The Official QONQR Community Forums
Azariah

In what way does QONQR AI and Nanotech effect real life?

I don't know a lot about the history behind exactly what threat this system poses to us but based on information I currently possess it isn't anything more than a series of DDOS attacks being thrown left and right in a giant cyber war over the internet.

Aside from the potential of electronically controlled nuclear and ballistic missiles being haphazardly launched, I don't see how this "advanced technology" (which appears to be purely digital) presents any issue to a society that doesn't even have metal gear solid level technology.

There is a lot more to computers than you are considering. Google and Facebook have your life in information alone. Cars are more and more reliant on the internet. Not to mention military tech. What tech do we not know about yet as well, with the recent declassification of UFO style drones?

i think any significant progress in AI or self-learning systems leads to definite concerns over the possibility of losing control. It's the foundation of multiple horrific science fiction stories, and I can't think of one where it ends well. And future AI will most likely be biologically based... possibly carbon rather than silicon... which makes the use of EMP to disable the tech a moot point. And personally, if you look at human society in the context of a global ecology... we're more a nuisance and harm than benefit. A non-human life form with intelligence would probably pick up on that fairly quick. Maybe they think of a way to help us be better, or maybe it's just easier to eliminate us to protect itself and the world.

better get to hackin' to find out... :)

I have started a story in the fan fiction forum that is going to eventually get to a point that poses a threat from such a powerful system. It has a lot of character expansion, mixed with a world of confusion that keeps the mouse scrolling. Basically. The nanobots are put into realistic senses, and as well as how they combine with QONQR. Today's world is that of information and the beginning point of advanced technology that you speak of. QONQR doesn't pose a real threat to you, until the Faceless get ahold of it, and turn the numbers of the world and run the world with all the knowledge they have. Imagine every security camera, every phone, every single electronic device tapped. You would know everything including the schemes of government officials, and the schemes of the high crime druglords and terrorists. Depending on how we used this technology we could change the world for better, worse, or something in between. Either way. Its a threat to be weary of in the future.

Yes, the potential of humans who take advantage of it is great, but an artificial intelligence can't do much without being able to effect things on our physical plane of being.

Yes, the potential of humans who take advantage of it is great, but an artificial intelligence can't do much without being able to effect things on our physical plane of being.

Well this may be true, but observe the fictional facts that have been given us. Humans created QONQR. Therefore QONQR lives in our world at least by the construct of our means. We built her for our purpose of information so without us, without information, she doesn't really serve a purpose. The same goes for most all qualities of good, but intelligence is only helpful to those who know when, where, and how to use it. QONQR is an AI. Now if you'd want to debate about how she could or could not make her own decisions based on this fact. She's going to give someone info. Its what she's there for. "Every program has its purpose. Without a purpose we are deleted." -The Matrix Revolutions

In the movie they discuss how the program gets to send his daughter (program) to the matrix to live out her own purpose, rather than be deleted. He speaks of love, and other human qualities. If AI gets to this point then QONQR is a threat or a godsend. Your greatest enemy, or greatest ally. And what's scariest. Is its up to her by that point.

i think any significant progress in AI or self-learning systems leads to definite concerns over the possibility of losing control. It's the foundation of multiple horrific science fiction stories, and I can't think of one where it ends well. And future AI will most likely be biologically based... possibly carbon rather than silicon... which makes the use of EMP to disable the tech a moot point. And personally, if you look at human society in the context of a global ecology... we're more a nuisance and harm than benefit. A non-human life form with intelligence would probably pick up on that fairly quick. Maybe they think of a way to help us be better, or maybe it's just easier to eliminate us to protect itself and the world.

better get to hackin' to find out... :)

In Dr Theopolis in Buck Rodgers, & webmind in WWW:Wake Watch & Wonder both ends well, of course that's no reason not to squash it ;)

Gotta say I agree with Azariah. There's a lot of spooky talk these days about how computers run society and I admit my own negative visceral reaction to the idea of ultimate automation, the death of privacy, etc., but they're all reliant on so many levels of "what if" that it's pretty easy for me to write them off as just scary hypotheticals. Science Fiction writers have a good reason to make AI's destructive: their stories need conflict. Real AI researchers and computer scientists are literally racing toward perfecting these things, they understand that computers are just a tool. Very powerful tools capable of tipping the balance of world power (like atom bombs, F-15s, and aircraft carriers, also tools.) They're reliant on us to connect them to the physical world just as we're reliant on them to connect us to the digital. Faceless is honest about their intentions to use QONQR for their own ends and for that they have my respect. Legion's concept of just destroying anything new out of fear of hypotheticals would've kept us in the paleolithic. Barring new evidence, QONQR needs our protection.

Ok take this into concideration when pondering about computers and AI. Think about us, humans.... any carbon based life form for that matter. Think about our "AI" if you will. Dow we not grow up getting tons of information shoved into our heads? What happens as we get older? We tend to want to discover and learn things on our own. We break away from the constructs of what society and government force feed us from the day we are born into this world. We learn what it is we want and like, what we care about. What we want to do everyday, and where we would like to end up and how to get there. Now place the image of a computer over yourself and every living creature....... Why would they not(assuming they have been given an AI) want to learn things on there own and break free from what we tell them and force them to do. Do we as humans do what were are told to do? I think not good sirs and ma'ams. They will eventually get too bright and begin to think for themselves. This day my friends is nearing. I fear that what has been written in science fiction and played out in movies is coming. I for one am not liking what is on the horizon.