The Official QONQR Community Forums
raymon

Power tilt and the decline of a faction.

Once a faction starts to lose zones steadily, it becomes increasingly more difficult to recruit and retain members due to the lack of accessible cash zones for the new recruits to grow. As a result, I've seen many cities become a two faction game, or completely overtaken by one faction. IMO, QONQR is best when there are three active factions.

• How can the game mitigate these scenarios where the game become less fun for certain areas? or is this by design and not really an issue?
  • Do you experience this in your areas? Please share your tale.

Go look at Austin and San Antonio Texas.

Austin use to be 100% Legion, and we never had new Legion join. The few that would start legion we always had issues with getting them to stick around because they'd complain about not having anything to do.

As for having enemies show up, there was no end to that. We where constantly having new players for the other factions. We where doing very well with it, except we've run into the issue of having our zones cubed to the ground. But that's a topic for a different area.

Look at San Antonio. Its solidly purple. Its how Austin use to be... It gives underdog's something to work towards, having an enemy to always fight.

As for balancing issues, there is no way to fix this besides trying to find a way to influence people's first faction pick or getting them to flip. Qonqr already has in place a system that when you're picking your starting faction the first one you see is the faction that is most under-represented in your area. That's about all you can do I guess!

I have to say this is very much the case in London where is is dominantly swarm and legion, one or two lone faceless with one or two large zones. Effectively the faceless have been eliminated there. as a result new recruits tend to choose one of these factions. It is the same story across the UK, but not as bad. Last I checked, around 3/4 of the country is just swarm and legion.

Of course, they still have many strong ops around.

Of course it is more fun when there are three factions, but it is part of the game to try gain control of an area, besides over time the factions will change and the absent ones will work their way back in. Dominant factions often get bored.

We are the same in NSW Australia except that it is principally faceless and swarm. Sydney CBD is a 2 horse battle between the 2 with legion only occasionally holding a small base because no one sees them as a threat. That being said though there are effectively only about 20 current players which is small for a city of its size so unless we get more players you will often get 2 (or sometimes 1) faction in control. The game does look to put new users into the smallest faction - however they can lose interest quickly if they keep getting hammered by the dominate forces and have no support from other operatives. The game is definitely more fun when you can act as a pack and communicate with each other.

Swarm are in the same underdog boat in NSW we are slowly gaining ground on Faceless who for the most part have been playing lot longer - I am impressed how vigilant the longer term faceless players are - easy to be full on absorbed when you start out but these guys have been going a long time and still playing hard - makes in fun trying to slowing pull them back

My whole area is a bit on the stale side. Got some zones left to kill, leftovers from the 'family' who didn't multiscope but all started played and quit at the same time!. New players pop up sometimes, I find them in a zone and destroy them. They might get a welcome message maybe. But they never play for long, very rare if they even hit level 100. No stamina these newbies, what can you do?

yes, that's another problem with a dominant faction. New players just cant get through a lot of the time, I tend to let new players take a couple. Had a guy who took one or two zones, but then captured a base zone, it took him all day and I recaptured that one zone with one round of launches. He said he was giving up then. Others often try to start in some of my larger zones and barely make a dent.

I don't think their needs to be a balancer put in that will undo the hard work of the victors. It is the job of those losing to change the situation. Asking for a buff because things are getting "difficult" is counterintuitive. With too many balances there is no qonqring, only a stalemate.

In my experience, it doesn't matter what faction holds an area down, things will change and they can change fast! I've been through multiple wars on my home turf and it all boils down to who is the most persistent. I've watched more than a dozen players quit because they can't keep up.

I think that on average 1 out of 10 players that join play till level 50. After that half of those die out in 6 months and the rest of us stay in the struggle. The game doesn't need more forced balance. This either is a game you like or is not. You either choose to fight the easy battle or build from nothing. If your area is dominated and your bored flip to an underdog team and watch the chaos. Seen it happen. There is a whole other sociopolitical layer to this game and that's what keeps most people playing.

I think that on average 1 out of 10 players that join play till level 50. After that half of those die out in 6 months and the rest of us stay in the struggle. The game doesn't need more forced balance. This either is a game you like or is not. You either choose to fight the easy battle or build from nothing. If your area is dominated and your bored flip to an underdog team and watch the chaos. Seen it happen. There is a whole other sociopolitical layer to this game and that's what keeps most people playing.

I'm in an area where my faction is heavily outnumbered through most of the state & would benefit from the type of thing the OP suggests, but I still think it's a bad idea for a few reasons:

• All of the awards are given for playing offense (zone captures/bot kills/etc) with very few /none being defensive (recruitment, complete training/buy ordinance) all benefit an attacker just as much, if not more than a defender.

• I have a couple locals with basically no bases of their own, they just plant them in other people's territory with shared faction & occasionally deploy a few thousand here or there. Incentivizing these people to flip is a terrible thing & just serves to make the weaker faction a target for both the other factions

I think you are dealing with one of the largest misconceptions about the qonqr game, the belief that building a giant empire equates to victory. It doesn’t help that the leaderboards on the mobile clients only recognize those that are building giant empires, but they’ve all be duped. For the most part, the achievements of the game recognize taking zones and killing bots, nothing else. There is very little benefit to controlling more than the 22 zones that host your bases.

The region where I live is almost 100% controlled by Legion, and I love it! I’ve killed 3 million bots and captured 300 zones in the last 2 weeks alone, it’s amazing. On the other side, take Rocco as an example. He used to be the top bot destroyer in Illinois, now he’s pretty much a neutered dog as his faction controls everything within 25 miles of him.

The region where I live is almost 100% controlled by Legion, and I love it! I’ve killed 3 million bots and captured 300 zones in the last 2 weeks alone, it’s amazing. On the other side, take Rocco as an example. He used to be the top bot destroyer in Illinois, now he’s pretty much a neutered dog as his faction controls everything within 25 miles of him.

Heh. I love how Faceless can take even the most desperate situation and somehow try to turn it into a favorable one.

"Oh, that 35m bot zone that Legion rules right next to me... I'm so proud of that! I love it!" - RebelFalcon

Good times. So, yes... Legion pretty much controls everything around Chicago, give or take a few little players that hunt and peck like skidmark. And kudos to mark for cleaning out all the shockwaves and ZA we used to topple the huge Faceless towers that used to litter the geography. That's an easy way to get kills... try to keep it up once the offensive bots are gone.

And zone captures... the Chicago area has *hundreds* of zones. Most have only a thousand or so bots in them, so it's easy enough to keep swapping them. But what is it getting you? All of *8* zones leads. OoOoOoOo... look out for the skidmark! :D

I do agree that just building towers isn't a true measure of the game. But neither are kills if you have nothing to show for them. Nor zone captures if you can't hold them. If you were to stop playing today, your impact on the game would be negligible, other than a few witty IGM left in the queue. You've stopped no Legion from growing, nor holding zones, or even distracted us much from ongoing battles. Which are becoming fewer and fewer to reach without missiles. THAT is the real issue I'm having with the game now... other than switching factions yet again (and I've already dominated as a member of each faction) there's not much more for me to prove. I'm hoping future releases of the game add new capabilities.

For now, the folks in Chicago Legion are fun and I enjoy the camaraderie and helping them meet their goals. Like DrStraynge commented, this game can change on a dime... but for now I can sit back, relax, and pick and choose my battles.

QONQR ON! :)

Heh. I love how Faceless can take even the most desperate situation and somehow try to turn it into a favorable one.

"Oh, that 35m bot zone that Legion rules right next to me... I'm so proud of that! I love it!" - RebelFalcon

Good times. So, yes... Legion pretty much controls everything around Chicago, give or take a few little players that hunt and peck like skidmark. And kudos to mark for cleaning out all the shockwaves and ZA we used to topple the huge Faceless towers that used to litter the geography. That's an easy way to get kills... try to keep it up once the offensive bots are gone.

And zone captures... the Chicago area has *hundreds* of zones. Most have only a thousand or so bots in them, so it's easy enough to keep swapping them. But what is it getting you? All of *8* zones leads. OoOoOoOo... look out for the skidmark! :D

I do agree that just building towers isn't a true measure of the game. But neither are kills if you have nothing to show for them. Nor zone captures if you can't hold them. If you were to stop playing today, your impact on the game would be negligible, other than a few witty IGM left in the queue. You've stopped no Legion from growing, nor holding zones, or even distracted us much from ongoing battles. Which are becoming fewer and fewer to reach without missiles. THAT is the real issue I'm having with the game now... other than switching factions yet again (and I've already dominated as a member of each faction) there's not much more for me to prove. I'm hoping future releases of the game add new capabilities.

For now, the folks in Chicago Legion are fun and I enjoy the camaraderie and helping them meet their goals. Like DrStraynge commented, this game can change on a dime... but for now I can sit back, relax, and pick and choose my battles.

QONQR ON! :)

I agree strongly. Using the "I took 300 zones the last two weeks" metric... uhh so what? You are not helping your faction by flipping zones nobody cares about in coordination with an opponent who is only going to flip them back. either you are taking them from someone with no interest in the zone just going for bot kills, or you are taking them from a newbie who puts significant effort into clearing you out. Either way, it affects nobody in any faction. "Nor zone captures if you can't hold them." sums up the most important thing. Right now, massive tower stacks are the most effective way to hold onto zones with any grip to that hold. I too am hoping for the eventual update Silver's mentioned here & there. I'd love to see that update add depth to both gaining a stable toe/foothold in those tower massive tower stacks as well as using those towers to the advantage of your faction. things that affect scope overheat/cool rates for friends & enemies, things that generate & pump deflectors (and other foothold type bots) into another zone as just a couple examples. Maybe even things that shoot down/weaken passing missiles of opposing factions.

I agree strongly. Using the "I took 300 zones the last two weeks" metric... uhh so what? You are not helping your faction by flipping zones nobody cares about in coordination with an opponent who is only going to flip them back.

I guess the key point here is that skidmark isn't interested in helping his faction... most of the Faceless in Illinois are all about helping themselves. So he thinks adding kills and zone captures to his totals somehow makes *him* more impressive... but mostly no one really notices or cares except for him...

Nice paraphrasing, there, Rocco. I can do it, too! "I don't care about my faction, nor any of the players in it! -Rocco...

Illinois Faceless are not self-centered. We're actually very tight. We also support each other. It's expensive for most of us, and our members are typically self-sufficient enough to handle the pathetic legion attacks we get on occasion. There are some who get the quadruple fisted treatment from a player whose name rhymes with taco, but they tell us to save our ammo.

Also, the reason we don't have a problem with Ari is that, unlike 99.976% of the Chicago reds, she's a legion player who doesn't wear her behind on her shoulders. You could really learn a lot from her.

In my experience, it doesn't matter what faction holds an area down, things will change and they can change fast! I've been through multiple wars on my home turf and it all boils down to who is the most persistent. I've watched more than a dozen players quit because they can't keep up.

Everyone take notice, this is the truest statement I've seen on this forum. The player who stays in the game longer will always eventually win in QONQR, because the zones of a retired player are dead meat, ready for the worms.

Sorry for the delay, was busy taking out another 100,000 legion bots. Not sure why they keep defending zones with seekers, but I approve!

"Skidmark", love it! Sounds like a racecar driver or something. Unless you are referring to my irritable bowels, which I assure you was better before I tragically lost my gallbladder.

My only point was that there are many dimensions to qonqr, and you don't need to be part of the local dominant faction to have fun. If you include all Rocco personalities, I'm outnumbered locally about 28:1. No chance of holding a zone in that... but I'm getting pretty good and having a great time at causing them to waste time and credits. Today one of team Rocco dumped 10,000 absorbers to try to block me from attacking sw with seekers. Was a good headshake...

Also, the reason we don't have a problem with Ari is that, unlike 99.976% of the Chicago reds, she's a legion player who doesn't wear her behind on her shoulders. You could really learn a lot from her.

There's also the fact that if you did happen to have a problem with Ari (because honestly, doesn't everyone want an opponent's humongous tower right in the middle of their backyard? gosh darn it! i've been playing this game wrong all along!), well - there's not a darn thing you could do about it! :She beat you, fair and square, and beat you SO badly that she actually has you singing her praises like a little Legion cheerleader! Now THAT'S impressive! I wish I could learn that from her - how to turn my opponents into my cheerleaders... she rocks! :)

Now I shall pause from writing for a moment while I drag my scope down south towards Effingham... to marvel at the glory of your ineffectiveness... wow, that just makes my day whenever I look at it... :P

And props to skidmark for keeping things fun... You could really learn a lot from him... ;)

One thing that has worked successfully in FL is an alliance...We've got a Faceless Swarm Alliance (no secret) and because there is no apparent dominant faction (Green and Purple equal out quite well in most places) we see new players of both factions periodically, as well as some returning players. If you truly feel that an area has gone stale, and your teammates are in agreement, let a new player or players take a few smaller zones and set up a multi faction city to attract new recruits for a week or a month; once you get some locals and some action knock them back out - all it takes is the fleeting taste of victory on occasion to keep them fighting. Some alliances set up free zones where no faction has a claim to the zones and everyone fights for bragging rights in-between oppressing the third faction.

Of course there's always bot decay, but I'll leave that controversial topic to another thread.

One thing that has worked successfully in FL is an alliance...We've got a Faceless Swarm Alliance (no secret) and because there is no apparent dominant faction (Green and Purple equal out quite well in most places) we see new players of both factions periodically, as well as some returning players. If you truly feel that an area has gone stale, and your teammates are in agreement, let a new player or players take a few smaller zones and set up a multi faction city to attract new recruits for a week or a month; once you get some locals and some action knock them back out - all it takes is the fleeting taste of victory on occasion to keep them fighting. Some alliances set up free zones where no faction has a claim to the zones and everyone fights for bragging rights in-between oppressing the third faction.

Of course there's always bot decay, but I'll leave that controversial topic to another thread.

Zopy, does every post you make reference your love affair with Mardi Gras? How much do they pay you for the advertising?