The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Know the Switch Factions Rules

I've had some very angry emails today from a couple users who are upset their rival achieved the ability to switch factions freely having played for one of the factions for only 1 hour. I've been accused of doing favors, changing the rules, and various other backhanded deals. It appears it comes down reading the rules. You do not have to play for every faction for 60 days in order to earn free switching status. Here is a common scenario many players have used to achieve free switching status and avoiding playing for one faction they despise.

1. Start with Swarm

2. Switch to Legion (earn Spy) play for 60 days

3. Switch back to Swarm (earn Double Agent) play for 60 days

4. Switch to Faceless (earn Mercenary) immediately switch back to Swarm or Legion

Below is the complete text on the switch nanobots screen. It is the same text that has been there from Day 1 with the exception of the level 100 rules that went into place earlier this year, where you could switch as much as you want before level 100 , but those switches don't count towards the medals.

This text has been part of this description since Jan 15, 2013.

"Players that earn all three spy awards, may once again switch factions at any time as they could during the training levels 1 through 99."

Prior to Jan 15, the text said this.

"Players that earn all three awards may be given the opportunity to switch factions more quickly in future updates (contact support for more information)"

I pulled that right out of source control, which includes the entire change history. Here is the complete text from this page. http://portal.qonqr....r/SwitchFaction

WARNING: Defection has consequences!

• Self-destruct will be initiated on all your nanobots. Without the self-destruct, you would be required to battle against your former self to regain control of your zones.
  • You will lose the capture and leadership of any zones you currently hold. Lifetime captures will be unaffected.

If you are still completing the training levels and have not reached Level 100, you may switch as often as you like to find the faction that suits you best.

Once you have reached Level 100 switching factions has rewards, but also has additional consequences beyond the self-destruct of all your nanobots. Defection will usually result in a demotion in rank. This is accomplished through awards with negative rank points. Those awards are:

• Spy - First switch to an opposing faction (-20 points)
  • Double Agent - Return to a faction from which you had previously defected (-20 points)
  • Mercenary - Become a member of all three factions (-20 points)

Other Faction Change Details:

• You may not switch factions again until at least 60 days have passed since your last faction switch.
  • Defection point penalties are applied only once per award
  • Players that earn all three spy awards, may once again switch factions at any time as they could during the training levels 1 through 99.

The decision to switch factions is one that must be made with strong determination. Nanobots cannot be reanimated once destroyed. You will retain your earned experience, level, formations, qredits, cubes, and upgrades. However, as far as your zones go, you will be starting over.

I believe it may be necessary to change the name of the Mercenary award. Internally we called this "Rouge Agent" when we were designing it. I think we should make that the official name. The community has adopted (probably correctly so) the term "Mercenary" to refer to anyone who can switch factions freely. The double meaning of someone who can switch freely and the name of the medal is probably creating confusion.

I tried to swtich via the iPhone app and switched via the web portal. However when I launched the game and entered my new info, I received a error message. Please be advised. Thanks!

You know, I've mentioned this before, but there is a group of us that started before defection was an option, let alone being able to do it freely prior to level 100. I think those longtime players should be able to have one defection without sustaining the -20 rank penalty.

I don't really like the -20 penalty and would like to have some option for not having it as I was part of the game and reached level 100 long before defection was an option.

if its regarding the rank points, I believe there are enough now with the hidden achievements to still make top rank with one faction switch, which I guess is ok.

I'm not against the idea of letting the first switch be free, but the 2nd and 3rd should cost more in my opinion. maybe something like 0, -30, -60 (i know the total is higher)

You know, I've mentioned this before, but there is a group of us that started before defection was an option, let alone being able to do it freely prior to level 100. I think those longtime players should be able to have one defection without sustaining the -20 rank penalty.

I don't really like the -20 penalty and would like to have some option for not having it as I was part of the game and reached level 100 long before defection was an option.

I agree with this F3N. I defected my from Faceless a little bit after defection became a possibility through via emailing support and requesting it personally. There where no rank points or anything back then. I agree with having this -20 removed for us.

On the Service Record Review page (http://portal.qonqr....t/ServiceRecord), there is this text written:

If you have previously defected from another faction to join your current faction, you can request a review of your service record to determine if your loyalty to your current faction justifies an award to offset the rank point penalty you earned when you defected.

Does that mean that even the Rogue Agent penalty can be offset? It's not very clear, but I think it is possible. Does anyone tried it before, got all three medals and have restored all the rank points penalties (top -60)?

On the Service Record Review page (http://portal.qonqr....t/ServiceRecord), there is this text written:

Does that mean that even the Rogue Agent penalty can be offset? It's not very clear, but I think it is possible. Does anyone tried it before, got all three medals and have restored all the rank points penalties (top -60)?

It takes 360-480d (depending on the route you choose) to offset all penalties but there are some players that have done it. i think they still can switch at will (and without penalties, except bot loss of course) after that. The negative rank points are offset by positive achievements (3 x 20 points).

It takes 120 days of consecutive days in a faction to regain your lost points, after defection to another faction.

This is a whole year of play, very enjoyable too.

Thank you so much! The biggest mistake I made was leaving Legion even if only to help be more effective to fight another faction. I returned back and now went from SSG to MSgt because of the fix. I am very happy, ty