The Official QONQR Community Forums
Seleas

Regarding the Purchase of Zones

I've noticed comments about people taking and holding zones through the purchase of cubes and formations through such. Figured I would create a thread to gather individual opinions in one place regarding such. As I am creating this thread, I figure it is only fair I share my ideas on the subject first.

QONQR is a game of conquest. Conquest suggests war. In war, the side with the most resources wins. To be fair, resources does not necessarily mean money. Money does help outfit an army, but other resources, such as manpower, charismatic leaders, access to technology and technology developers also play an important role. Drawing this parallel to QONQR, several of those factors apply to the game as well.

To directly address those that use money to "purchase" wins: It's a valid strategy. If you have the wealth to have the power of 3-50 people, and have nothing better to do with that wealth than to support a game I thoroughly enjoy, more power to you. As a low-income player, I personally see it as a matter of pride that my opponents are threatened enough by my efforts to spend money on the game.

Those purchases are directly funding the improvements in a game I enjoy. I know those funds are directly improving the game I enjoy thanks to the activity of the game's CEO. I ask everyone who reads this to take the time and think about the games you have played in the past. How many of them have had regular updates and direct involvement between the community and the development team. How many have had that same involvement between the CEO and the community?

I understand it can be a huge morale hit to try and fight against someone with money to spend on the game. That's why I choose to look at it from the positive side: I am a threat. I have concerned my opponent enough to spend their money on a game. I have applied enough pressure on my opponent that they needed to take a rapid response solution. Have I dealt with this personally? Yes. Have I dealt with this on a regular basis? No. I need to step up my game to force this on more occasions.

I understand a lot of factors go into the different situations of fighting against money, but this is how I feel about the general situation as a whole.

I look forward to hearing how the community responds to this thread.

You can catch up with players who have spent cash upgrading, its just a patience thing. As for players buying cubes for refreshes and using them for defences they probably will get bored soon enough from not having patience.

Sit tight, harvest, upgrade and build an arsenal up while killing their bots for free. It can't get better than that.:-D

I have not purchased cubes yet. I've used several that I have "Earned" through recruiting. I have in fact recruited so many that I have people use referral codes other than mine to help new players. We now have a large enough team in my area that when we get together we can take down major zones through our numbers alone. I try to leave new players of other factions alone so that they do not quit or have to spend a fortune to be able to compete. Since we can already pound people into the ground I don't have the need to buy the cubes, but may do it anyway just to help with game dev. This now ties into the post I made about wanting to be able to gift cubes to people, in game, without having to go through PayPal

You can imagine an op being like a cube saving account with all faction members stashing away in one account and, I suppose, that account could act as a banker dishing out for attacks or for helping overwhelmed players. I could see major arguments over that scenario though :-)

I think people are nuts when they do that.... I mean i'm with Murgatroyd7, I enjoy when people get mad at me for destroying them or hear people have spent money to keep up with me.... I haven't spent a dime. I also don't see a point in truces or agreements or anything of that nature. Play the game, stop looking for free passes.

I'm not sure I see how it's that big of an issue to be honest. You only get 500 bots refresh per cube, so if someone spends $18.99, they get 25,000 bots. That's roughly 3 full bot tanks? So lets say 1v1, you both drain the scope to maximum overheat. Now they get (worst case 8200*3/1200=20-21) 20-21 more launches for $19 bucks. That's equivalent to two people basically. And it really won't even be that because they need energy refreshes too. So more like 18 extra launches. And if they go $35.99, That's 36 extra launches after max overheat. If you're by yourself, then yeah, it'll be hard to fight that if they're spending 18-36 bucks 4-5 times a day. But if you find an opponent that has that kind of money, grab some help (anyone within 400 miles with missiles), and make him drain his bank account. Then go grab a steak and savor it while thinking about how your opponents pb&j tastes. They'll stop eventually.

Anyway, if they do it once a day, it's really not hard to overcome. If they spend money like crazy, set up an op, smack him down. As more people start playing this game, you'll need teamwork to survive.