The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Windows Phone 1.17 Update released

I'm going to go one step further; buy a bunch of cubes (assuming the exchange rate ever improves... 1k? Really?) and keep the ads. Silver and the team have bills to pay, and I'm sure the web host doesn't accept adoration and appreciation as currency. It's just like indie music or public radio... if you use it and enjoy it,help support it.

I completed an update to the WP today and will test with a small group of users who are suffering with being unable to disable ads, even though they should. It seems some phones are not saving game session when you turn off the phone or switch apps. This next update will also not display any ads for users below level 50, to keep the game experience more enjoyable during the learning curve. If testing goes well tomorrow, I will submit for general availability, which hopefully will only take 4-6 days for approval.

I completed an update to the WP today and will test with a small group of users who are suffering with being unable to disable ads, even though they should. It seems some phones are not saving game session when you turn off the phone or switch apps. This next update will also not display any ads for users below level 50, to keep the game experience more enjoyable during the learning curve. If testing goes well tomorrow, I will submit for general availability, which hopefully will only take 4-6 days for approval.

very good move this IMO

Just wanted to say that I updated my old WP device and even though I've purchased my share, I'm leaving ads on. I can't always buy cubes, but if I can support QONQR with some ads here and there while deploying at home, I will.

@Scott, do you earn from click-throughs or views or completions?

The new build of the WP was a success for all testers who previously reported ads would not stay off. Unfortunately, one tester is reporting that the latest build will not start on his Nokia 800. I'm not sure what to do next. We didn't change the startup process. This might take some time to figure out. I'll keep you updated with the status of the next release.

Arc, On the WP, I'm under the understanding that it is pay per view. I don't know that clicking increases our revenue. All other ad vendors are pay per click.

really? so leaving the ads on and updating provides you more income?

****. i assumed it would be flat rate for allowing ads and then click thrus added on.. but if its pay per view then by not upgrading i'm denying you money. qonumdrum

The new build of the WP was a success for all testers who previously reported ads would not stay off. Unfortunately, one tester is reporting that the latest build will not start on his Nokia 800. I'm not sure what to do next. We didn't change the startup process. This might take some time to figure out. I'll keep you updated with the status of the next release.

This sounds a lot like that bug I had and was talking to Support about a few weeks ago (before the 1.17 update). I'm pretty sure it was something to do with the settings getting corrupt but a reinstall fixed it.

If it really is a pay per view on the WP platform then I to will leave the ads on (even though I've spent more than enough to turn them off). Its really not that inconveniencing if it gets you mote money.

Once again the gremlins are in the system. Something happened with the latest pre-update test builds. The Depot Bank page was empty.

For the devs in the crowd, we are using Dotfuscator to obfuscate our code. It seems clear that something breaks every time we obfuscate (apply code protection). Something different breaks every time.

I'm continuing to work on this. I'm very sorry to those awaiting an update to turn off ads. We have had a variety of issues with Dotfuscator in the past. I wish it was as easy as fixing our own code.

All of ads I've seen haven't been ads at all, but instead were related to in-game features. Have you actually SEEN a real ad yet?

I've seen actual ads (although they are quite rare). Especially there have been some ads for Windows RT laptops and Nokia Tablets. And Rajala Pro Shop (which is a Finnish online store).

Most of the in game ads are really good as they do give out some features that I might have not even found otherwise (like being able to access portal mobile).

There is one ad that really astonishes me. It says something similar as "Earn free cubes" and when you click on it, it takes to the Portal where you can buy cubes. I don't get how this can make you "earn free cubes". I think it's false advertisement.

the "earn free cubes" may be in reference to the save the nanobots campaign where you earn free cubes when you purchase an $18.99 or more bundle. those extra cubes are only given when you buy through the web portal.

i can see how this would be misleading... actually i can't, no ads on ios yet. =p

the "earn free cubes" may be in reference to the save the nanobots campaign where you earn free cubes when you purchase an $18.99 or more bundle. those extra cubes are only given when you buy through the web portal.

i can see how this would be misleading... actually i can't, no ads on ios yet. =p

You cannot earn free cubes by purchasing them for $18.99. If you have to pay something in order to get it, it's not free. There are also very strict laws on what you can describe as being free and this certainly is not. The laws are in place especially to make scams like these illegal. I think it'd be a very good choise for QONQR to change the wording of those ads. Especially for any games that are distributed via servers located in EU.

You cannot earn free cubes by purchasing them for $18.99. If you have to pay something in order to get it, it's not free. There are also very strict laws on what you can describe as being free and this certainly is not. The laws are in place especially to make scams like these illegal. I think it'd be a very good choise for QONQR to change the wording of those ads. Especially for any games that are distributed via servers located in EU.

first off I said "may be" as I have not seen them, merely offering a suggestion as to the reasoning behind what you read. i'm not defending or justifying it.

secondly, calling their marketing a "scam" seems a bit much. the game only has a few devs and they work their tails off to provide us an awesome game at no cost if you choose. it's your choice to pay to play, and they are giving bonus cubes for purchasing through the web portal because apple / microsoft take over 30% cut for themselves and paypal takes a much smaller portion so more money goes to the devs to run the servers and hire support staff, etc.

so yea, when you lash out and say the devs are running an "illegal scam", you go from offering a suggestion to throwing around accusations of malintent.

maybe they will change the wording, maybe not, but when you are addressing the general community on the forum you could at least be cordial instead if malicious.

happy holidays.

first off I said "may be" as I have not seen them, merely offering a suggestion as to the reasoning behind what you read. i'm not defending or justifying it.

secondly, calling their marketing a "scam" seems a bit much. the game only has a few devs and they work their tails off to provide us an awesome game at no cost if you choose. it's your choice to pay to play, and they are giving bonus cubes for purchasing through the web portal because apple / microsoft take over 30% cut for themselves and paypal takes a much smaller portion so more money goes to the devs to run the servers and hire support staff, etc.

so yea, when you lash out and say the devs are running an "illegal scam", you go from offering a suggestion to throwing around accusations of malintent.

maybe they will change the wording, maybe not, but when you are addressing the general community on the forum you could at least be cordial instead if malicious.

happy holidays.

I though that you'd seen the same ad as it actually also says: "Save the Nanobots".

Anyway..

I am not accusing the devs for a scam, but saying that you'd get something for free when you have to pay in order to get that is illegal in most EU (for what I know it's 100% illegal in Finland). I'm sure the laws are very different in US so perhaps the devs have made a mistake unknowingly. Also what I don't know is if the devs have made these ads or if someone else have.

Also I don't know if QONQR even has any servers in EU. If that isn't the case then I think the law of EU doesn't really apply to the game.

I don't wish any harm to the devs and I do love QONQR as a game. I just wanted to point out this ad in order it wouldn't grow to become a problem to the devs later.

There is one ad that really astonishes me. It says something similar as "Earn free cubes" and when you click on it, it takes to the Portal where you can buy cubes. I don't get how this can make you "earn free cubes". I think it's false advertisement.

I think your click got misdirected somehow. Maybe it was changing as you clicked it. You should have ended up here http://blog.qonqr.com/post/66713735748/qsmack-rewards . See free cubes. Nothing malicious or deceptive.

I've seen actual ads (although they are quite rare). Especially there have been some ads for Windows RT laptops and Nokia Tablets. And Rajala Shop (which is a Finnish online store).

Most of the in game ads are really good as they do give out some features that I might have not even found otherwise (like being able to access portal mobile).

I think your click got misdirected somehow. Maybe it was changing as you clicked it. You should have ended up here http://blog.qonqr.co.../qsmack-rewards . See free cubes. Nothing malicious or deceptive.

Thank you.

Now it makes so much more sense..

Thanks for the heads up on the Free Cubes ad. Yes the link was supposed to go to the blog to encourage users to Tweet #Qsmack. Not sure how the link sent you to the portal by mistake. I'll put a todo item on our list to change the working in the add to include Tweet #QSmack.

Sigh... In my ongoing battle to get the next Windows Phone release out, we have hit yet another snag that isn't our fault. We are using a single binary to release QONQR to both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. That requires us to do a bit of fancy footwork to get the Windows Marketplace cube purchasing to work, since IAP isn't available in WP7. What we do is fairly uncommon as most companies doing IAP, simply don't distribute their app to WP7 users. We didn't want to turn off WP7 access so we implemented an advanced method of showing Marketplace purchases.

I confirmed with one of my contacts at Microsoft this morning, there is a bug in the submission process that popped up 4 days ago, that stops our advanced way of showing purchases. The Microsoft engineering team is working on it. This will further delay the submission to general release, but luckily we have a contact at Microsoft and will likely be the first app to test it once it is ready.