The Official QONQR Community Forums
helipilot

exchange rate "oddities" and it's bias?

Firstly, I am faceless and I have never posted on here for good reason. I loath the online drama that comes with it. I am sure it will follow this post. I care not. I have been playing for awhile now, and consider myself a very active player... I have made some great friends and had fun. I observe and if I see something I will say it, as I feel, in the best way I know how without going out of my way to cause strife.

I have been tracking the exchange rate for some time(among many other trends in the NOVA area). Not so much in the fact of how many times X came up vs Y... but frequency and dates, but then recently I noticed a new factor. Faction, then another one on that! The increase in need of said exchange rate, by that faction. Legion.(yeah yeah I know you think I'm mad, I'm not, keep reading) I know a lot of the DEV's are legion, and maybe that's part of it, maybe not...

When I noticed it: We have all heard of the Pittsburgh op. I was extremely active in counter ops in that assault, and I am extremely proud of everyone in both factions, but mainly faceless! We fought against many odds. One of them was the exchange rate. The day the op started(or the day before I can't remember) it was 7k. Ok, cool, understandable! It happens right? well the assault started and a day or 2 days go by, then a 6K day, then 1 day later another 6k, just in time to finish off the tower.

I have been playing since august, and I have yet to see any numbers that high, in such a small time... funny how it was during the biggest take down of a zone yet (that's what I've heard). I have seen the 6K day followed by the crazy 9K day right around Christmas(not sure if any legion ops were going on then; let me know if they were). But other than those 2 "oddities" it seems that 6K days happen usually every 3 weeks, (rolling) and 7k 6-8 weeks (rolling).[rough estimates]

**I will stop here and say this, for those who would like to comment with malice, or menial thoughts... I don't care, I am here to point out the flaw, and move on... with or without Qonqr, I don't care what you think unless it is constructive, and furthers the topic... I, myself will probably be on to check this in a few weeks to see the progress and discussion that has accrued.**

What does this mean? well If the exchange rate does have a bias in the code, or by a person, that would be cheating. It would undermine the 'no cheating standards' the dev's themselves are so used to saying everywhere. Stacking the decks is no way to run a game(I'm still trying to decide if it's even right the Dev's play the game out of fairness, and if so, each faction should be represented fairly). If the rate goes by faction, then if legion throws an op, it will go up. If it goes by the need to cash in on money by monitoring the usage of the game at time X to get as much money out of it's players as possible, then it would go up when any faction throws an op. (that last one is false BTW). I see multiscopers everywhere, I see cubing all the time, but I have not seen this before. It has put a bad taste in my mouth. I think of it every time I go to attack, defend, etc...

I have thought over even posting this, and today I decided I might as well. In the end it is a game, and really not worth the thoughts that have saturated my mind since it happened. All I hope is to bring it to light so we all can watch it now, and compare notes. I am not a techie, I have no great skills in writing code, as you can see from my profile name... you know what I specialize in, so from here, I step back and let you guys take it away...

Have a wonderful 2014.

the forumla for the fluctuating exchange rate has been kept under raps since its' implementation this summer.

but the dev's do have control over it in some regard as we saw when "prometheus hacked the exchange rate" for the christmas/new years special rate.

i hope there was no special treatment given to the rate during the op you referenced, an optimist would say the mass purchasing of cubes and ordinance caused the inflation of the exchange rate for those few days back to back to back...

like you said tho, we were lucky to get the 7k rate about 5 times last year...

conspiracy theory or coincidence?

The only 'bias' would be that the devs spike the exchange rate just after other factions have cashed in large volumes of cubes or when the favoured players have large volumes of cubes stored up. In either case, no official contact could be made otherwise it would get leaked and there would be riots in the streets.

So even if they were doing everything they could to imbalance the game, it would have minimal effects. I'm sorry, but your conclusions don't really make sense.

i think heli means the fact that the devs have accounts they use for play instead of just testing shows bias.

silver's profile pic says CEO and has a big legion stamp at the top. you can't blame heli for thinking he might throw his own faction a bone once in a while for a big op.

or if they see a giant battle like pittsburg raging on they could keep the exchange rate high to boost sales and make it easier to justify spending since the "return on investment" continued to be unusually high that week.

*shrugs*

My two cent with all due respect Heli.... this is how it worked for the Pittsburgh Op. The Op started Friday and I think the Exchange hit 6K that day or On Saturday. On the very next day (either Saturday or Sunday) It hit the peak of 7K. This was a god send to the cause. Then on Tuesday or Wednesday it hit 6k again, ONLY the prior day had been 1K! This is not as odd as you may think. Being a cube user I check the Exchange daily.

I started playing in late May and only exchange for 7K. From June until November I only recall a single 7K exchange falling almost regularly only once in each month up until November. In November I believe there was a week or two when the exchange hit 7K twice and 6K and 6500 a couple different times.

Also, the PA Faceless had a day long Op going against a couple of different targets on Xmas eve when the exchange hit 9K. I believe it may have assisted the eventual demise of The Legion control of Philadelphia.

I do see your point in the convenience of the exchange during the Pittsburgh OP but I do believe that the Exchange rate is a random mechanic. Also, it is easy to forget that this game is world wide. Just my opinion but I doubt the Powers That Be pay enough attention to a single Region to give it special treatment.

What happens to a Faceless annoyed?

Does it stack up zones

just for fun?

Or decide to pick a fight--

And then run?

Does it stink like Tiomun's feet?

Or send out 1000 nanos--

looking for a seeker treat?

Maybe it just plays

Rock Band to improve rhythm.

Or does it accuse the devs of playing favorites in hopes that they will pressure them into revealing the exchange rate algorithm?

What happens to a Faceless annoyed?

Does it stack up zones

just for fun?

Or decide to pick a fight--

And then run?

Does it stink like Tiomun's feet?

Or send out 1000 nanos--

looking for a seeker treat?

Maybe it just plays

Rock Band to improve rhythm.

Or does it accuse the devs of playing favorites in hopes that they will pressure them into revealing the exchange rate algorithm?

i enjoyed reading that as much as you enjoyed watching the chargers lose.

so either you are correct that the algorithm is the ONLY power that effects the exchange rate and prometheus exists and really did hack the exchange rate around new years and bragged about his A.I. powers on twitter OR the devs do maintain some control over the rate and can bypass the algorithm?

i like how you just came here to faceless bash instead of adding to the discussion.

I have seen weeks where it would regularly land on a high exchange. I'm pretty sure the dev have little to no control over exchange rates as well. I'm not sure what the rant is about there is always good attacking ops/defending ops around high exchange rates.

I don't think anyone would like to go back to the days of a set exchange rate, Only 1000 qredits

This is not the case. Silver and I may both be Legion, but we have never fixed an exchange rate to help out any faction. We do not even know what the exchange rate is going to be on any given day. We can manually put in a rate if we want, but the only time we have done that so far was at Christmas when we made it 9000. We have a program that runs and it contains a degree of randomness. The exchange rate is one of the most complained about things in support, and we have seriously contemplated getting rid of it. When it was a flat 1000 no one complained, but let it be 3000 for a couple days in a row and watch out. lol :)

I love the exchange rate. The randomness makes looking at it at 7PM EST like opening a present or a dud. A high exchange always brings the excitement up while an extended low rate gives time to recover and plan for when it hit high again.

Also, Silver and I barely play the game other than for testing purposes for just this reason.

This kinda sucks... but if I was developing a game I really wouldn't play it as well. Games are an escape from your job... if the game is your job. ouch

dealers aren't suppose to use their own product, especially if it is addictive...

and qonqr is quite addictive!

i'm still glad to see profits on the rise since the implementstion of the variable exchange, hope that trend continues throughout 2014 so we can get some sweet updates.

Who let the amature poet in here (yes, you, Btr)? Did you have anything useful to add to this discussion? This isn't Facebook. If not, better get back to those zone I just capped in your area, neighbor....Its looks extremely purple out there :P

If a participating member of a game that is within a public forum of said game wishes to create a topic of discussion, it is absolutely appropriate. Concerns, suggestions, and issues are what the devs encourage. Gaining a clear perspecitve on any topic is also rewarding and engaging for the players and allows them to feel an open channel of communication to devs and other players.

The post stated that there were (possible) oddities within the rate of exchange, and the suggestion that all factions be represented fairly by devs. With the constant invasion of multiscopers and rooted phones, I believe the last thing many (legit) players want to deal is one more thing to impede their Qonqring.

This may be a case of sheer luck for some, and defeat for others. But the point is that the discussion is here, and has been noted. Many more players could have been wondering the same thing for all we know. There is a response from a dev wihtin this post, and that is good! This post is in no fashion for the gain of an algoritham, as SOMEONE has stated :blink:, but for a discussion. Pure and simple.

Sorry ICEBITCH but you need to hit the forums a bit more often. Who wants a forum that's just cold clinical discussions. Also calculators, cold clinical discussions with calculators.

amateur btw. Lol

L I'm in the forum enough, I just do not typically post, for my own reasons, well, mostly because of the post btr made, just uhg. Would you rather talk to someone who adds nothing to a discussion (betterthannobody) or a "cold clinical discussion"...as you put it. As a public forum, no one is forcing you to read, or engage, in coversation of these posts. What is cold and clinical about discussion of exchange rates? What is cold and clinical about concerns? Maybe we should switch to a topic you are more comfortable with... how about puppies?? Puppies are warm and fuzzy and so not clinical... :mellow:

And yet another Legion not adding to the convo...shocking...

Btr- no one has the time or concern to hate you, don't flatter yourself.

Sorry ICEBITCH but you need to hit the forums a bit more often. Who wants a forum that's just cold clinical discussions. Also calculators, cold clinical discussions with calculators.

amateur btw. Lol

But I love calculators. I should make a thread about calculators.

It would be interesting to see how the variable exchange rate is calculated, but iI don't expect the devs to want to share that and I don't rely on it to play so I haven't done any tracking myself.

<p>Is it me or are Faceless ops a bit prickly nowadays.

They sound proper tough though, so beware. Now for an actual comment on the topic.

The only bias would be if the rates were different for different factions. I can't see the issue here, apart from slight paranoia which I'm sure we all get from time to time.Its also leigh. Special ops just appeared.