The Official QONQR Community Forums
dings90

What's in a name?

How many times have you ran across someone's game name and stopped, scratched your and and though WTF? I know I have, people have probably done that with mine. Mine was just something I have used for other things and not realizing that I was picking the name I had for the game and everyone to see. Just for fun, maybe some of you out there with quirky names would like to let us in on what your name means. Also with the option to change your name now, how are taking advantage of this? I considered this, but meh, everyone knows me as dings90.

I used a random name generator when I started EverQuest a long time ago. I tweaked one of the results to come up with Kanamack. I have used it in EverQuest, WoW, Wolfenstein, Quake, and many other games. Eventually, I restricted its use to MMORPGs like WoW and used 'Texan' in FPS games.

When I rolled my first WoW character in Vanilla WoW, it was a Gnome Warlock. I wanted to name her Gadget because of her Gnome tinkering abilities, but it was taken so I named her Gadge. I have been Gadge, Gadgerson, Gadgersan, and Regadged since then on different social media outlets and on several different games.

Here's a picture of my original WoW character that is still my main in the WoD expansion.

post-1057-0-12909100-1418085518_thumb.pn

My "name" or "Gamertag" started nearly 20 years ago, I was in elementary school playing an old Windows 95 game on the school's computers. I got a high score on the game and was typing in my "high store" and typed in matwonk. I was trying to type in "Matt Won" but a teacher was coming close to seeing my computer and I had to type quickly. I ended up missing a t and a space and hit k at the end. One of my friends later saw it and thought it was funny. I kind of thought it was a cool nickname so I used it whenever I filled out a high score on a game. Later on when I got into online games I used it as my username/gamertag. People online always thought I was chinese,(I'm not). it took me a while to realize it was because of the wonk at the end of my gamertag. I've used that tag for years now.

I was at one point in my life a pot smoker, when I smoked I would get very deep and philosophical. A pot leaf has seven leaves, and my friends called me the Seven Leaf Sage. Years later, after I grew out of it, I started a personal cheffing company after finishing culinary school. I named it Seven Leaf Sage to express my exceptional use of herbs and spices in cooking (as well as a throwback to a better time). It's been my moniker ever since.

The 42 is, of course, The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

Massune is a play off of the name Masamune. Masamune, the man, is regarded as Japans most famous and prominent swordsmith. He became so highly regarded for his skill that the weapons he created were referred to as "Masamune" instead of the actual type of sword. To this day, the Japanese swordsmithing community uses the name as a title of honor whenever someone creates a sword of exceptional quality. As times and cultures changed, the name started being used in the entertainment world as a way to show perceived power. Strong characters in movies and t.v. would sometimes be named Masamune. Other entertainment outlets also used the name..which is where I first ran across it. The really long odachi used by Sepiroth in Final Fantasy 7 is named Masamune..as well as Aurons celestial weapon in Final Fantasy X. In fact, there is at least one reference to the name Masamune in every single Final Fantasy game. My own fascination with bladed weaponry and the rich history of the name has led me to use it, or a play off of it, in most games that I play.

When I was young, I loved the game Ace Combat for the playstation. So when I had to come up with a name when I was playing call of duty 1 competitively I just kinda picked that one up. The X happens if the name is already taken... Kinda a popular tag I suppose. By my Xbox tag is CombatAces which is perfect lol

When I was younger, the group of friends I was in had 4 Mikes, so people used to call the Mikes by their last name. Nobody could pronounce my last named so they started calling me Queetz (Kwee-ettes) which by sound is close to the real pronunciation of my last name.

I pronounce Queetz as Kweets though.

On to me, as most have already discovered my name comes from Bleach. When the show first started, I watched the subbed version weekly and when Ichigo got to soul society, I thought Shinigamis were the coolest thing ever. So I decided to put that into my online "handles". When I started to play fps like call of duty and halo hardbody, I used it to mean I bring death to all who come at me. It worked in so many ways. My real name is Andre, everyone calls me Dre, hence the dre at the end. So i have been shinigamidre for years and probably will continue to be. Its gotten so bad that if I can't use that name, i sit there for like 20 minutes trying to find an alternate. Many of my friends have me saved in their cell phones as shinigamidre too.

I got named by my parents. It kinda stuck.

I also hadn't played a game like Qonqr before so didn't realise I should have thought up an interesting gamer tag. I know there's an option to change it but I find that I don't want to after all this time.

Too funny, your name isn't one of the WTF ones!

Desideratus is described via this link:

http://www.babylon.c...deratus/English

My full pseudonym is Desideratus Doctoris Invictus.

http://www.babylon.c...nition/doctoris

http://www.babylon.c...nition/invictus

I truncated my full pseudonym to Desideratus for QONQR.

I was abandoned as a baby at a Buddist monestary where they had all taken a vow of silence. At 5 years old I escaped. When i got to the closest town there was a circus, I was hungry so I snuck in and tried to steal some food. I got caught and because I had never learned to speak, I couldnt talk my way out of it. The head clown who was an elderly woman with a painted smile....

Ok so what really happened, back in the days of dial up connection, when hotmail was the only free email and chat rooms were new, I somehow ended up in a chat room. Turned one of the guys my age lived in the next town over, we met up and became best friends. I was the least witty of our group, so one day making a new email i decided on glorifiedbozo. I have never once had that handle/gamertag/whatever you want to call it be taken, so I just kept using it. When I started playing Qonqr I used just Bozo. Only game I havent used it in was WoW, my character was named FootballBat.

When I was younger my grandma bought me the Hoyle Puzzle and Board games for the computer. When you played a game which required more than 1 person it would give you opponents with a randomly generated name. One of the common opponents was an alien which sometimes got the name Zartec. I guess it just stuck.

2487 had some significance to me in elementary school, but I forgot what it was, haha.