The Official QONQR Community Forums
Gadgerson

New Blog Post: Big Changes: Please Read

The most frustrating part of the past couple days of dealing with this cheater who caused us to discover the Apple issue, is a barrage of email from this player that he "must cheat to keep things fair". That then followed with threats to show everyone else how to cheat after we banned his account. Then more emails about how he is going to make up for his cheating by cheating more and farming cubes for his enemy to once again, make things fair.

Unfortunately, Apple made it impossible for us to programatically stop this due to their identity protection.

I don't mind the move - the key reason to recruit should not be the 5 cubes but the fact that you have an additional player to assist with your defence of your homeland and attack to expand your base hold. As a recruiter you get a rank bonus when they get to 100 which should be sufficient.

"must cheat to keep things fair" is idiotic. When I started playing QONQR I was outnumbered, had no clue what I was doing, and had no money to spend on cubes, but with perseverance you get better, network with others, build your scope, and start taking zones. That's it, no cheating required. Some have it tougher than others but that's war.

Question for the devs, are we still going to get a message when a recruit hits level 10? Since there is no cube bonus anymore can we get a message anytime someone joins and puts us down as a recruit? When I recruit someone I want to be able to reach out and encourage them to stick with it, previously that was done only when we got the message about the cube reward.

Leave it to apple to ruin everything, and the cheaters.

Apple would argue, just like Scott is saying, that people who abused the system are what caused them to do this. Without going into details, these changes were made in iOS 7 related to privacy concerns, stemming from several incidents where people abused the system and violated the privacy of iPhone owners. I don't know the details about it, though. But I think these changes were also made in anticipation of laws being passed in some countries that would require every mobile OS to protect your identity in certain ways.

In most regards I view these sorts of privacy protections as a good thing. But in the case of QONQR, these protections have made it impossible to verify if someone is using the same device over and over to get the recruiting bonus.

I have some ideas about how Apple could update its iOS 7 to possibly solve this issue for developers, so I will report this issue to their engineering team. I will CC you on that e-mail, Silver. Thanks.

McPwn

Why not give the bonus if they make 100? I highly doubt its worth the time to reach 100, for 5 cubes. Do that x5, 25 cubes, or $10 dollars. It'd be faster to panhandle at an isolated desert and spend the earnings on cubes.

McPwn, Apple should have (and could have) created a device Id that was unique to the application + device, so the Id did not change after every install.

Jaeron, We may at some point reinstate the cube bonus for players that reach level 100, and award cubes retroactively, however recruiting bonuses have encouraged bad behavior for a long time. Apple needs to fix their Id issues before we could do this well.

dbanick, You can see all your recruits here http://portal.qonqr.com/Player/Recruits We slipped this in a month ago and have quietly been observing its use. This feature replaces the message and is better because you can try to encourage the level 1 players to get to level 10, and beyond.