The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silver

Location Spoofers

Fair warning. New code was released today to actively check for location spoofing on every launch.

There is a chance honest players may get nailed by this check intended to stop Android users who can easily change their location on a rooted device. Legitimate players might get flagged for this due to a bad GPS signal or cell tower triangulation. This summer, AT&T's LTE rollout resulted in many players suddenly finding themselves on the east coast because the towers were incorrectly reporting their location.

Double check your map location before you launch, if the phone thinks you are somewhere you are not, don't launch. Wait until the phone finds your actual location. In Windows Phone you can turn on your actual GPS Antenna (rather than getting your position from the cell towers) if needed, but it will drain your battery faster.

I'm sorry if anyone gets flagged by mistake. Send your complaints to Google.

We will monitor the new system and watch for issues. Hopefully this attempt to stop cheaters doesn't create too many problems for the honest players.

Your location must jump more than a 10 miles, and your speed unreasonable. We've tried to make it so that accidental GPS bounces off nearby buildings doesn't hurt you. No system is perfect. Hopefully you won't get hit.

The penalty for location spoofing is currently set to keep you in maximum overheat for 12 hours.

** Update: In the past 12 hours, only two people were flagged, both were big jumps, probably caused by bad GPS. 2 out of several thousand isn't too bad.

This seems problematic. I know at work when I am in dense buildings my location is assigned in different spots 1-3 miles apart from deploy to deploy. I hope the code is intelligent and accounts for this.

Your location must jump more than a 10 miles, and you speed has to be unreasonable. We've tried to make it so that accidental GPS bounces off nearby buildings doesn't hurt you. No system is perfect. Hopefully you won't get hit.

The penalty for location spoofing is currently set to keep you in maximum overheat for 12 hours.

What about deploying from planes... I'm able to deploy while flying when attached to the plane wi-fi and my location appears to be legit usually, but my speed will show up as 400+ mph.. Would this get me flagged?

I just thought of something else, it should take into account where the person is deploying. Say someone has been attacking or stacking the same zone for long periods and their GPS keeps jumping around, shouldn't it be taken into account that they are not knowingly taking advantage of GPS spoofs?

Maybe this explains why my windows phone no longer will show my current zone. I had to turn on the GPS....which is not a huge deal....only matters for base placement. The map screen showed my location with the arrow, but the current loc screen said GPS is off. In case you didn't hear about that yet.

yea i've seen my friend's ipad all of a sudden jump 5500 miles away from the zone she was launching in because she lost and regained wifi signal without restarting qonqr.

that a glitch? because not everyone that plays has cellular reception.

best bet is to just force close the game and re-open. usually if i've gone a far distance and click the center map button it'll will restart itself after closing.

If you have been flagged incorrectly, email support. I have accounted for plane travel, but this is an edge condition and could be a problem while in the air or for a short time after arrival. This check is only on the server, and doesn't impact your device's oddities of getting your GPS. It would not explain why your device suddenly loses its location. That is a device issue.

I can't give too many details, as it would give the cheaters a roadmap of how to cheat. We have received reports of players being in two different cities at once. This should stop that activity.

Hi Silver,

i suggest the absorber have strengthen advantage have to change to 30k strengthen instead of 20k streangthen now.

this is under "location spoofers" why?

yea... and in announcements section no less.