The Official QONQR Community Forums
Massune

Decency..it's not just for outside the game.

Seriously...is it that hard for people to just be DECENT.

I know this is a war game...deception, espionage and coordination come with the territory. I'm not even referring to cube accounts or multi-scoping, though those topics get an honorable mention here.

I'm referring to people that feel the need to be bullies in one form or another. People who have no other outlet for frustration other than being EXTREMELY lewd and offensive. I'm sure most of us have run into one at some point or another...those people that make you question the social aspect of this geo-social game.

I've been playing for a while now and have been fortunate to avoid some of the more abusive people I've been warned about but, unfortunately, an ally of mine was sent one of those WAY to common messages today...and it makes me sick.

I have friends and family beyond this ally who play and the thought of someone truly close to me getting treated the way this individual was makes me sick. The offending party has been reported and again, unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done beyond that.

I know the devs take this seriously and I appreciate the work they do...but its on us players to be decent, not the devs to police the situation.

I encourage ALL players to report SERIOUS misconduct, whether directed at them or not...be voices for those that would remain silent. The person you know may be able to handle the abuse, but the person you don't know that's being treated the same way bu the same abusive individual, may not.

I call on the Qonqr universe to maintain the social aspect of this game! Make yourselves examples to new and young players on the needs of decent behavior and call out those that would do otherwise.

Play the game...be a general, a soldier, a spy, a traitor...but do it knowing its a game. Know that, regardless of how you play, when the scope gets put down you haven't intentionally harmed another outside of the game.

Just be DECENT peopl

yeah evil force you to quit through word abuse people exist and we need to show how all players can ignore there need for power

You can turn your messages off if its that big of a deal to you. Or just not read the offensive messages. I've never understood why people let themselves be trolled so easily. If you don't like something someone says then stop listening to them.

In a perfect world it wouldn't happen, but a stranger's words shouldn't have the ability to upset you so ultimately it shouldn't matter. Also, monitor your children online and DEFINITELY keep their messaging off in pvp games.

Well these are attempts to not allow people to talk with faction mates and has me somewhat worried at this behavior and cuts people from surrounding players and that good side of working in teams such sadness is a result and quitting after playing a short time those people who bully only seek self empowerment and must be dealt with by total destruction of what they control and a stern message of why this has happened to them. That is all.

The only time you should worry is when abusive and threatening behaviour cross from in-game into real life and the offender makes clear they know your real life identity. Then the police can get involved... All in-game forms of abuse and threats aimed at your in-game character should be taken with a pinch of salt and laughed at because you've obviously annoyed them and it's the only way they can retaliate.

If you want to counter them you can a) keep doing what you're doing and/or b ) report them to the Dev's in the hope they get hit with the ban hammer and/or c) name and shame them so we can also laugh and point at them :D

Note c) may infringe forum rules in which case go for a) and/or b ) and/or post c) elsewhere :ph34r:

I'm not disagreeing with you kittens...all excellent advice on ignoring the trolls, but a person shouldn't have to abandon the social aspect of the game because of abuse and ignoring them just moves them on to the next target. I'm not foolish enough to hope for the perfect world scenario...I would, however, like to see a shift in peoples attitudes towards the problem.

Trolls will be trolls...since the inception of online ambiguity they've crawled out from under their bridges to do what they do best...try to make others as miserable as possible as anonymously as possible. The best defense, with the billions of them online, is definitely ignoring them. However, with the Qonqr community being much smaller and more easily self-policed, it's not only possible, but relatively easy, to hold them accountable. At the very least, the community can more easily discern who the troll is and put a spotlight on them.

The idea that you have to ignore a troll simply doesn't cut it in an online community of this size...that is what I want people to understand. Taunts and bluster are one thing...lewd, racial and sexually offensive abuse in a tight community such as Qonqr can be regulated easily by people willing to step up and do something about it.

You shouldn't have to mute all to mute one...especially here. All we have to do is make the effort. We, as a community, have the ability...I'm writing to try and stoke the desire of people who have a willingness to stop these people. It won't take much...just be decent and call for action against those that aren't.

As for the incident yesterday...Im waiting to see if the account is banned. If it isn't...I'll message the devs to ask why not. Calling out the offender on the public forum would just lead to more of the same. Though some would say the individual would deserve a taste of their own medicine...that doesn't fix the problem, it just gets more people acting the way the offender did. I'd rather not play the one step forward, two steps back game.

Then stop reading their messages, if the troll sends you a message just delete it without reading it. Turning you messages off is not the only answer. You aren't going to change the internet by reading filth and then preaching about how bad it is. This "community" is just going to grow and this "problem" will just get worse.

And give this troll my name. I love reading really filthy insults. It gives me ideas to help me stay fresh for my offices terribly and horribly not HR approved banter. Unfortunately all the legion in Austin are friendly, mature, and therefore lame adults so I'm never bothered in Qonqr.

I suppose I'm being a bit preachy here, aren't I. Yuck...my apologies. Well, I suppose it was worth mentioning, at least. The whole situation just irritated me. Still...here's hoping a few will clean up their acts. (Bows, dismounts soapbox with a stunning backflip and disappears into the darkness...ready to, when needed, return to wax poetically about the hopes and needs of online etiquette.)

Don't apologize. Your reaction is completely reasonable and there does need to be a way to block people in this game. I've seen in the feature requests boars that it is being worked on and I know the devs will get it to us as soon as possible.

I'm weird, I love being trolled but understand some people are have a sense of decency. PvP games bring out the worst in people and its a real shame how far people take things.

Many of the faceless in Virginia and North Carolina use an app messenger to chat back and forth. It is way better than the in game messaging, runs on all our different makes of phones, and allows 10 people at once in a conversation. I rarely use in game messaging anymore.

Many of the faceless in Virginia and North Carolina use an app messenger to chat back and forth. It is way better than the in game messaging, runs on all our different makes of phones, and allows 10 people at once in a conversation. I rarely use in game messaging anymore.

What client are you using? There's a few of them out there, but it seems like many aren't very good on WP.

I agree wholeheartedly. there is no reason we can't keep it to an appropriate level of competitive banter without getting R or X rated. It will be nice when you can ban messages from certain players or if you could turn off messaging from opposing factions but still be open to your own. I have received those type of messages and I ignore it and offer no response, however that did not keep them from sending multiple messages of the same variety. Some people do this I'm sure so you will turn your messaging off and be unavailable to your own faction. Anyway I think the the overall jist of the thread is right on, while players can ignore messages it would be better if we just keep it clean.

I'm feeling very left out here! I've received strange messages, accidental messages but never any raging torrents of abuse type messages :blink:

What am I doing wrong?

how could anyone be mean to someone named butterball? makes me think of happy thanksgiving thoughts of turkey and mashed potatoes and football. :)

you just don't have an offensive enough name. now massune? that's crazy offensive. makes the blood curdle. i can feel the rage building already.

massuuuuuuuuuuuuuune... gosh, no wonder he gets all the hate mail...

:P

how could anyone be mean to someone named butterball? makes me think of happy thanksgiving thoughts of turkey and mashed potatoes and football. :)

you just don't have an offensive enough name. now massune? that's crazy offensive. makes the blood curdle. i can feel the rage building already.

massuuuuuuuuuuuuuune... gosh, no wonder he gets all the hate mail...

:P

I'm a Cenobite, a servant of Leviathan. Somebody opened the box, so I came!!!! I am not Thanksgiving turkey, mashed potatoes or a football dammit!!! :huh:

Funny, I always just assumed you named yourself butterball out of fun, butterball never did seem a name to strike fear or rage.

First, his profile pic is terrifying. Second, the name makes it even more so.

Anywho, I have gotten my fair share of hate mail.

When I first started, in my home area with 7 faceless, and 4 swarm, all top 10 or close to it, I had 1 faceless player who was adamant that I quit the game. He was obnoxious and aggressive, like I was really a threat at level 1. He never tried to flip me, only wanted me to quit. He had a massive amount of territory, landwise. His attitude just made me that more determined to play. Between some local friendly swarm who gave me tips and said they wouldn't attack me if I stayed west of a certain interstate (which I upheld), determination, and a lot of legion support I overcame him. He later quit, I powered through those faceless, their multiscope accounts, and when the swarm quit, I went after the people that wiped them with a vengeance.

When I got up to the top 10, I started getting hate mail and pleading e-mail from faceless trying to social engineer their way into free zones and bases for them and their buddies or alternate accounts. At that point, I started looking forward to it.

Along the way, I've run into a lot of people that try my patience. A lot of the cheaters are really glib about their actions and go out of their way to contact you or make sly remarks. Support can't catch the clever ones, so what do they care? Through it all, I've been sociable. I've been friendly, talked smack, and bluffed or blustered my way through a lot of nonsense, but I've never been hateful or obnoxious about it.

I fully support these people who cross the line being banned, however the devs manage to work it out. It would be a tall order as these players who know the system well enough to cheat without giving the devs the proof they need can also use those same techniques to bypass a ban. At the same time, any ban the devs impose could prevent future innocent players with that IP address, phone number, etc, from playing the game.

If the devs can't do anything, I'd call for a forum movement. If someone posts a copy of a message, then opposing faction rise up to bomb the **** out of that player and their faction members do not defend them.

I personally have not received any hate mails, though I'm level 100 and message new players all the time. I **** off many faceless as well, but so far, they've been very mature and civil about it. I wonder why it happens to others and not on some....

Meh. I sit on a toilet for a reason. I'll just flush his bots. ;)

My bots are like floaters, annoying and never go away :ph34r:

First, his profile pic is terrifying. Second, the name makes it even more so.

See, everyone must listen to LoH_Chimera for he knows the truth! :)