The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrackerJack4

Cube Spending, by region

So, Faceless have unlocked the second reward in the Save the Nanobots campaign. Obviously overall Faceless spend the most (at least via the web portal).

However, with the recent topics popping up over the whole "pay-to-win" controversies, I was wondering: is there a way to see spending by faction, by region? e.g. in Minnesota, what faction spends the most on cubes? Or create a 3-color "heat map" of the US where the faction who spends the most, fills in the area.

The heat map would probably be something thats not high on the priority list (game features & fixes coming first), but it would be nice to see some day!

The heat map is a very cool feature to manipulate for many reasons! I love that! It could be good to highlight cube spending, population, rank, and other random curiosities a player may have in their region. Their could be a selection menu in the map to show these, I think it's brilliant! :D Good idea amigo.

Silver has, in the past, said that he won't implement anything that shows who spends the most where. Some people do not wish to have their spending amounts publicly known. Personally I am against this, not because I spend, but because I think people's spending habits shouldn't be flaunted.

While the heat map idea for the other things is an excellent idea and I'd love to see that.

I can see where the whole, here are the people who spend the most money would be a bad idea. But breaking it down by faction and not be player should obfuscate that to some degree. I guess the case can be made that the people in an area will have a pretty good idea of who spends money, and to a degree the amount they spend without any kind of functionality in the portal or the game, so seeing that one faction spends the most money in MN for example, and everyone knows that one player from that faction spends money, it would give some idea to the magnitude of how much if players from one faction share with eachother how much they spend, but still not dollar amounts, just a degree of how much more or less they might spend in comparison to another player or faction.

I don't think Cracker was looking for X person spends Y dollars on cubes, but in MN, Swarm buys x% more cubes then the other factions. While this might still be distressing (people can do crazy things with data) my off the cuff quess would that this woulnd't in any way lend any info into picking out "cubers". If someone cubes, you already know it and you have some idea as to how much. What does having a % more cubes bought then other factions risk telling people about a particular players spending habits.

I agree that this is probably something we won't see, but if done in the correct way, I don't neccessarily see a ton of risk in doing something.

I don't think it's such a problem of knowing the other factions spending, besides ganging up on the highest spender or lowest depending on the the area. But more of a problem with the calculation of how much they're making, and accusations of lazy work for the money they receive, and blah blah blah. It's whatever. I like the idea of the heat map mostly anyways, very interesting.

Yeah, I agree anonymity must be a main priority if something like this ever were to be implemented - however I can totally see how it will become pretty obvious to who is the the one(s) spending on cubes.

I still think having a "heat-map" of different data values would be an interesting pretty cool thing to add to the command center. On that note, when is the command center coming to iPad?!

Cracker - the long and short answer is that the command center will never be coming to ipad, or to an android tablet, and the windows app will never see another update. The web portal is where all future "Command Center" like things will go....and will be the eventual replacement for all the command center does. At least that is what I remember either reading somewhere in the forums or from Silver himself at some point.

I think implementing that idea would be bad. While it is good in satisfying a lot of curiosity, the trade-off will be plenty bad. It'll cause fights and arguments as it'll morph into a tool ppl would use to point out how Faction A can only win by spending and if the data can be tracked live, be used to narrow down to the individual/s. And when you think about it, should those people be made to feel guilty they used cubes? Which supports the ongoing development of this game so many are so passionate about? So anything that can be twisted to be used negatively against the people who support the game with cold hard cash is a step in the wrong direction. Because I would fear the day that this source of income evaporates and Silver sadly informs us he has to shut up shop because the game is no longer financially viable to maintain.

Would the game be as big and as fun if you were the only player in your city because the app cost $5.00 to purchase? Would the game still be enjoyable if the screen had an ugly banner taking up 1/4 of phone screen? Or needing to watch a 30sec clip every time you harvested?

The game is fun because it can be played totally free. I haven't used cubes in builds or attacks but the option is there if I want to level the playing field very very bad. Everyone has the same options as everyone else. And cubes are priced where it is accessible to just about everyone (however long they can maintain the spending is a different issue).

Now it would be cool if resources were spent towards making the game better and more interesting like a location bonus (see my earlier thread) or new weapons! Or any idea where it could have an impact on the strategy aspect. And if we want all this nice surprises in future updates, it will require more cubes being spent basically. I know it sucks to be on the end of a sustained cube attack but step back and look at the bigger picture. That cuber is helping the game grow and evolve and more importantly, keeping the game continuing.

Please note I'm not attacking your idea. I'm just pessimistic how it could eventually be used, which won't be good for the game.

I don't go for this. As all there is is a colour people will start throwing around blame and drawing conclusions from these bare margins.

If people spend, reward them as they are paying for the free players server space and developers. Don't throw them to the free players to be beaten.

Speaking as objectively as possible...

If you visibly attribute a metric to a faction (especially one that's commonly viewed as unpopular), it's not outside the realm of possibility that everyone in that faction could become stigmatized by association; "Oh, you're in x, you must do y."