. Faceless are hacktivists. Not sure where you got a Swarm-military connection from

Legion is the military/gov't. Nagumo is a company. Faceless are hacktivists. Not sure where you got a Swarm-military connection from

guess i just remember it wrong from the start of the game.. either that or nanobots have invaded by brain to spread confusion.

way i see it is agent sunday is like ripley, looking to stomp the menace out. swarm is like the bad guys who want to breed aliens and make weapons and all that. which is guess makes faceless the predators. we have cool masks :ph34r:

I have to say besides the foolish part I agree with the take on legion. I will refrain from calling any of the factions foolish in this. History has shown many times when you introduce a more advanced presence into a less developed society the out come is usually not good. The azteks, Native Americans, Africans, Hebrews etc. etc. They all started out trusting and welcoming an unknown more advanced culture. Granted this is an AI, but by definition an AI should be able to replicate human behaviors. All of them and many others ended up being enslaved or almost/were wiped out. It would be far wiser to neutralize the threat and recover tech afterwards than to blindly repeat history.

As far as swarm goes I never read that they want to Freely share qonqr with humanity, they want to protect it, and use it to benefit humanity. And Nagumi industry's is a corporation. I mean they wear all green and have giant gold bling necklaces. its all about the $$ j/k but I wouldn't be surprised if the lore heads in that direction.

I'm a little confused on your take of the faceless. What I got from the lore was that they wanted to share the qonqr tech freely with the world (Opensource or die), or use it to overthrow the world not sure which one.

Everyone in the faceless is an individual we are the all-rounders some wish to profit some wish to protect others want to share we are many people many personalities all unique

The descriptions I got were the ones given when I started the game. In it the Faceless were described as wanting personal wealth and power, not to give QONQR tech to everyone.

from qonqr site;

THE FACELESS are a loosely organized faction of militant hackers who want QONQR's technology for their own ends, but want to prevent the unavoidable nightmare of human slavery they believe it portends. When they choose to communicate, they do so through an anonymous vigilante who goes by the name PROMETHEUS.

:ph34r:

Green are happy, as long as they get all the copyrights, them everyone can pay for the info.

O rather see the faceless as scientists thinking that humanity isn't ready for all this, yet...

I like Purple :D