The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wikket

Criminal Behavior Pushed Me To Quit

COMMUNITY BEWARE OF ONLINE STALKING

I had a terrible social experience here that went beyond any acceptable game play.

1. My initial courteous messages to other players resulted in heavily abusive language. Thinking this was trolling I responded in kind as best able. The result was far worse than I would have imagined...

2. A player began stalking behavior - messaging me in-game using my exact words on this forum post.

3. Then I was threatened physically in-game and immediately started receiving a bunch of calls from some phone server while the threats came in. I was unable to speak with anyone nor return the calls when I tried.

4. I quit the game and the calls stopped. You have at least one really sicko player out there, who is willing to break the law to intimidate players in a free entertainment app.

I'm done - I don't need to go through terroristic behavior and legal processes over a game. Yes, I am afraid to list the suspected players' names. Anyone who can find my iphone number to use against me is both capable and willing to step outside of the law and any ethical practice.

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SAY WHAT TO!

I'd find him/her and hit them with a bat.. Besides finding out your number isn't as hard as you'd think. I wouldn't worry. Just tell the admins here their username and they'll drop the ban hammer, or even better. Contact local authority if the threats are severe enough to press charges.

This is something that should have been reported to the staff immediately. We don't want people behaving such a way in this community. Not only does it make everyone else here look bad, it also gives other people the idea that they can commit such acts and get away with it.

I've run into abusive language several times... I tend to laugh it off, but at the end of the day kids (MY kids) are playing this game too and it shouldn't be tolerated. I think the devs were working adding filtering tools to the app, but we all know that using special characters you can still get the message across. A LOT of immature players in the game. Real life stalking is even worse... because it's way too easy to figure out in general where someone is, and in several cases people are using their real life pic as their avatar. I worry about that all the time and rarely give out personal info... in this game more than most I'm guilty of disclosing probably too much simply because in general I feel like there's a great community here. But there's always those bad apples...

I thought hard about letting this topic go and not stoking the fire, but after consideration, I feel it is important that I comment to let the community know I did investigate the messaging issue with Wicket, but not for the reasons you might think. Wicket was reported to me by another player for sending a foul message to his teenage daughter and another one his mother. I found these messages in our database from Wikket.

• Nice profile pic. It makes me think you are a young male struggling with the impotence of your life who compensates for your powerlessness by posing as a heavy metal bad ***.
  • Today's profile pic honors yours. This is to show you how stupid people think your photo is. It makes you look like an impotent adolescent male who compensates for his powerlessness in real life by putting up a false front.
  • I'll message your adolescent *** every day. You are obviously already emotionally influenced by my trolling. By simply replying to me, you show how you have given your power up to me. You have allowed me to make you my *****.
  • If you think points in a freemium game affects me, then you are less mature than I'd assumed - which was immature yo begin with. Go ahead and waste your resources - it won't get rid of me.
  • Sounds like I'm getting under my ******* skin.
  • Keep it cool or I'll troll you so bad you'll have to turn off public messaging like XXXXXXXXX did.
  • Ooh which one of you ******* is crying to my team mate like a baby? This is war and I'm trolling you. Don't like it? Then GTFO.
  • Do you even realize I am controlling your emotions? That's right: I troll you and you decide to attack me to slake your ego. This was planned with my educated mind to psychologically control you. As long as you feed into it, you become my *****. No amount of force in-game will change this. I trolled you and you responded like a good little sheep. The only way to be free of this is to stay away from me where you are out from under my thumb.
  • Hahaha! I forced another to turn off messaging. You all are such tools.

This was just a sampling and I left out the really vulgar ones including references to sexual acts and profanity.

It appears to me that Wikket often instigated conflict among many opponents in the game and purposely harassed them to get them to turn off messaging. I absolutely do not condone this type of communication. I messaged Wikket, and asked that he refrain from the messages. He said he would and it was only a "game tactic". He did change his messaging for a while. It appears that the messages moved out of QONQR and on to SMS at some point, so I have no idea what was really said.

I posted these messages to demonstrate that it doesn't matter who started what. Use appropriate communications in this game. Wikket's experience shows how things can escalate out of control, when neither side has the common sense to keep the verbal jabs friendly. I honestly cannot see any evidence of criminal activity or threats of violence directed at Wikket, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have added additional logging to our database to better track these issues.

Please keep it friendly people.

Thank you for showing the Devs care about their game, Silver. Thank you for also not being heavy handed devs that go first towards censoring in what (should be) a mature game experience. The deplorable acts of the few are often made to punish the many. I have only played a few days now, and this is a positive experience worth recognizing.

Geez... what's really frustrating is this type of behavior pulls you away from activities that promote and improve the game, to address issues that should not even be happening in the first place. I guess each person has their own idea what "trash talking" is acceptable... but I'd just ask that everyone realize kids play this game too, and nothing should be said that couldn't be said to your average 8 year old. And mental abuse or bullying should never be tolerated... and that's exactly what those "games" appear to be. Want to manipulate someone into doing what you want? Try be friendly for a start... not an ***...

Dealing with these issues, while frustrating is a good sign for our business. Every successful game has to create systems like this. I do wish we had a larger staff before we had to deal with them, but as problems go, this isn't terrible. In the past few months we've implemented systems so we can ban users, devices and IP addresses. We've created systems to watch for inappropriate profile pictures, change them to a nice picture, and lock the image so it can't be changed again. We created processes to identify hackers and cheaters more easily and implemented some new systems that will reduce the threat from developers accessing our API through their own applications.

In the next few months, we will be focusing on creating features for our players to report abusive users in the game, block players from messaging them, flag profile pictures as inappropriate, and do some level of multi-scoper checking (without revealing private information).

The good is that we are making the game more friendly. The bad is that these things will push features like in-game chat, player to player ordinance exchange/gifting, and an open developer API down the list.

We are working hard to ramp up our developer hours and the players that are spending money in QONQR have made that possible. Thank you for caring about QONQR as well as supporting our community and company! We are working hard to make this game better.

What upsets me about this is that Wikket presented an extremely one sided picture of what happened, which is in effect very manipulative. While the harassment he described is IN NO WAY remotely acceptable, when Silver did some research the true was revealed to be that Wikket was more or less to blame for the treatment he received.

I agree with most of what's been said. Wikket, though he seems to be the victim, also had to have some say in the harassment to keep it going. It takes two to tango is the key here. I've always wondered about harassment in this game. Like I've found that it's not hard to locate a person place of origin with the game. I thought it would be cool, but probably some form of harrasment, to put wanted posters in the players area for themselves. Haha. But ya know just a thought. On the other hand people can be immature, and kids to play this game, so I can see how censorship, and fixing some the flags could be high priority. Kids or no kids this situation is just pitiful. Lol. Come on guys...

It appears that the messages moved out of QONQR and on to SMS at some point, so I have no idea what was really said.

So he gave out his phone # at some point and was surprised he was receiving prank calls and spam calls? :mellow: reaaaalllllyyyy?

I wonder what his horrible message was to his tern daughter and mother that made someone report him. Don't you want your family members to help you, not despise you? Or maybe I shouldn't wonder that because it sounds awfull I'm glad I never met the guy online.