The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Q&A on 2-18-2013 Formation Updates

A number of improvements were made to the QONQR battle engine (release on 2/18). Use this thread to ask why changes were made, or for clarification on the improvements.

Here are the high level changes implemented to address top player concerns that have been voiced over the past year.

Concern: This game is completely skewed to offense.

Update: Defense has the advantage now. The advantage is very small 5-10% in basic head-to-head comparison, but can be boosted to a huge advantage if proper tactics are used. However, a savvy mobile operative who knows how to use his/her formations wisely, can still decimate someone who doesn't plan defense well and doesn't employ counterattack measures. Strategy is much, much more important now.

Concern: Hardened Lattice and Seekers don't appear to do what they are advertised to do in the formation description

Update: They do now.

Concern: New players are completely under powered.

Update: The damage and shield values of all formations have been raised for the lower levels. Now low level players are only slightly weaker (~25%) than level 100 players per bot. However, level 100 players still deploy 20-50 times more bots per launch. So the top players are very strong based on volume. The difference is that now 10K level 1 bots put up a decent fight against 10K level 5 bots.

Concern: Does anyone even use Zone Assault, Plasma Beam and Divert?

Update: These formations now have strategic importance in certain battle scenarios.

Concern: I need more distance to attack without using Missiles.

Update: Zone Assault's range was increased from 25 to 30 miles. This doesn't sound like much, but at 25 miles you can attack 1962 square miles of area. At 30 miles, you now have 2826 square miles to patrol.

Concern: It is impossible to build a beachhead into a zone.

Update: Not any more.

Concern: Why don't my bot counts in a zone go up when I see that some bots survive every launch?

Update: This has changed. Previously, offensive bots that survived their launch, would join the next attack where they were certain to be all killed. Offensive bots no longer join the fight on subsequent launches. This helps you build a beachhead into the zone, and leaves more and more bots behind to hinder the enemy from boosting their zone defenses during a battle, without dealing with your offense first.

Will the updates apply to bots already in the zone?

For instance:

1) According to the Official QONQR Strategy Guide, 25,000 Hardened Lattice is what we'd want to shoot for. Now if I already have 10,000 HL in a zone today will I only need to add 15,000 of the 'improved' HL to have a maximum benefit?

2) Will the bots deployed by a level 10 with no scope upgrades today be increased in strength once the update is processed tomorrow?

Just thought raising this question early on would help many of us with vast deployments in many longstanding zones.

Thanks,

Flower

Seeker Clarification:

Seekers are your first line of defense, but also strike preemptively.

If I attack a zone with seekers inside using a shockwave attack, and I have a fully upgraded scope for 20% survival, your seekers will only suffer damage from 20% of the shockwave, reducing your losses? Or is damage calculated simultaneously using 100% of the shockwave against the seekers and only 20% shockwave are left after the assault?

Deflection Clarification:

Right now, If I attack a zone with deflection in it, my attackers still get killed off somehow. If Deflection do not engage enemy nanobots, will this still be the case or will 100% of my attackers survive against only deflection?

1) Unless I have made a mistake in the updates, all bots in the zone today will be adjusted to any increased damage, shield, aggression or threat values during the update tomorrow. See the new Strategy Guide for an explanation of each. Yes, you will only need to had 15K to get the maximum benefit in your situation.

2) See #1

Seekers will attack the incoming Shockwave first, flipping the incoming bots from offense to defense, and the bots (Seekers) in the zone from defense to offense. This role reversal is deadly in the case of Shockwave. Seekers have relatively weak attack compared to other attacks and relatively week shields compared to the other defensive bots. On the whole, seekers are a very weak bot, but their strength is as a first strike weapon. The weak attack of the Seekers against the absolutely horrible shields of the Shockwave give Seekers a big advantage. Best to attack a zone with something other than Shockwave until you know there are no Seekers there.

Battle damage is always calculated simultaneously. How many Seekers will it take to take out ALL the Shockwave? Once that is determined those Seekers are "killed" as well as all the Shockwave down to the minimum survival rate. So if 20% of your Shockwave survive, they were the cause of 20% of the Seekers that were killed, but they survived the battle themselves.

The offensive bots (Zone Assault, Shockwave, Nanomisslie) against all bots with shields (Seekers excluded) will work the same way they always have. Your incoming total Damage is used to figure out how many Shields you can take out. If your per bot Damage is 2x stronger than the Shields of the bots you are facing, you will kill 200% of your launch bot count. All your offensive bots do damage against the defense in the zone. The ones that do not survive are casualties of the battle.

Defenders do fight back, they just won't attack unless they are attacked first. In the case of Seekers, the counter-attack is a preemptive strike (they can see you coming).

Before you start to think that you should load you zone full of seekers, be aware that they melt in a flash against a plasma beam. Seekers serve two purposes.

1) They punish those who just randomly throw their big Shockwave at everything. Your opponents first launch will be a lost cause but they will soon realize to hit you with a Plasma Beam before they go back to Shockwave. So having lots of Seekers in a zone probably isn't a good investment. It is most likely only going to make sense to have enough to stop the first couple strikes.

2) They are an awesome counter attack weapon. Players have been asking for a way to fight back in a meaningful way when a dozen players start attacking your zone. Mostly likely, if they are in the area, they will be hitting you over and over with Shockwave as the most powerful attack. If you fight back with Seekers you will force them to switch to Zone Assault which has a much better chance of surviving Seekers, or spend some credits to buy some missiles or plasma beams to take our your seekers before they can go back to the heavy Shockwave. If you keep throwing seekers back at the enemy during a sustained attack, they will have to keep adjusting their attack strategy.

Seekers simply make the game more interesting, more strategic. By no means are Seekers an uber weapon. They simply make you play smarter.

Testing new changes now. Plasma really does wipe out seekers like they're nothing. Building a beachhead is nice! Battles feel more intense now. I'm actually struggling to take down a zone with 30K bots of absorbers and deflectors.

It looks like the energy tank update from level 3 to level 4 was not fixed. Is that coming soon or am I doing something wrong to get to a 100% on the scope upgrades?

I love the rest of the updates and the balancing and fixing of the components.

Keep up the great work and I really love the game!!! 5 stars plus!!!

Boosters in a zone protected from incoming attacks by Seekers should improve the effectiveness of your Seekers in taking out incoming Zone Assault and Shockwave. If not, it is a bug.

The energy tank bug needs to be fixed in the iOS update, can't be resolved by the server. It is on the list for the next submission to Apple.

-Scott

The wiki has been reset/updated for the new formations.

There are now a lot of empty values for the lower level formations that needs help being repopulated.

Additionally the attack/defend strategies are no longer viable so they need to be reworked.

http://qonqr.wikia.com/

Boosters in a zone protected from incoming attacks by Seekers should improve the effectiveness of your Seekers in taking out incoming Zone Assault and Shockwave. If not, it is a bug.

The energy tank bug needs to be fixed in the iOS update, can't be resolved by the server. It is on the list for the next submission to Apple.

-Scott

Boosters and damage enhancer do improve your embedded seekers' effectiveness. This works right :D

Just a comment as I've been playing with the new changes.

Surviving attack bots not joining in the next launch makes it a little slower to take down an opponent, but it's kinda cool that you have more bots in the zone by the time you take it over. However, when I'm launching missiles, my surviving missiles don't join the next launch and that seems like a waste. Why in the world would I want to have several thousand missiles in a zone 400 miles away? I'd rather have those left overs join the attack. There's less incentive for me to help out a neighbor.

Strategy Guides on the wiki are updated.

It just gives you tips but does not go into specific strategies. Just educates you on what you need to know to develop your own strategy.

Before you start to think that you should load you zone full of seekers, be aware that they melt in a flash against a plasma beam. Seekers serve two purposes.

1) They punish those who just randomly throw their big Shockwave at everything. Your opponents first launch will be a lost cause but they will soon realize to hit you with a Plasma Beam before they go back to Shockwave. So having lots of Seekers in a zone probably isn't a good investment. It is most likely only going to make sense to have enough to stop the first couple strikes.

2) They are an awesome counter attack weapon. Players have been asking for a way to fight back in a meaningful way when a dozen players start attacking your zone. Mostly likely, if they are in the area, they will be hitting you over and over with Shockwave as the most powerful attack. If you fight back with Seekers you will force them to switch to Zone Assault which has a much better chance of surviving Seekers, or spend some credits to buy some missiles or plasma beams to take our your seekers before they can go back to the heavy Shockwave. If you keep throwing seekers back at the enemy during a sustained attack, they will have to keep adjusting their attack strategy.

Seekers simply make the game more interesting, more strategic. By no means are Seekers an uber weapon. They simply make you play smarter.

This is the best explanation of the way the new Seekers work.

You don't want to just throw them in a zone and they'll patrol it and kill stuff while you're offline. It's not like that. If you do that someone will just come along and plasma beam them, or zone assault them, and they'll have been wasted.

Use them as Silver suggests. You can also use them to clear out the offensive units from someone's zone, to attain 100% survivability for your own bots. This lets you build up your own defenses in there, to protect a beachhead of Bot Boosters, to use to tear down a big defended zone. This new aspect of the game makes it a lot easier to generate powerful offense against a heavily defended opponent. In the past, you had to hope they were offline when you put in Bot Boosters, since if they attacked you'd lose them. Now, you can put in a beachhead attack against someone even when they're online and trying to stop you. Their seekers will slow you down, but your seekers will slow them down from slowing you down. It's nasty.

I agree god1355. Perhaps we we will write a special special battle resolver just for missiles. The survivability of each launch is set to 5%, but will with scope upgrades that goes up. I'll put it on the list for review.

I will second this. I think Nanomissiles and Shockwaves should both have units rejoin the fight. It's kind of lame to spend cubes on nanobot refreshes then watch as 25,000 of your Shockwaves pile up, only to get taken out in a couple of hits. Shockwaves cost more cubes than they used to, due to the higher nanobot cost per deployment (1450 vs. 1260), so at least let people get their money's worth out of them. For Zone Assault however, all the extra ones piling up is useful since these remnants are as hard to kill as Seekers, for other Seekers. So that makes Zone Assault a good option for taking out the final few bots in a zone once you've got it whittled down using more powerful attacks, or for clearing out things like Seekers from your own zones.

Did some testing attacking a defended zone. It seems like the more shockwave/zoneassult bots I have stacked up after they survive the attack in a zone, the less number of deflection bots I take out on the following attack. This seems like a bug since you would think the more offensive bots you have in a zone, the more damage dealt. The zone in attacking had a mix of deflection, lattice, and zone assult bots. His defensive upgrades are maxed and I have not maxed my damage amp upgrade yet

I have a Lattice question.

There is a zone I am defending against daily attack. In the process of this defense I use Zone Assaults and Shockwaves to clear enemy Attack bots from the zone so I can redeploy defenses. However the more I do this, the more of my own Attack bots continue to pile up. But since Attack bots come after Deflection but before Lattice in the kill order, then all these excess Attack bots are diluting the effectiveness of my Lattices, aren't they? Because my Deflections will be killed before the Lattices' bonus really begins to be felt, right, if I have 80,000 Zone Assaults in there? And by the time the enemy gets down to the last few Zone Assaults, those will be a lot easier to kill than they would have been if they'd been Deflections, amirite?

I feel like the Attack bots might be better off placed behind the Lattices and removed from the calculation of their bonus, due to this (unless I'm understanding it wrongly, which is certainly possible). I rather don't like the idea that by attacking enemy bots in my zone, I'm weakening my own defenses by diluting the Lattice.

Thoughts?

Use seekers and/or plasma beams to clear the attackers...

The problem is that his enemy isn't using Seekers, they're his own attack bots piling up.

There is a zone I am defending against daily attack. In the process of this defense I use Zone Assaults and Shockwaves to clear enemy Attack bots from the zone so I can redeploy defenses.

I'm not sure if they're included in HL calculation or not but until you find out you can clear their attack bots with Seekers and they'll stop build attack bots, this is especially effective if they attack with Shockwaves. If it's a Swarm player let me know and I'll go slap them for not using Seekers as part of their attack strategy... they should know better by now.

The problem is that his enemy isn't using Seekers, they're his own attack bots piling up.

I think his point was that instead of using Zone Assaults or Shockwaves to clear out enemy bots, McPwn should "attack" them with Seekers instead. I can attest to the success of this, having used Seekers many times as an attack formation to clear out enemy cruft.

Currently attack bots do dilute Lattice's bonus it grants to the Deflections, but I've made the developers aware of this and hopefully it will be addressed soon.

In my own zone I'm defending, I do use Seekers and/or Plasma Beam upon occasion to clear out the cruft and replenish my own Seekers. But there are some intricacies to this and times when it's less advantageous, and it's better to use attack bots. :-D