The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Q&A on 2-18-2013 Formation Updates

To summarize, I think the question on the table is: should Shockwave and NanoMissile bots stand in front or behind Hardened Lattice on the battlefield? If they are in front, they take up some of the buff from HL, reducing the buff for bots with good defense. Putting SW and NM behind HL, maximizes the buff for bots with good defense.

BUT... HL are not cheap. Maybe they should stay in front. They would be like the weak and wounded soldiers picking up arms to protect the HL. They can't do much, but with a 100% buff from HL shields, it might be just enough to buy you time to get something else in front of the more expensive HL bots before they get wiped out?

I suspect way more effort will go into debating this than the few minutes it will take for me to make the code change.

I'd expect them to be behind HL. Even with a 100% shield boost they aren't going to take up more than a couple of formations and I would rather have the extra shield bonus to the Deflectors/Absorbers who will actually make use of it. No shields x2 is still no shields.

My two cents:

Hardened Lattice should act on all attack and defense bots. The solution to the problem is not to exclude attack bots from HL's protection, but rather to stop making attack bots pile up so fast in the first place.

I hate to mix up threads here, but we need to stop letting attack bots accumulate and return to the old behavior of having them rejoin the combat with each launch. And make it impossible to launch attack bots unless there is an enemy present (to ward off the "insta-tidal-wave" McPwn described somewhere), just like Plasma Beam works now. Then the number of attack bots "crowding out" other bots for HL's protection would be minimal.

And make it impossible to launch attack bots unless there is an enemy present (to ward off the "insta-tidal-wave" McPwn described somewhere), just like Plasma Beam works now.

The issue with that is without attack bots in the zone the enemy can just pile deflectors in the zone. You need to be able to put some aggressive bots behind your lines when defending to prevent that.

While I'm not a fan of shockwave and missiles accumulating, But I kinda enjoy the zone attacks as they are now. In the spirit of keeping things simple I'd say leave the bots in the current order and then change HL to only count (and only benefit) the defensive bots.

The issue with that is without attack bots in the zone the enemy can just pile deflectors in the zone. You need to be able to put some aggressive bots behind your lines when defending to prevent that.

I thought this is what Seekers were for?

Maybe make nanomissiles and shockwave rejoin the fight, but have zone assault build up? This would further differentiation the usage of zone assault compared to the other offensive formations: it isn't as powerful, but you can destroy bots while building a beachhead.

To summarize, I think the question on the table is: should Shockwave and NanoMissile bots stand in front or behind Hardened Lattice on the battlefield? If they are in front, they take up some of the buff from HL, reducing the buff for bots with good defense. Putting SW and NM behind HL, maximizes the buff for bots with good defense.

BUT... HL are not cheap. Maybe they should stay in front. They would be like the weak and wounded soldiers picking up arms to protect the HL. They can't do much, but with a 100% buff from HL shields, it might be just enough to buy you time to get something else in front of the more expensive HL bots before they get wiped out?

I suspect way more effort will go into debating this than the few minutes it will take for me to make the code change.

What ever happened with this?

Are attack bots still diluting the effect that Lattices give to the Deflections and Absorbers? Do the Attack bots still come before the Lattice?

Thanks.

Just to rejuvenate this thread a bit.

I was taking down a 100k zone, held by Legion. I'd used seekers to clear the offensive bots and built up a beachhead, to protect my boosters. I had full deployments of deflection surviving no problem.

There were also some Faceless bots (3500 approx) in there but my seekers didn't touch them, so I assumed they were defences.

When I took the zone and whittled away at the remaining Legion defences I eventually got to the Faceless bots which were missiles!

Seekers should have killed these at the start. They should also have prevented me from deploying full defences.

Bug or an update? Anyone else see the same?

It's not a bug in Colorado we had a legion zone called marnett it stacked 12 million high bots faceless and swarm wanting the zone cleared the attack bots of the inactive legion player. We were able to stack with 100% survivability due to the legion player leading the zone with no attack bots. Even in the battle when we got lead and faceless was third we could stack with 100% survival rate. It's a weird mechanic I'd like to see what the reasoning behind it is.