The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tiomun

First thoughts.

1. Zoom. Clicking the +/- has a far more reliable rate of zooming in and out than using the zoom gestures.

2. The striped water. Being coastal, this took only about 1 minute before it started to give me a headache.

3. The texts at the bottom of the map are hard or impossible to read at times. Like when over water or dense map areas in qonqr map mode, and impossible to read when over open land in google map mode.

4. There is a weird scope reset message. Not sure what this is... Not a lot of info on this when it pops up randomly. If it is random....

5. For bot selection the chevron wheel idea is cool, but I know a few players who are going to crash trying to find a deployment (not that I condone using a phone while driving). But this puts these small icons into random locations every time you change deployments. It completely removes any use of muscle memory, and they are hard enough to identify where finding what you need requires a abnormal amount of attention. Less with practice I'm sure, but I feel it will always take more effort than the previous system.

*coughs, even the ancients used a fixed location on the D.H.D.*

I would suggest keeping the icon part of the wheel fixed on the screen and have the selection boxy thing rotate to the selected deployment. This would be equally cool animation wise, but prevent the icons from always being in a new location.

Additional thought.

It would be really cool if there was a way to let users define a custom color theme. Like a color picker in the options and the blue theme changes to use that as its base. Besides being cool, this may also be useful to people with certain visual disabilities, or just general visual comfort.

TestTiomun

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6

My thoughts, which don't really matter as I'm an end user/beta tester as well.

1. That has not been my experience. In cases like this you should list your software version (os) as well. My OnePlus One is smooth. Haven't tested this version on HTC one yet.

2. QONQR theme water background: I get it, they thought it was too dark before they added stripes. I'm on the fence here, but I do like darker. I'm sure there were complaints about it being too dark.

3. Please be more specific -- is it the white text on the striped water that's at issue? Can you provide a screen print? My text is quite small but looks terrific.

4. That's an anti-tech measure to keep bots from auto-launching which is still a problem.

5. Not sure what you're saying here would be your proposed fix .... make the square move around the screen? Also, DHD? Is that a Stargate reference?

6. Interesting, custom color theme. When suggesting something major like this, please also attach an importance factor, as all features/bugs/fixes need to be prioritized. Also, are you certain you want this? Color was central to classic QONQR, and I assume central to new QONQR. Are you suggesting a complete set of color changes, or more like a change to the common blue color, like red for nighttime, green for night-vision, white for simulating a CRT, etc?

Welcome to the club!

1. the google map control isn't super awesome

2. this was to facilitate searching for Atlantis. Adding texture to the water helped know you were panning, but we will keep looking for alternatives

3. We have worked on this text quite a bit, still not perfect

4. Blog post coming today

5. I've toyed with the option of having an alternate launch display that you could select from settings. Let cool, and more static for the hard core.

6. QONQR Blue was designed with the goal of having color theme packs (skins) players could buy to customize their scope. It may never happen, certainly not soon, but that was one of our design goals.

My thoughts, which don't really matter as I'm an end user/beta tester as well.

1. That has not been my experience. In cases like this you should list your software version (os) as well. My OnePlus One is smooth. Haven't tested this version on HTC one yet.

2. QONQR theme water background: I get it, they thought it was too dark before they added stripes. I'm on the fence here, but I do like darker. I'm sure there were complaints about it being too dark.

3. Please be more specific -- is it the white text on the striped water that's at issue? Can you provide a screen print? My text is quite small but looks terrific.

4. That's an anti-tech measure to keep bots from auto-launching which is still a problem.

5. Not sure what you're saying here would be your proposed fix .... make the square move around the screen? Also, DHD? Is that a Stargate reference?

6. Interesting, custom color theme. When suggesting something major like this, please also attach an importance factor, as all features/bugs/fixes need to be prioritized. Also, are you certain you want this? Color was central to classic QONQR, and I assume central to new QONQR. Are you suggesting a complete set of color changes, or more like a change to the common blue color, like red for nighttime, green for night-vision, white for simulating a CRT, etc?

Welcome to the club!

You have made many fair and valid points. Except, of course your thoughts matter. I know the Qonqr staff actually values our input even if it doesn't end up in the game, I know they take it all into consideration.

1. Android 5.1.1, I forgot to add this in the last post. To clarify. it seems that the zooming is smooth when it works. But I find I'm using the zoom gesture multiple times just to get 1 level in or out. The +/- always works first try perfectly.

2. Solid would be a bit dark, maybe wider stripes or different color / shade combinations may help. The effect that the thin stripes has on the eyes is a bit too intense, but maybe that just me.

Shake%2Byour%2Bhead.%2BSaw.jpg

3.As you can see in the screen shot. The white text is hard to read even in this larger than life version when it overlaps zone icons, the water, or dense road networks. The text can still be read with slight effort, but for me its standard practice to always make sure text is easily readable.

lx8eo6B.jpg?1

Obviously this could look nicer, but just as a example. This modified image shows text half the size in a opaque container and it is far easier to read regardless of what map data is behind it..

Xgo4Drp.jpg?1

4. I figured this was the case. Its minor, just pointing out the message could explain its self better.

5. My proposed fix is to have pretty much any solution where the buttons are not constantly moving around the screen. It looks super cool as it is, so to keep the theme the same I'd suggest having a selection indicator move to the button instead of having the button move to the selection indicator.

Just using an element of Stargate to contrast the difference in functionality of a chevron like selection system ;)

6. For this my thought would be to let the Blue part of Qonqr blue be changeable. and yes the idea was to allow for improved night visibility with the red, or simply a fun factor for the user. This would depend allot on how the code was setup for the theme though.

JIe2Uxh.jpg

1. the google map control isn't super awesome

2. this was to facilitate searching for Atlantis. Adding texture to the water helped know you were panning, but we will keep looking for alternatives

3. We have worked on this text quite a bit, still not perfect

4. Blog post coming today

5. I've toyed with the option of having an alternate launch display that you could select from settings. Let cool, and more static for the hard core.

6. QONQR Blue was designed with the goal of having color theme packs (skins) players could buy to customize their scope. It may never happen, certainly not soon, but that was one of our design goals.

1. It definitely can be awkward to code with. Other than the weird gesture response thing, Its working great so far.

2. Yeah that makes a lot of sense and something to accommodate the sense of location is definitely required. I assume that panning west/east isn't very improved with the horizontal stripes alone which is why you have that tilled dither effect? I thought this was a graphical glitch but it makes sense.

I think simply making the stripes significantly thicker would make it less intense. But playing with the colors or even trying something different like simulated lat/long lines (a grid pattern) could work also.

3. The nature of text vs aesthetics can feel like a uphill battle at times.

4. sweet

5. This would be a great. I think a lot of players would end up using the alternate version in the long run.

6. Oh so ideally this would be possible. Very cool. I think I would probably pay for 1 color pack depending on price. I would also be a cool perk to add as a incentive for some kind of subscription plan possibly.

I haven't noticed the chevrons being random, but many people seem to. I would be best helped if they were color coded like in QONQR classic: red for attack, green for defend, and purple for support, instead of the blue if you can't use, orange if you can. Maybe keep the blue for "unavailable," but highlight them with the corresponding colors when available instead of just orange.

Hope it made sense :)

Symbols are hard to remember, especially when you only use a few most of the time. If you look close, they are broken down into shapes.

Diamonds = defensive bots

Hexagons = Support Bots

Cones? = Attack Bots

I haven't noticed the chevrons being random, but many people seem to. I would be best helped if they were color coded like in QONQR classic: red for attack, green for defend, and purple for support, instead of the blue if you can't use, orange if you can. Maybe keep the blue for "unavailable," but highlight them with the corresponding colors when available instead of just orange.

Hope it made sense :)

They are not random in the order they follow around the perimeter of the ring, but they feel random random in the actual x/y position on the screen due to them rotating.

For example, The position of deflect after launching shockwave is completely different than the position of deflect after launching seekers. This makes it so you have to apply significantly more focus on the screen than you would with a color coded, text button system that is always in a specific order on the screen.

The normal selection system can be done reliably without looking directly at the screen. This is ideal for covert deployments or while at traffic lights etc.

This isn't the biggest issue in the world. But considering this is a gps based game its probably ideal to accommodate using it while on the move.

Symbols are hard to remember, especially when you only use a few most of the time. If you look close, they are broken down into shapes.

Diamonds = defensive bots

Hexagons = Support Bots

Cones? = Attack Bots

You are correct. I Also noticed the shape changes depending on the type. But I still find I'm bringing the app much closer to my face to chose an attack than I used to. Just cant make out the shape or specific icon for that type unless I do.

The color idea is a good one. you could glance over and see the color and then as long as you know what order the deployments are in for that color your all set. Still not as smooth as what the app uses now, but definitely would simplify it a lot.

I think the color idea is nice and I also have to look close to choose a formation, but I heard that the devs want to eventually sell colored themes for the scope. If that happened, they want to be able to change the colors on the launch wheel.