The Official QONQR Community Forums
Gadgerson

New Feature Added to Portal

A new feature was added to the portal this week that allows you to see a list of all new players in your area under level 100. We are hoping this will be a great tool for recruiting players to your factions, but also a great mentoring opportunity to guide along newcomers to the game.

Check it out at http://portal.qonqr.com/Player/NearbyNewPlayers

Does it base "near me" off my position from when I last launched?

What is the distance it looks for these new players?

How long does someone stay on this new players list before being removed? Time wise from last launch I assume.

Neat tool! It'll really help to expand the Qonqr player base by letting us get to new players sooner.

Does it base "near me" off my position from when I last launched?

What is the distance it looks for these new players?

How long does someone stay on this new players list before being removed? Time wise from last launch I assume.

Neat tool! It'll really help to expand the Qonqr player base by letting us get to new players sooner.

Good questions..

I'd also like to know what is the base of how it determinates that this person is around my region. Would it work also if I travel to another town or country? It if does the tracking from my last launch that might work. Also if that is the case then it couldn't register a player near me that is traveling himself, is that right?

I believe its all players within a 30-40? mile radius that have launched in the last... Week I believe.

Good questions..

I'd also like to know what is the base of how it determinates that this person is around my region. Would it work also if I travel to another town or country? It if does the tracking from my last launch that might work. Also if that is the case then it couldn't register a player near me that is traveling himself, is that right?

That would make sense to me.

It's all players that haven't completed training(level 1-99) and the range is approximately your regular deployment range.. They also have to have deployed recently in that area so if a traveling noob drops bots in your area, it'll show up. Heh.. Traveling noob.

How exactly are you defining 'new'? Accounts created within a certain interval, or simply sub-100 accounts? Some people level (comparatively) slowly, and could be 'new' for quite some time.

I believe its just sub level 100. One of the accounts I've noticed on mine has been playing for awhile, but is still sub 100 so is still showing up.

Hey y'all! I messaged support and got some new intel on this feature.

It looks for new players within a 5 mile radius radius of approximately your launch range, of the last location you launched from. It classifies new players as any under level 100. Also it also keeps them listed for a weekish.

I wish it used a 25-30 mile radius since all new players in that range I would be able to support... Just my thoughts.

I also think that 5 miles (~8km) is too short. At least in my region it doesn't really give out any purpose. In more dense areas things are probably different.

I'd say the search should cover at least 40 km. I have no real reason for this. This is the range I can hit with Zone Assault and Deflection so I could then still help this newcomers if I want to.

Just confirmed with Silver that I was wrong on that 5 mile radius thing. It is closer to approximately your launch radius. Sorry for the bad intel.

Is this why I don't see any new players is that at the time I only launch on the zone I usually am (which is usually the same zone)?

This would make my launch radius very close to zero.

Is this why I don't see any new players is that at the time I only launch on the zone I usually am (which is usually the same zone)?

This would make my launch radius very close to zero.

i assume it means your launch range rather so for example if you sit at home and deploy it will give you info on 'new' players within a 30 mile radius [perhaps lower if you deploy deflectors, higher if you deploy zone assault i dont know]

would be good to know a time frame too, does it scan immediately? for example if you went away for the day 100 miles from your hometown and deployed could you straight away check that function and recieve new info?

I am not a fan of this addition - for me part of the game was hunting zones or leaderboards for new players to contact - I think we need to be careful not to hand all the "intel" of players on a platter as it makes it too "easy" and takes the research out of the game.

I am not a fan of this addition - for me part of the game was hunting zones or leaderboards for new players to contact - I think we need to be careful not to hand all the "intel" of players on a platter as it makes it too "easy" and takes the research out of the game.

i hear what youre saying but im ok with this function, because whilst i 'enjoy' researching i know not everyone is so thorough, so you can get teammates to do this.

i do however agree that care needs to be taken with any more things of this type, we certainly dont want things made too easy

Its better for qonqr overall, seeing as it helps their retention numbers. Anything that keeps people from playing for a few levels then quitting is good for the devs and sometimes us!

Its better for qonqr overall, seeing as it helps their retention numbers. Anything that keeps people from playing for a few levels then quitting is good for the devs and sometimes us!

it wont necessarily help retention, that depends how people use it, for some it will be a quicker path to bullying people out of the game which will lower retention...

After having time to get used to it what are people's thoughts?

I use it and whilst i find it useful i'm not sure that is to the benefit of the game as a whole... Standard usage will be to see a new player in your area, see if they want to join your faction. if they do then your area becomes even more of a fortress, meaning any new player to a rival faction stands far less of a chance. if they don't then at least you know about them, it gives you a warning and whilst you don't want to bully them, do you really want to encourage them to grow? give away all your zones? bullying is bad obviously but it only takes the most effortlessly small amount of defensive work to annihilate them so you either just let them grow and possibly rival you or you take them out.. which amounts to bullying?

at least if you didnt know about them they had the advantage of surprise and could maybe slowly take zones, capture a few etc etc before you even knew they were there.

i worry by adding this feature - and i do admit it is useful - but perhaps its just gonna lead to more large areas dominated by one faction or another.

although if range gets increased [as the swarm comic alludes to] perhaps this is not really an issue?

anyway, just my 2 pence.... anyone else got thoughts or concerns?