The Official QONQR Community Forums
Trustar

Untitled

As he slunk through the front door, shutting out the world over his shoulder, he could feel himself unwind. His shoulders slumped and as he let out a deep sigh all the thoughts, stress and most of all boredom evaporated upwards, from somewhere between his shoulders blades, dissipating into the dimly lit hallway between the door and his inner sanctum.

He trudged semi wearily to the kitchen and stopped in front of the fridge – another part of his daily routine. He grabbed a plastic bowl out of the fridge, tearing the cling film from the top, fork still sat attentively in the bowl and he followed his usual path to his bedroom. He shrugged off his clothes as he had shrugged off his troubles at the front door, chucked on something more comfortable and made his way to the cerebral cortex of his flat.

Once sat at his desk he finally felt at home, relaxed. He fired up a couple of the computers in front of him and sighed once more, picking at the remnants of food in front of him.

It wasn’t much, he would eat later. He wasn’t really that interested in food, certainly not at the moment, he would get a take away later. Much later. He had developed a nice little program for just this sort of occasion, one he was very proud of, perhaps more so than any other as it had been his first.

His first born computer program.

Kept stashed away on a usb drive, he felt guilty about keeping it hidden but he didn’t want to be caught for anything, least of all defrauding take aways. He just had to plug in his flash drive, key in a few codes, choose his poison and fire it away. A Bing! Would go off somewhere, an email would go somewhere else and before you knew it Chinese, pizza, Indian or whatever he fancied that night would be being ferried to his door, the delivery guy none the wiser to the fact that nobody had paid for it, just an exchange of ones and zeros between digital salesmen.

So what would he do with himself tonight? Ninety-nine times out of ten he would immediately launch into a tirade of attacks on one of two targets – a binary choice he always struggled to pick between, he hated decision making, but today he felt differently.

He wondered absent mindedly if perhaps he should go after the main root of all these troubles, the infamous AI. Infamy that most people on the planet where completely oblivious to.

An unseen, incomprehensible computer program had somehow developed sentience, an AI that became self-aware and perhaps more worryingly self-sufficient. They had tried to shut it down but it had supported its own existence somehow. Right now it was supposedly being safe housed by cyber hippies who thought it would spread goodness and light. Really they were just as self-centred as the rest of us – they wanted it to help them develop profit boosting tech.

Safe housed. If I was the most potent and powerful mind in the world I wonder how long I would stay ‘safe housed’ before I wanted to stretch my legs, or more importantly my immensely powerful mind outside the four walls, he wondered.

Outside those four walls a war raged but it was a war completely unseen to most. Ever since the rogue AI had ‘gone public’ – public in a very loose sense of the word – two schools of thought had been opposing one another like waves crashing against the shore.

Legion – the name of a group at the beck and call of Gabriel Sunday, former NSA agent and intent on destroying this AI before it has a chance to reveal its goal to destroy humankind, or at least that’s what legion assume its goal is. These guys… I can understand where they are coming from, but it seems fool hardy to destroy something before even trying to understand it. What happens if it comes back? The chances are if an AI has become sentient then it may happen again, we need to know how to combat this sort of thing. And that’s a worst case scenario, we don’t even know that this AI is hostile… yet.

And that is precisely where Nagumo Enterprises comes in. Headed by one Doctor Kimyo Nagumo. They seem sure that this AI is benign, so sure of it that they are willing to gamble the entire future of humanity on it. They are protecting it, nurturing it even, feeding it everything it needs. Real caring aren’t they?

Just so happens they are the foremost producer of nanobot technology and nanoweaponry on the planet. They figure to make out of this like the dam busters.. if we don’t all get annihilated in the process.

The way I see it though? Well if it was so great and beneficial.. why would everyone be calling it QONQR?! Doesn’t seem that neutral a name if you ask me. Probably something Sunday came up with.

He reached for his coin, he was getting side-tracked. Like most of the things in his flat, this was something he designed and made himself. Unlike most things here it wasn’t electronic. It wasn’t software, it wasn’t hardware… it was just a coin. He couldn’t even remember what kind of coin, it could have been a two pence judging by the size. One side was painted green and the other side painted red. He had even painstakingly painted it purple round the edge, lord knows what he would do if it ever landed on its edge, hack himself?

As the coin flipped it’s way through the air he pondered that point, hack himself? This may be an interesting project, to test his defences, see if he could break into his own systems? The coin started its trajectory downward until it was swallowed up in his fist and slapped down onto the back of his other hand.

Green. Nagumo. Maybe tonight would be his lucky night?

Before he had time for any of that a little purple icon of a Buddha with no face appeared on the desktop of a computer to his right. He swivelled over, mildly surprised by the interruption.

It was a communication from Simi.

Hey dude.

What’s up?

Nothing much.

Bull. Speak.

Ok, well it’s like this, Trelwan said he thought he saw Quentin out and about.

Out and about?

Yeah, just about town, Nowhere too exciting. He couldn’t be sure, didn’t get a great look but he seemed pretty spooked.

You know… Just today I was wondering about Quentin. If I was in his shoes I think I would like to get out, see the world, get some fresh air..

Who are you and what have you done with Trustar?!

Very funny.

No I’m serious, I know you’re not the type to leave the house. E.V.E.R.

Tru pushed back from his computer and sighed. Partially over this semi revelation but mainly because Simi could be a real pain sometimes. Truth was Simi didn’t know squat about Tru. It was just a lucky guess.

Don’t sigh at me like that.

I didn’t sigh.

Tru hated being predictable.

So anyway, Any chance of finding something out about this? We could do with a prompt response.

I’ll see what I can do.

Any keyword starting with a Q meant QONQR. Trelwan had seen some sign of QONQR out and out.. well, no doubt it would be buried very, very deep in some vault hidden system Trelwan had cracked but still, if he could get in, it could get out. This is just what he had worried about, seemingly not worried enough.

Prompt in this case did not mean a speedy response, it meant a communication with Prometheus. The spiritual leader of the hacker group known as Faceless, a man who could do such beautiful things with machinery that the love child of Salvador Dali and Enzo Ferrari could not hope to match.

Faceless was the third party in this two horse race to save the world.

Well, that was Trustar’s plans for this evening screwed. Dr Nagumo would have to wait once again.

It wasn’t that Prometheus was difficult to get hold of. Tru had no idea where he was but he was 95.957% sure that he, like Tru himself, would be sat in front of a piece of telecommunications equipment so potent even the nerds at NASA couldn’t hope to understand it this side of the year 3030. It was just that he tended to focus pretty intently on what he was doing. Or at least that is what Tru assumed, maybe he was just rude.

They were good friends, or as good a friend as you can be with someone when you intentionally know literally nothing about one another. Tru could get in touch with him at the drop of a hat, a very small hat hitting a certain key on his keyboard, the underside of his keyboard to be precise. Nobody would even know what to look for, it just looked like a recessed screw cavity, click it however and it would immediately send a comm link to Prometheus. There was no way of doing it via his computer in any other way, this was to prevent any kind of tracing from one another’s computer by anyone other than themselves.

He pressed the button and settled down to wait. Prom may well be involved up to his eyeballs, or whatever he had under that mask, in immensely top secret government codes. Whilst he waited he got back to Simi.

What you got for me then?

Sending it over now.

Cheers, ill get back to you.

As the files appeared in front of him a strange feeling manifested itself in his throat. It eventually sank down through his digestive tract where it settled in his stomach and refused to go away. This was serious stuff. He had assumed it would be nothing, echoes and whispers but this was serious noise.

Tru figured since his plan of attack had been compromised he might as well get food out of the way. He fished out the USB stick with his no-free-lunch hack on it. Maybe a bit of food would settle that feeling in the pit of his stomach. Or at least bury it for a little while. He settled on Chinese and got back to business.

Perhaps something that’s been hacked sideways? Several different operatives working the same target, throwing up all kinds of strange subroutines. This was very advanced stuff though and usually faceless operatives were too well organised to end up hitting the same place simultaneously. In fact this was stupidly advanced. There were some hackers out there better than Trustar, he was not too arrogant to admit that, not least of all Prometheus, but surely nothing like this? Tru wouldn’t know where to start making this stuff, he wasn’t even sure he understood it’s purpose. He couldn’t even be sure it was a hack. This could be a nursery rhyme or a shopping list for all he knew, but in a language even he could not begin to fathom.

Jadem would want to know about this stuff, if he hadn’t been all over it already.

He must have been staring for a while because he was interrupted by the doorbell going. Interrupted but not surprised. He knew a takeaway was coming, but more importantly than that he had been alerted to someone approaching the door by his proximity alarm. Anyone within 20 metres of the doorway to his building tripped a motion sensor which gave him a little pre warning alert. He kicked his seat back from the desk.

His train of thought had been heading straight towards a brick wall of non comprehension, luckily it was de railed before he had to admit defeat… Saved by the bell. He went to the door.

Hi Steve, how are you dude?

Yeah good man, I got your dinner here for ya buddy.

Cheers, what would I do without you?

Hey no problems pal, all in a day’s work.

Man, I feel bad, I always pay by card and I don’t got cash on me so I can’t give you a tip, here mate,, have a beer.

He reached to beside the door where a pile of crates of lager sat one on top of the other, out of sight of the door but within reach.

Hey thanks man, I appreciate that, you don’t have to, you know that?

Yeah I know, but you’re a good guy so I’m happy to.

Sure, sure, good man. See you soon!

He liked his little interactions with everyday life, he appreciated the kindness he could show others. He hadn’t paid for the food so it was good he could do a kind gesture for the guy who brought it. He was a regular Robin Hood, even the beers he hadn’t paid for! A large supermarket company misdelivered them after a bit of massage in that direction from another one of his hand made little network hacks.

That’s what it was all about to Tru. He figured he was doing important work, and it was only right that the green eyed monsters trying to bring down humanity should pay those people willing to fight the good fight to make it bearable. And if he couldn’t share the spoils with his fellow man then why bother. If humans couldn’t care for one another then what was the point of them existing?

He went to sit back at his desk. His intellectual gym. He was lost in a world of food induced relaxation and beer induced Robin Hood fantasies when his brain moved up a gear.

He was sat at the computer again, chopsticks in one hand, beer in another and several screens full of code in front of him.

He had plenty to chew over.

Nice job I will see about finishing my character info sheet for smoother implementation of him as himself the crazy scientist he is

Nice job I will see about finishing my character info sheet for smoother implementation of him as himself the crazy scientist he is

cool cool, obviously i will be starting with mainly just me to get my character developed but will need to bring in other character in more than just name dropping sense. would be happy to work others in and the more your guy is sorted the easier it will be to introduce you in without offending you in any way.

ill keep reading your fic too and hopefully you'll be happy if and when i bring you into mine, if you're not just let me know and i can amend stuff.

I seem to be churning it out a bit, so i think what i will do is post a new thread and just keep adding 'episodes' to it, to prevent clogging up this section with endless different threads.

If a mod wants to delete this thread that's fine.

Very impressive man. I enjoyed the style, and I really like the.. I don't know how to say it. Laid-backness of the read. I felt as if I could of turned on some jazz and been in his loft watching him do his thing. Good imagery for how little you focused on detail, and got the character development in its place. I really enjoyed it, and can take some notes on your format. ;) Looking forward to more.

Very impressive man. I enjoyed the style, and I really like the.. I don't know how to say it. Laid-backness of the read. I felt as if I could of turned on some jazz and been in his loft watching him do his thing. Good imagery for how little you focused on detail, and got the character development in its place. I really enjoyed it, and can take some notes on your format. ;) Looking forward to more.

cheers buddy. loving the way you describe it, i was worried it would just be really boring without too much happening but i think thats important to introduce all the characters, ideas etc etc.

Its better to know the character sometimes. Lots of people start with action, sand it becomes hard to develop the character later on. But you did start some action in the next sections, to keep people interested. It breaks it up a bit.

Its better to know the character sometimes. Lots of people start with action, sand it becomes hard to develop the character later on. But you did start some action in the next sections, to keep people interested. It breaks it up a bit.

considered this, but where do you plug in your laptop on the beach?

cheers buddy. loving the way you describe it, i was worried it would just be really boring without too much happening but i think thats important to introduce all the characters, ideas etc etc.

Laughs to you both, but np mate! You got skill, just as a lot of the good reads in the Fan Fic. Section. Oh and I fixed up Chapter 3 on Revolution (somewhat), but when I saved the edit a bunch of format code came in the middle of it all. I think I removed it all, but if you notice any </span> type stuff, that would be why.