The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silver

Save the Nanobots!

Today I am announcing the release of the new web portal. Eventually this will be the place you go for new leader boards, in-game chat, reporting inappropriate/cheating players, and more.

However, today the portal launches with very limited initial functionality. You can register via the portal (this is where your recruiter QR Code takes you) and you can buy cubes. When you buy cubes on the portal you use PayPal. I realize not everyone can use PayPal, but it is all we have for web purchasing at this time.

Some of you know this already, but Apple, Google, and Microsoft all take 30% of the money you spend in QONQR (except Microsoft drops down to 20% after the first $25,000 a year). PayPal on the other hand changes a transaction fee, then charges a small percent. On a $99 purchase through Apple, QONQR gets $69. Through PayPal we get $96. We prefer our big supporters support us by buying cubes on the website.

To that end we have created the Save the Nanobots Campaign. This campaign is only available on the web. You support the campaign by adding $1 to your purchase at checkout. Each extra dollar we earn goes towards developing the QONQR lore. Also, if you support the campaign, we will give you some free cubes with your order. You can learn more by visiting http://portal.qonqr.com

I'm sure you've read this, but just something to consider regarding in-app purchases vs. having to move to an external site like PayPal (see Premium Currencies section):

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php

Basically, moving away from a one button purchase gives the brain more time to process the decision, resulting in lost sales. Add in other factors (What's my PayPal account again?), and the question worth asking is: "Can I make up the extra money lost to transaction fee on volume alone?"

I don't think he's removing the option from in game, I think Silver is just saying for those of us who are buying cubes anyway because we love the game and want to support it's development, here's how we can give more.

edit: Totally forgot to actually comment on the topic.

So glad to see this moving forward! I can't wait for stuff like this to take the game to the next level! Thanks for setting this up and letting us know how we can support you even more directly!

Thanks for the link vttym. I am well versed in virtual economies. I actually think managing a virtual game economy with dual currency ranks quite high on the difficulty scale of application design, perhaps the biggest challenge.

It is quite challenging to build a balanced economy where you avoid a "Pay to Win" scenario, while still trying to maximize revenue. Unlike many freemium games who try to weed out the free players, we need our free players because they create game content. This makes the economy even more difficult for us because we have to give people who spend money a success that justifies the spend, while at the same time, keeping the free player from quitting because the game seems unfair.

I know we aren't perfect, but we are trying to at least be good. We appreciate everyone's financial support of QONQR. I've recently hired two summer interns and added another part time contractor to work on one of the mobile platforms. With any luck, we'll have 1 or 2 full time employees by the end of the year. Heck I might even reduce my work day to 12 hours, or take a day off once a week :)

Thanks everyone for helping to make us a success story.

Didn't even need more cubes, but wanted to drop a $1 in the QONQR lore fund. Love the portal. Can't wait for more!

I agree, what if we want to just help fund the lore and don't need cubes?

I agree, what if we want to just help fund the lore and don't need cubes?

If you don't need the cubes, buy for a lower level player in your area or for your recruits. There is an option to buy through your own account for other players, just enter their codename on the purchase screen.

I think this new portal is a good addition for us, especially if we can find here weekly or monthly refreshed country statistics with a graphic to see last 12 month performances...

But this is only one idea, many more can be added.

Silver, I hope you are able to get those employees! It is high time the Legion had another Master Sergeant! Keep working hard, and know we love the game and support you! Now play it more! ;)

I'm not seeing a +$1 option on smaller purchases (even with a smaller benefit than +5cubes). Is there no incentive for smaller purchases to go the web-portal->paypal->web-portal loop instead of the one-click in-app purchase route?

I would guess that since the $1.00 donation gets you 10% of the cubes purchased, anything lower than the 50 cube bundle starts to have value and quantity issues.

For example at 25 cubes if you were to get 10% more (2.5). Since its not an even amount they would have to round up. That means the cubes you donated $1 for are worth $0.33 each. and the cubes in the 25 pack are worth $0.40 each. So the savings are marginal.

If you go lower to the 10 cubes, the 1 bonus cube you would get at 10% is worth $1.00 the cubes in the bundle are worth $0.50 each so there is negative savings for the customer.

I would guess the decision came down to, do they make it a fixed amount for the donation, or make it a percentage. A fixed rate means people would buy cubes and get, say 5 extra cubes for the $1 donation. Where the percentage system encourages larger purchases to reap greater benefits for the $1 donation, and gives Qonqr a larger income off of the sale for the normal package.

I would guess that since the $1.00 donation gets you 10% of the cubes purchased, anything lower than the 50 cube bundle starts to have value and quantity issues.

For example at 25 cubes if you were to get 10% more (2.5). Since its not an even amount they would have to round up. That means the cubes you donated $1 for are worth $0.33 each. and the cubes in the 25 pack are worth $0.40 each. So the savings are marginal.

If you go lower to the 10 cubes, the 1 bonus cube you would get at 10% is worth $1.00 the cubes in the bundle are worth $0.50 each so there is negative savings for the customer.

I would guess the decision came down to, do they make it a fixed amount for the donation, or make it a percentage. A fixed rate means people would buy cubes and get, say 5 extra cubes for the $1 donation. Where the percentage system encourages larger purchases to reap greater benefits for the $1 donation, and gives Qonqr a larger income off of the sale for the normal package.

I think people buying from the portal would be willing to support the company anyway, seeing as they know QONQR gets a larger profit percentage when purchasing through the portal, and they want their purchases to be counted toward the goal even if they can't afford the larger packages. The real problem is that people would end up buying multiple smaller packages rather than one larger package.

I think people buying from the portal would be willing to support the company anyway, seeing as they know QONQR gets a larger profit percentage when purchasing through the portal, and they want their purchases to be counted toward the goal even if they can't afford the larger packages. The real problem is that people would end up buying multiple smaller packages rather than one larger package.

I agree. I wasn't saying to buy lower amounts through the app instead. I was just saying that Silver was trying to be fair about how the extra cubes were being handed out, and to encourage bigger purchases. Helping the game is why I bought the cubes I have already. and the obvious help they offer, but I'm not some kind of cube junkie I cant afford to be lol