The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Weapons Cache

Back in February I had our junior developer build a weapons cache feature. I was still in the middle of the battle engine rewrite so we thought this would be a good feature for him to work on that didn't run the risk of breaking anything in the massive battle engine update.

Way back in the beginning, back when our business plan had more lines than our code, we had an idea that we could give retailers the ability to have customers visit their businesses and get something for free in QONQR by scanning QR code (or now an NFC Beacon). That idea sounds better on paper than in the real world, but it is still possible.

Now we think it is more likely that a link to free stuff could be used to get people to actually look at a blog, follow Twitter/Facebook, read a newsletter, etc.

Anyway, we have a Weapons Cache feature and decided to turn it on today.

http://portal.qonqr.com/WeaponsCache/Offer/ff7429ec-d2bd-48fb-895b-e95f02b97444

We are trying to decide if this would be a good idea to open up to players to create a cache for their local squad of friends or family. We have purposely made the claims a person can get from a cache very small. No more than 1 cube or 10,000 qredits worth of stuff per day. This is a terrible mechanism for someone to buy cubes and split them between two accounts. We intentionally made it a huge hassle for multi-scopers. It will take about 9 months to split the 550 cube pack between two accounts.

But we know there are many people out there sending new recruits 5 cubes for signing up, and this could allow them to “gift” those small cube packages to new players, and keep them coming back to the game every day for a week to get them. Those who are gifting a few cubes to players are amazingly supportive of QONQR (THANK YOU!!), and this could make it easier and more cost effective.

More details here: http://portal.qonqr.com/weaponscache

What are your thoughts about this limited and very restrictive gifting framework? I know some people will hate this because let’s face it, some people hate everything we do. We built this for ourselves to reward the people who interact with QONQR outside of the game. But we also built it so it could possibly be used by others, with tight restrictions to limit abuse. Is the benefit to the QONQR community greater than the negatives if we allow players to create weapons caches?

This is a great idea. We have a lot of people that buy a small amount of cubes and sometimes have an odd number left over that they save in case they ever get more.

Things like upgrading the bot tank for 5 cubes where as the 100k would require a 20k exchange.

Hopefully this gifting can also help keep our recruits around via "carrot on a stick" method of reward.

Cheers.

Sounds very familiar to a feature proposed by someone around here. ;)

Maybe there could be a timeout features for how long a cache can be accessed by different accounts, or for how long a cache can be accessed in all. Such as 2-5 minutes before another person can access it, and maybe within a day or a week, or for how many people. Also might want to add how much a cache has in it, so when its out, can either be deleted or wait for a refill.

This might also be able to be restricted to only certain factions?

Could also be very useful for use by the faction leaders on twitter for their faithful followers.

Many possible uses, also maybe as a geocache sort of thing for retailers or other player to meetup. I wouldn't mind being able to use this at my recruitment center in SecondLife.

So would this auto give a QR code to use, or just a link for the cache?

LOL.."because let's face it, some people hate everything we do". I really like this game and haven't had many issues with anything updated and changed thus far. I might have described Sync-Lock as a Qonqr STD..but as a person whose since been infected and had it's impact amount to nothing even without inoculating..I might've overreacted, lol.

This change, the weapons cache, I like more than anything yet. I can already see the absolute chaos and hilarity this will bring..and I don't mean it as snide..I genuinely love this idea! Let me put forth a scenario..

Let's say there is a large, well organized team of players comprised of 10 free to play operatives and 2 elites who don't mind sharing. Normally, they would plan a big op 2 weeks out so as to get everyone on board. Now, instead of a normal attack, you have 10 players with 70 bot refreshes plus your elites. There will be area's and groups that will experience a whole new level of shock and awe devastation..(sniffle, tear wipe)..it'll be beautiful!

I know 70 refreshes aren't that many..but for big..and I mean BIG groups..just IMAGINE the destruction! Versus a large, well organized team with one or two benefactors who would buy cubes anyway..no tower would be to tall to topple and no area would be to well defended to overrun. Maybe my scenario is a little overblown..but I see enormous potential here.

Thanks for the missile. But why can't a person directly gift another player, instead of creating an unsecured link where anyone can claim it? Seems roundabout?

This feature does have some potential!

Obviously, it's just sad that multiscopes are allowed to pay to play now and that you have to consider their existence to implement this feature. Otherwise, this could have been a simple gifting feature.

Gifting is a very tricky problem in game design. Unrestricted gifting results in farming. Farming on a small scale is tolerable in some cases, mass farming can really throw off game balance and is bound to happen if allowed. We didn't want to create a scenario where a main account could gift to a second account and have a fully upgraded scope in an instant. We also didn't want to have a solution that allowed a main account to have many feeder accounts harvesting credits and feeding them to the main account. Sync Lock has no impact on accounts that never launch, so some multi-scopers would simply farm most of the time with their alt accounts.

So with those restrictions in mind, we implemented Weapons Cache so all gifts had to be purchased with real money (no farming), and gifting could never be more than a token amount (avoid instant 100% scope upgrades to secondary accounts).

Unfortunately, nearly every feature we implement going forward has to be done through the lens of potential abuse. We spent most of 2013 rebuilding much of our system to deal with abuse (and scalability). We made some mistakes in early game design that didn't account for the now well understood fact that most hardcore gamers will take every step possible to get an advantage, some ignoring "questionable" tactics.. It creates huge restrictions in the features we can build, but it is a challenge we continue to deal with as best we can, so we can keep adding new things to the game.

We know Weapon's Cache as the potential for some abuse, but we think the impact will be small compared to the positive impact to the community.

By the way, about 5% of the players who launched yesterday, found out about the weapons cache and claimed a free missile. Those players saw my "Thanks for playing QONQR" message for about $0.02 each. That isn't a terrible advertiser rate (not great, but also not terrible). This might be a good way to get more people to read our blog posts, support the comic book, etc. Anybody have an online business and think this could drive some sales? I admit I don't know much about the "advertising" viability of this weapons cache feature.

I definitely think this is how we will be announcing things we would normally only post of Facebook and the forums, so we ensure the word spreads faster.

Thank you Silver, I have the link saved to my favourites and already have a couple of missiles claimed :) I think it has been very well thought out and implemented. Totally understand the points you raised in your last reply too, makes perfect sense why you have done it this way :)

Side note: I have a friend who runs his own marketing business out of NZ. He helps companies reinvent themselves in the digital sense. He has successfully helped a couple of bigger names in his local market. Maybe he has some ideas you could benefit from? Can put you in touch with him if you like...

Bob    6

This is cool ! Claimed already two missiles and already found something:

Now you can claim only every 24 hours and 24 h timer is resetted in the moment when claiming

day 1: claim at 9.00

day 2: claim at 10.00

day 3: claim at 10.15

day 4: claim at 10.35

day 5: claim at 11.15

-> every day the claim time is shifting a bit further -> in partice may be hard to claim 30 / 31 missiles per month.

-> Change is so that you can claim it once per calendar day - same time period as when Exchange Rate is changing...

-> so that you can claim today 23.59 and tomorrow 00:01 :)

Jeeh !

I'm so late to this party but I haven't really been involved with the community much until recent. How about the owner of the cache sets the daily limit? If I'm managing and an op and I know some of my crew are low on credits and/or cubes and I need them to participate 1 cube or 10k credits is a hard limit. Typically I've planned out the major ops about a month ahead. That normally allows for some time to save qredits as well as modifying the plan of attack etc. But if something Las minute pops up the current limit is well...limiting... If I fill my cache with 550 qubes and I have an op tomorrow the limitation makes the cache useless. Its a great idea though as I have in the past gifted cubes to players and the cache would simplify everything. If I can designate who gets access and set my own limits