The Official QONQR Community Forums
JagFel

Buying Zones...

Is killing QONQR participation in my area. As we speak I'm being bought out of a 200k zone that took me days to build. I pumped new life into QONQR in Oklahoma when I stirred up Que13 (Faceless) and he started taking the game more seriously. My friend and I knocked him down to less than 100k bots total, and now's he's about to crack the top 50 in the country. Then I recruited and recruited and built Legion up to where my recruits have 2 of the top five spots in OK. Number 5 is a turncoat who my nephew recruited (guess who recruited my nephew?) that got tired of not being able to play against Faceless.

Now, Faceless spends so much money in my area, people are starting to talk about quitting. We're playing the same game by a different set of rules. I know real $$$ spent on the game is good for the devs, but it's not fun anymore. Why wait to recharge? Just buy cubes! You'll overwhelm you're enemy while they have no chance of responding.

In my opinion, it's hurting the game. I've "bought" cubes with MS gift cards to upgrade my scope, and I think that's a great use of cubes. Buying zones? It discourages competitive spirits. Now number 2 Faceless brags "we're older and richer" (whatever that's supposed to mean). I work two jobs so my wife can stay home with our baby, and QONQR is a little something that I can enjoy while doing either job. Used to enjoy.

Not whining, just a vent. In my opinion, and I'm not saying this is how the game should work, using cubes should be limited to scope upgrades.

Lovin' the Legion,

Jag

Its a pretty difficult topic, and one that if it were to be treated even slightly, it would tale considerable effort. I pretty much agree with you. I was imagining the other day, if I were to buy thousands of cubes, I could just stream roll my entire 30 mile radius with little resistance to this considerable power. Then I got an idea.

what if people can buy all the cubes they want, and all the refreshes but put a limit on how many refreshes per day can be used. So yeah, they still have an advantage, but they're not steamrolling.

or this could be worked in to the overheat system. Say you're in neon red overheat and you just keep launching and launching, using refreshes to keep going. What if there was another level over overheat called meltdown or emergency shutoff where the bar turns black, doesn't restore bots, and doesn't launch anymore. Then you have to wait til it cools of again for safe usage and launching.

sound like a good idea?

To be honest, I think the best way to combat the buyers is with the coming android release. The Devs need the cube purchases to keep the game afloat, and I'm sure if you broke it down, you'd see that most people don't buy cubes. Most of the ones that do, only buy upgrades. Then only a rare few buy refreshes. I don't see nerfing that system being beneficial to the longetivity of the game... However when the new version releases, and a great many new players flood the system, buyers will have more targets to spread their $ over... and conversely, there will be more players to team up with in defense. Just my thought..

Had a million bot zone bought out and stacked to 1 million. We launched an assault to take it back and we managed to get it down to 450K before moneybags rolled through and pushed the zone back to 1 million. Glad they're helping the game out, but it's basically one guy dumping a ton of cash into the game to keep that one zone. His faction mates help too, but not to the level he does.

The OP lacks too many numbers to draw any real conclusions.

I've been asked by more than one person if I buy bot refreshes, knocking a 200k bot zone down to 100k is no big feat when the time taken is left out & presence/lack of active defense fighting for the zone. That goes double when talking about a maxed scope player doing it to a 59% scope one, either the bot tanks & damage enhancer discrepancy alone is more than enough to make it seem fishy if you don't realize the difference, but the same could be said if the OP were level 59 & his opponent were 100.

Bot refreshes are a terrible return on qredits (and cash as a result if you are buying qubes).

So in that case, you snicker behind his back.. and trash the zone again. Keep going until Silver can buy a new Mustang.

It says that there was a problem storing my reputation vote. So for the sake of expressing my appreciation of your post: Like

Honestly, I take pride in knowing I made someone spend money on this game. It tells me they've realized they're not good enough to beat me, and require some sort of assistance or advantage as you will, in order to compete with me.

Not stepping on the toes of those you who do spend a lot money, its kind of the point of the app, is for silver to make money (not saying that's his only intention either haha!) I choose to have the disadvantage of not buying cubes. So in the end, I'm not arguing, but I'm sharing points of view.

Yeah this topic always made me wonder if someone like bill gates dropped a whole ton of cash he could just keep going on forever. However at the same time, when you think about it, unless you are loaded, the best way to play against a buyer is to just keep playing. They are wasting their money on a game that can't really be 'won' because there really is no finality. You are always going to have to be on your guard unless you just tire of the game and give up. Its not like you are buying a brick house over a wood house in terms of longevity. Your just both buying wood, its just one guy can buy a lot more if it.

Keep in mind that, like others have said, QONQR is a start-up that does need funding.

I would be shocked to find out if the dev's plan to keep the cube system in place, as is, after the game gets to a certain point of sustainability (or gets bought-out, perhaps). Look at any other major MMO on the market (I'll use WoW as an example, as I used to play). If the auction house system in WoW were based on real monetary values, the richest players would lead the raid progressions, or dominate the areans - simply because they could afford to buy the most expensive/best stuff, and not worry about it. It does eventually ruin the balance of the game.

However, look at the past weekend when we crashed the servers. Until they can get enough cashflow to support more staff, better/more servers, etc. they need a way to keep the game afloat. Just in the same way that money can make-or-break a zone battle, money WILL make-or-break a startup company.

I think adding in daily cool-downs on refreshes would be a great idea. Or perhaps, making scope upgrades more.. attractive (for lack of a better work).. somehow. Say, increase the cost of refreshes, but decrease the cost of scope upgrades via cubes (so you get more bang for your buck on upgrades).

Another point to the OP. Lets say your 'rich' friends have invested tons of money on refreshes and nanos and 'buying' zones and/or the area destroying all those who don't spend. Now lets say you manage to get a massive 30+ person strike on said 'bought' area and you guys cause massive damage to their zones. All that money got them where exactly? Sure they can spend more money to recoup but their financial investment didn't seem to last too long. Who has more to lose? The person who basically plays for free and spends time building up zones and maintaining control or the person who spends real world cash to attack/control an area which could be taken back anytime given the right amount of players?

I'm all for making my enemy spend a ton of money. I know it's going to directly help the game, even if I lose a zone/base or two.

I'm all for making my enemy spend a ton of money. I know it's going to directly help the game, even if I lose a zone/base or two.

Exactly. I get a challenge to overcome, enemy gets to feel superior, QONQR gets cashflow. Win all the way around, especially when I know I'm MAKING them spend money. Not that I haven't spent, and I will again as I've really come to enjoy the game and the community, but it's more fun when you know you're calling the shots, even if you don't have the zone lead. For me, anyway. ;D

Its a pretty difficult topic, and one that if it were to be treated even slightly, it would tale considerable effort. I pretty much agree with you. I was imagining the other day, if I were to buy thousands of cubes, I could just stream roll my entire 30 mile radius with little resistance to this considerable power. Then I got an idea.

what if people can buy all the cubes they want, and all the refreshes but put a limit on how many refreshes per day can be used. So yeah, they still have an advantage, but they're not steamrolling.

or this could be worked in to the overheat system. Say you're in neon red overheat and you just keep launching and launching, using refreshes to keep going. What if there was another level over overheat called meltdown or emergency shutoff where the bar turns black, doesn't restore bots, and doesn't launch anymore. Then you have to wait til it cools of again for safe usage and launching.

sound like a good idea?

Mostly Agreed with you. The meltdown/emergency shutoff overheat level should only apply to people using way too much refreshes, then there is a complicated calculation here that combines too much deploying and/or too much refreshes. Since too much refreshes always come after too much deploying, so it might be a better/more striaght forward way to just limit the number of refreshes you can do per day, or reduce the amount of refreshes each refresh can do (like after xxth refreshes, only add 2xx to bots tank instead of the normal 4xx)

They bought out 3 zones from us in the last day or two. You literally cannot do anything to people who are dumping large amounts of cash into this game. The one player stacks to 200K in matter of minutes and can easily fend us off, especially with help from his faction mates.