The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Recruiting to the Smallest Faction and Switching Sides

There has been some discussion on the announcement of the latest Windows Phone release about the new registration process on Windows Phone, that will be coming to iPhone (and Android) soon. I'd like to expand on that topic here.

In the new registration process, if you are currently located in an area that has activity, the faction leader for the faction with the fewest number of zones in the area, will popup and "beg" you to join their faction. An example of the text is, "The Faceless control most of the zones in this area. We need your help. Enlist with the Legion and help us turn the tide in the battle around [Your City Here]"

The text tells you who is winning and who is losing, and thereby who is in second place. This change was put in place because I have received dozens of emails requesting to change factions because they joined the team that was already in control of their area and had no one to fight. (This was before faction switching was available in the game). After the faction switching was made available on the phone, I started receiving many emails asking if the penalty points could be reversed because the player only switched because the wanted to join the losing faction so they would have someone to fight, and didn't think it was fair to be penalized cause they didn't know better ahead of time.

I've never received an email that someone wanted to switch factions to join the winning team, although I do know that happens, but much less frequently.

So, I have put in the recruiting to the losing faction in direct response to what players have been requesting over the past 6 months. Some people think this is unfair to those that have invested time and money into the game to build a kingdom and think the recruiting should be random. I think we must keep the education in place to let people know who is winning and losing around them, otherwise it doesn't solve the problem of players who want to join the underdog. Some players have suggested to let new recruits look at the map before they enlist. Viewing the map without a tutorial of what the map means would probably confuse players coming into the game without a friend to explain it. So I tried to keep it simple.

Also, discussion has come up recently (outside the forums) about allowing a player to switch factions without penalty. Perhaps we allow one free switch before level 10? Maybe we allow you to switch as many times as you want before level 100? Maybe levels 1-99 are the proving ground (allowing you to jump back and forth) and at graduation you need to pledge allegiance to your true faction.

Whether the grace period is 1 switch or 99 levels (or something else), switches during this time would still destroy all your nanobots, but you would not gain spy achievements, and therefore no rank penalty. This would also make it possible for established players to more easily convince new players to switch factions, before the penalty would go into affect.

I welcome discussion on the recruitment by the losing faction leader during registration and ability to switch factions during a "probationary period." Keep in mind I may not change anything at all (for a while at least), as any change in this area could be a significant amount of work. Also, keep in mind the problem statements

1. Help people get into the factions that will satisfy them the most (someone to fight vs joining the winning team).

2. Keep the process simple to understand by new players (if it takes a long time for you to explain it, a noob probably won't get it)

3. Try not to stray too far outside the existing process (keep the developer work as small as possible) (Example: having the noobs deploy neutral bots is a big effort, requiring us to add a 4th faction of "none")

Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting that your basing it off total zone control, not total Bots. I think I'll be uninstalling just to see which faction is said to be in control of my area... Is area defined as the state you're in or is it (for example) a 40 mile range?

I like the idea and the implementation!

EDIT: shoulda guessed it would be swarm, which means it is range based probably? Or is it based on the actual city you're in?

I think the 'beg' message from the weakest faction is a good idea. Even with the recent activity in my area I still would like newbies to pop along and join in. Regardless of faction, maybe not more swarm tho, they're getting like flies round the proverbial here in the UK. :-).

The idea to have penalty free switch sounds like a great idea, up to level 100 because you sorta know what's going on by then and gives established players the chance to lobby and convert them.

Thank you silver for deep explanation.

I understand the "beg" message from the weakest faction, but i think about two problems:

1- You choose the loosing faction, you start playing and understand very quickly that you can only launch 60 bots against +50k zones, or a very active player. I think it will work only if you're "alone" in your scope's area.

2- Choosing to help a losing faction makes us away from the purpose of the faction it self, i mean i made a choice because of the story of QONQR, and joined the Legion, maybe if a faction called for help i'll be a Swarm or a Faceless today..(i feel suddenly sick ;-) )

anyway, i'm just sharing my impressions here, maybe the ingame messaging turned on by default may help, as active players can contact/explain/help/threaten new players (and yes this also can be opposite to the choice of a faction because of the QONQR story), maybe it wont.

still sharing impressions:

I'm against the "none" faction / blank bots, as Silver said, these bots will be actually part of a faction anyway.

For the switching faction terms: yes the penalties are huge, but you deserve it ! ;-) reaching level 10 is too fast in my opinion to allow switching without penalty, maybe a higher level suits better BUT i have another idea to submit about that,

Give the choice to the player who wants to switch, between:

1- Lose every bots + 30pts rank penalty + reset awards.

2- Keep every bots + reset scope, cubes, qredits and bases.

Last but not least, about the in game recruitment, i have a peaceful idea lol, to be able to switch the leader of a zone by making our own bots become his if he accept to switch. this could also be a solution for someone who, for personal reasons, need to retire from QONQR without losing/leaving every thing he has done.

++

Like the beg message. I'd like the same idea used for switching including enticements to pick weaker sides. That said, apparently, people want to switch to weaker factions so apparently that not needed. I do think -20 is steep.

Personally don't like it. But also don't think it will effect the game greatly either. The more u play this game & the more players u talk to, 95% pick the faction they pick because they are "geared" that way. The one's who will do this are to ones who won't be playing in 2 months. The hardcore players are loyal for the most part. Like SillyCrez, the idea of becoming one of the other factions turns my stomach. I'd quit first. The other 5% are the ones who want to go for merc. Again, geared that way. In the end though, I'd bet most of those will eventually flop back to their original faction. Regardless, for whatever reason they flop, not good enough. They should be penalized & I think penalized more than it already is. It was brought up about not figuring out the game, if u haven't figured out the game by say level 20..... Wow. By then it should just be attack/defense formation and how to use them to the best of their strategic abilities. If I offended anyone, sry. Just my opinion.

I think it's a good change for the game. Do I like it as someone who has wrestled for control of my area? No, but hopefully I can open dialog with these new players and convince them to switch.

I think free switching until lvl 50 would be good. Level 10 happens too quickly before you really understand how to play the game. Level 99 is too long, imo.

New Swarm and Faceless players appear in my area, new Legion players in other areas. I can't tell for sure if it's because of the new signup procedure, but it looks that way at least. I agree with SillyCrez that the reason to join a faction should be because of the story of that faction, but probably a lot of players don't care about the story and choose at random. So this beg message is helpful for them. And will be ignored by the determined.

Again I agree with SillyCrez that messaging should be on by default.

As for the penalty-free switching, I'd say until 1 week after signing up or level 50, whichever comes first. And only switch once penalty-free. If you decide to change, it's in the first period. After that you stick.

I think free switching until lvl 50 would be good. Level 10 happens too quickly before you really understand how to play the game. Level 99 is too long, imo.

As for the penalty-free switching, I'd say until 1 week after signing up or level 50, whichever comes first. And only switch once penalty-free. If you decide to change, it's in the first period. After that you stick.

I think this is a great idea.

One free switch before level 50 then enact the penalties in full force after that point. Sweet, simple, fair and helps satify those of us who think having all your bots detonated and being penalized 20 points is too harsh... ignoring the fact that points really mean nothing :P

Also, Silver since I think i mighta defected before lvl 50... (disregard whatever the records actually say) can you revive all my bots from before hand :)

I think that this is a good idea, though I would, slightly, adjust it.

Roll the story as if each player somehow came into contact with QONQR, and started trying to figure it out, on thier own. From the data they managed to make their own Scope and start to use it.

This makes them pop-up on the radar of the losing faction. The losing faction, in the area/province/county, sends a recruitment message stating their cause and need for able bodied agents.

Basicly, because we can switch factions, we are essentialy a Merc/Scope-for-hire.

The Qredits earned is payment from a faction for holding the zone.

Adding a bonus for joining the losing faction, something like pumping the bot tank to 3, because the faction finances your start-up. They still have 60bots vs 50k zones but they deploy more, faster and thus lv+ faster without imbalncing the game becasue they start surrounded by a fortified foe.

For defecters, give them something like 5 nanomissles (handy and easy on the wallet)

Furthermore; drop the -20, the rank should not be affected as the player bring combat exp' to the factions assets.

- Assign alternate titels behind the rank, depending at which level they turned (PFC-Rebel / Corporal - Turncoat etc)

- Intergrate a trust system/icon, so that the enemy can recognize betrayers of their cause.

" I agree with SillyCrez that messaging should be on by default."

The mechanic is working. In leicester legion and swarm are the most prolific. This past week there have been about five or six new players start, all as Faceless.

However none of them are contactable. We have one faceless player who would love to build a cooperative in our area, but cannot get in touch with the new players. Likewise established players have no way of communicating with noobs to negotiate, and thus more often than not they are getting swiftly crushed.

Somehow new players should be encouraged to have messaging on as they are going to have to negotiate to survive as the new mechanic means that more often than not they will be popping up in heavily controlled and gaurded areas.

Penalties should be on a scale. So first switch faction is -5, second is minus 15 and so forth. I got put into a faction I wasn't trying to join and when I switched received a 20 point penalty. I'm level 100 and top 20 in my region as a private. Seems a bit harsh as most achievements only offer small increases in points.

It really hurts newbies who don't quite yet get the ranking points system.

The rewards get rather large as you stick around. Making the higher ranks more valuable and harder to get. I can understand your point of view, but I think they'll keep the current ranking system and reward system but just add more rewards later on.

since if you increased the rewards everybody would have those high ranks and they wouldn't be as desirable anymore.

Not all of us are like that. You really shouldn't group us together like you just did. I can proudly say I am of Swarm and not on any kind of illegal drugs or the like. So like I said you really shouldn't stereotype us like that. How would you like it if said that all legion members are war-driven bone heads that don't/can't/won't understand QONQR is here to help us not hurt is? (Oops I just did hehe) Anyway how do you like it?

Not all of us are like that. You really shouldn't group us together like you just did. I can proudly say I am of Swarm and not on any kind of illegal drugs or the like. So like I said you really shouldn't stereotype us like that. How would you like it if said that all legion members are war-driven bone heads that don't/can't/won't understand QONQR is here to help us not hurt is? (Oops I just did hehe) Anyway how do you like it?

Is there a GOOD reason you just copy pasted Adrean's Post in another thread?

Pretty hard to do 'accidentally'.

Anyhow a newbie I've recruited has made level 10. He's Swarm and not had rank points reduced. I thought recruits are automatically recruiters faction. So therefore defection in new players is free from penalties? I don't mind, more the merrier :-)

Can anyone confirm the same?

Or I pm'd the wrong person.....lol

Thanks Supertramp that answered my query perfectly. :-)

I'm starting my recruitment drive, a;for rank points and b; to spice up my area more.

I have a couple of ideas but I would be interested to see what methods other members use. My recruits so far have been luck more than any thing but not really trying either.

Family here mostly. Some friends with all not going Legion but cubes is cubes :-). Showing them is better I've found. Let them mess with it on your phone. Do it yourselfers like to experience rather than be told about it.

I am all for this idea. I joined 11 days ago after a player for legion went to reddit.com/r/portland requesting help that Portland needed help. When I joined I stared as Legion then I looked around the city to see that they own this town. The last location based MMO I played for close to 2 years (Sahdow Cites) was grossly unbalanced most of the time. So I ate my -20 points and switched to Faceless the true challenging team in Oregon. I would love to really have had the option to understand the lay of the land before I joined a team.

*edit sorry for the drunken typos, and what not