The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

New iPhone Release

A new update for iPhone is available. Before I tell you what is new.....

Please spread the word. If you have an iPad1 or iPod Touch 4 (or older) wait on the latest QONQR release that became available last night. We are getting word that these devices are experiencing issues.

iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4S, and 5 all passed full test cycle. Other devices: try at your own risk until further notice. We are looking into the possible issues.

What's New?

This release starts the beginning of a fairly significant rewrite for the iOS platform. My devs tell me the iOS7 best practices for app development have had some big(ish) changes. Some of the changes are recommendations, others I'm told are a requirement. For example, a few months ago Apple started telling developers they would reject any apps previously build for iPhone 4s, that did not take advantage of the larger iPhone 5 screen. So we had to take quite a lot of time to redo all our screens layouts or risk getting rejected. I'm told there are similar things that must be done for the next iPhone, but I don't have all the details of what those things are. What I do know is that as part of the rewrite, we are optimizing many things. Memory management is one thing that has been improved and we hope it helps avoid crashes such as when the older devices run out of memory with the current release, especially on the map which uses much of our memory.

Speaking of the map. This is where you will see the biggest change. Our lead iOS guy put his creative hat on late one night and came up with this new screen layout. It is sleek and fluid and saves some clicking. Look hard for the Leader Board and Center Map buttons. They are there, but you might miss them if you don't look closely. I'm sure this won't be the last revision to the map UI.

I already saw it on my friends iPhone! I love the coordinates on the map! They would come very handy on the windowsphone to! Plus a part where you can put in coordiantes an jump to it on the map! Would be much easier to implement than the already requested zone search, but be about as effective!

Also the performance is SO MUCH BETTER! Z├╝rich with it's 3300 zones (very high density) was a pain in the *** for navigation (still is on my lumia 800)... now on the iphone (4) it's way better!

Good work!

i like the high tech look, but the zones don't switch color in conflict areas as fast as they used to... like i can hover over a purple zones but in the bottom left it shows legion has more bots?

While the red haze is cool, I noticed that the colors for faction bot counts in the lower left corner are not as easy to distinguish as it was in the previous release. Several other members have shown me that they have an even thicker haze on their phone, making it harder to tell by color what is in their area. Otherwise the new release works fine for me.

you mentioned it saves some clicking but I find I'm having to click more. I don't like the screen move, making you put the cursor on the center of zones. Used to be able to rolloever without the screen moving or resizing. I also see it needs a denounce on the initial move if you move from of center. there should be a setting to having the map move or not.

You can still tap a zone and it'll auto centre on it. I find it better as I was always accidentally bringing up the launch page for a zone while I was actually trying to move across the map.

So far zones seem to load slower on map for me...and maybe I just need glasses, but I'm having a hard time reading the bot counts in lower left hand corner. Also not a fan of the map needing to re-center on every zone you click on.

While the red haze is cool, I noticed that the colors for faction bot counts in the lower left corner are not as easy to distinguish as it was in the previous release. Several other members have shown me that they have an even thicker haze on their phone, making it harder to tell by color what is in their area. Otherwise the new release works fine for me.

Hi MandoJedi -

The bot counts could definitely be improved. The previous font was a less tight at the same size. We will explore making it more readable / pronounced in the next update!

We will also look at the haze a bit closer and make some appropriate adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah my daughters older iPod touch 3rd Gen will not run the game now. Do y'all plan on fixing the issue for the older iPod touches or do I need to plan on buying her a newer iPod :-/

she updated it before I could tell her not to. thanks for the great support. I am on windows so I dont get the cool upgrade lol

Yeah my daughters older iPod touch 3rd Gen will not run the game now. Do y'all plan on fixing the issue for the older iPod touches or do I need to plan on buying her a newer iPod :-/

she updated it before I could tell her not to. thanks for the great support. I am on windows so I dont get the cool upgrade lol

We will be addressing older devices that are not getting the iOS 7 update with a separate version of QONQR that's optimized for iOS 5 and 6:

- iPad 1

- iPod Touch 3G and 4G

- iPhone 3GS

What's the timing on the separate version for older ios versions? I unfortunately downloaded this morning for my 4th gen Ipod Touch before reading this. I'm also assuming there is no way to uninstall the last download/reinstate the prior version.

I am not very happy about the update. It would be easier to look around if you didn't know that you could previously hold one location and let the (pre-launch menu) come up and while still holding your finger on the screen moving around to look at other zones very quickly. although you don't have to zoom in and back out to get all the zones in Baton Rouge to load anymore.

If my comment about the map confused you, message me and ill explain further.

I'm having a discrepancy between the map view zones showing ownership and count and actual zone ownership and count. Millburn, nj was showing legion in map, I clicked to the leadership view and it showed faceless owning it. The leadership board is correct. When I went to map it still showed legion as owning.

I had qonqr on all night as is usual and It did clear when I unloaded it and reloaded. But this means recent zone losses may not show on front map.

Yeah if i hear "dad i need to harvest" one more time i think i am going to make her get a job.

Thank you Kitrik, Silver and guys. I have to say of all the games I have played online QONQR has the best support to date.

Frank we will talk just let me get this week behind me.

Quick update:

A few iOS 6 API calls slipped into the build which is what was crashing iOS 5 devices (iPad 1, iPod Touch 3G in particular). Those have been fixed up and it's working great on those devices again!

We're submitting today so it should be live in ~4 days.

There are definitely issues with the iPod Touch 4G devices that are running iOS 6. This combo is kind of the bane of all Apple Dev's existence. It was a difficult device BEFORE iOS 6 and iOS 6 just made it so much worse. We are looking into possible solutions to make it more performant as we want to do our best to not "leave anyone behind".

Cheers!

I noticed a new action on the "Exchange" screen called "Sychronize". What does it do? (Afraid to click though and find it exchanges all by Cubes into Qredits..)

I noticed a new action on the "Exchange" screen called "Sychronize". What does it do? (Afraid to click though and find it exchanges all by Cubes into Qredits..)

It's a "restore purchases" button in disguise. In the event that there is a problem with completing a purchase on the QONQR servers, the transaction would be in a "pending" state. Every launch the app tries to finalize these "pending" transactions, but there is an *extreme* edge case where you delete the app with transactions in this state - so this button would help us restore those pending transactions and credit your account correctly.

:-)

You can push it - it will do nothing.