The Official QONQR Community Forums
Gadgerson

ATTENTION: NEW PORTAL FEATURES!

The day many of you have waited for is here. If you have previously Defected from a Faction, but have shown Loyalty to your current Faction for 120 days or more you will now be able to regain those 20 Rank Points you previously lost.

There is also a new button to make sure you have received all the medals you have Earned, so when something is missing you no longer have to wait for Support to fix it, you can fix it yourself right away (assuming you Earned it).

**After you log into the Portal, go to your Profile and there is a new button under your picture.**

Good luck and GO GET THOSE RANK POINTS BACK!!!!

Gadge

Thank you guys for this added award, it brought back 20 of my points. I do have a question though, I switched factions to become a spy (for real not to just switch factions) and then returned to my original faction after the 60 days. This gave me a 40 point deduction. Is there going to be anyway to recover the other 20 points? I think you could add a lot of additional strategy to the game if players could regain those points. I was also considering mentioning an option when switching that lets you pick the number of days that you want to be a spy before returning to your original faction which would then switch you back at that specific time and return your award points. As it is now, players lose their bots and 20 points for each switch, so becoming a spy for a period of time ends up a negative for the player. I choose to do it but a lot of other players would never consider it because of losing the award points.

Thank you guys for this added award, it brought back 20 of my points. I do have a question though, I switched factions to become a spy (for real not to just switch factions) and then returned to my original faction after the 60 days. This gave me a 40 point deduction. Is there going to be anyway to recover the other 20 points? I think you could add a lot of additional strategy to the game if players could regain those points. I was also considering mentioning an option when switching that lets you pick the number of days that you want to be a spy before returning to your original faction which would then switch you back at that specific time and return your award points. As it is now, players lose their bots and 20 points for each switch, so becoming a spy for a period of time ends up a negative for the player. I choose to do it but a lot of other players would never consider it because of losing the award points.

TBF i think that is the way it should be, otherwise half the players on the game would be rogues, there has to be some reason to stop players flipping about.

im not even convinced getting rank points back should be possible at all. at the end of the day rank is pretty meaningless and if you were spying maybe you deserve a little penalty, after all it is deceptive and carries a risk. now you can turn spy and regain your points and the only people who know will be those who remember you spying - if/when they stop playing you are totally free.

im not saying spying/switching whatever shouldnt be possible, after all it is part of warfare, i just think its good that you can be held accountable...

TBF i think that is the way it should be, otherwise half the players on the game would be rogues, there has to be some reason to stop players flipping about.

im not even convinced getting rank points back should be possible at all. at the end of the day rank is pretty meaningless and if you were spying maybe you deserve a little penalty, after all it is deceptive and carries a risk. now you can turn spy and regain your points and the only people who know will be those who remember you spying - if/when they stop playing you are totally free.

im not saying spying/switching whatever shouldnt be possible, after all it is part of warfare, i just think its good that you can be held accountable...

You don't regain your points though for becoming a spy for a period of time. You lose 20 for switching factions and 20 for switching back. You only regain half of that with this if I am understanding it correctly. Are you not a good faction member if you do this? I see this as a penalty for doing additional for your team/faction. I believe you are already held accountable with the point hit to begin with, the bot loss, and the 60 day restriction on switching back. When I switched to become a spy I took a 6 million bot hit and then another 2 million bot hit when I switched back along with the 40 points for doing it.

Also, I do like the 120 days to regain the points that proves you are staying with that faction. Maybe 120 more days to regain the rest?

ADD ON

After thinking through this as it currently is, the only way to regain the additional 20 point hit for this scenario is to be a spy for 120 days and then make your switch back.

You don't regain your points though for becoming a spy for a period of time. You lose 20 for switching factions and 20 for switching back. You only regain half of that with this if I am understanding it correctly. Are you not a good faction member if you do this? I see this as a penalty for doing additional for your team/faction. I believe you are already held accountable with the point hit to begin with, the bot loss, and the 60 day restriction on switching back. When I switched to become a spy I took a 6 million bot hit and then another 2 million bot hit when I switched back along with the 40 points for doing it.

Also, I do like the 120 days to regain the points that proves you are staying with that faction. Maybe 120 more days to regain the rest?

ADD ON

After thinking through this as it currently is, the only way to regain the additional 20 point hit for this scenario is to be a spy for 120 days and then make your switch back.

i don't really think that the -20 point thing is that big a deal, at the end of the day rank does nothing at all, if you choose to become a spy you are making that concious decision and there must be some penalty for that, bot least i get that, but again you are the one choosing it.

i'm not saying it is not a worthy move by someone for their faction.. although i would rephrase that becuase it is not worty but it is self sacrificing for the good of your team.. it is however a sneaky move and as such should carry a stern punishment IMO

This is a game of war. You believe spying = sneaky = punishment. I believe it is effective warfare and if carried out legitimately deserves recognition, not punishment. I would consider it Legitimate Switching since it is with full knowledge of your goal. As it stands now, players just have to be aware that there is a 120 day window after switching to become a Spy and get your points back then switch back and wait 120 days. Just as there is now a way to become a Mercenary and get all of your point as long as you wait the 120 days between switching again.

I understand your viewpoints of taking care of those that felt they had to switch for some reason or another and would like to get their points back for staying with the next faction. I am just pointing out that these negative points awards have valid uses in war and should not always be seen as just a negative to your ID in the long game.

You can try to spin it however you want, but spying is a dishonorable act that has no place in a game (war, as you said, yes; this is not war. It's a game). The faction forums are split up for this exact reason, and by switching factions to gain a competitive advantage you subvert that mechanic.

You asked earlier, "Are you not a good faction member if you do this?" I would say No, you are not; when you leave your faction, all your bots are destroyed; unless you're a new player (in which case you don't incur a penalty anyway) or don't deploy much, you're giving up a significant and guaranteed tactical advantage for a possible and potentially useless informational one.

This is a game of war. You believe spying = sneaky = punishment. I believe it is effective warfare and if carried out legitimately deserves recognition, not punishment. I would consider it Legitimate Switching since it is with full knowledge of your goal. As it stands now, players just have to be aware that there is a 120 day window after switching to become a Spy and get your points back then switch back and wait 120 days. Just as there is now a way to become a Mercenary and get all of your point as long as you wait the 120 days between switching again.

I understand your viewpoints of taking care of those that felt they had to switch for some reason or another and would like to get their points back for staying with the next faction. I am just pointing out that these negative points awards have valid uses in war and should not always be seen as just a negative to your ID in the long game.

i don't disagree with you entirely, but i just don't particularly feel that -20 points is such a huge deal considering rank does absolutely nothing anyway, spying is underhand and should carry some kind of penalty, if you are willing to make the sacrifice to hopefully help your faction then good on you in some ways but now there is nothing it just seems a bit too easy and de values the sacrifice you have to make to do it.

120 days is nothing to anyone who really enjoys qonqr IMO

You can try to spin it however you want, but spying is a dishonorable act that has no place in a game (war, as you said, yes; this is not war. It's a game). The faction forums are split up for this exact reason, and by switching factions to gain a competitive advantage you subvert that mechanic.

You asked earlier, "Are you not a good faction member if you do this?" I would say No, you are not; when you leave your faction, all your bots are destroyed; unless you're a new player (in which case you don't incur a penalty anyway) or don't deploy much, you're giving up a significant and guaranteed tactical advantage for a possible and potentially useless informational one.

i don't totally agree, yes it is dishonourable but i do think it has a place in the game.

and i dont totally agree you can't be a good faction member by spying, but the potential benfits are great and as a result the penalties should be great, even though it is also possible you get nothing from it - this is the risk you must take, just like in real life where you risk your life and more

The idea of the loyalty awards isn't to award defection. The idea is to NOT penalize a player forever for initially playing for the wrong faction. Sometimes people (like me) get level 100 is 10 days and in that time never actually talk to another player from any faction, and they just don't have good information about factions. Some people switch just to get the medals and go back to their original factions. We realize that not everyone will be happy with these changes, but there are always people who will be unhappy no matter what we do. We have more changes coming eventually that we hope will make most people happy. Thank you all for sticking with us through all these changes and for your feedback. We appreciate it.

Gadge

The idea of the loyalty awards isn't to award defection. The idea is to NOT penalize a player forever for initially playing for the wrong faction. Sometimes people (like me) get level 100 is 10 days and in that time never actually talk to another player from any faction, and they just don't have good information about factions. Some people switch just to get the medals and go back to their original factions. We realize that not everyone will be happy with these changes, but there are always people who will be unhappy no matter what we do. We have more changes coming eventually that we hope will make most people happy. Thank you all for sticking with us through all these changes and for your feedback. We appreciate it.

Gadge

I think it's a nice feature.

I for one am a player who didn't know that there was an option to change faction before reaching level 100. I was already level 100 when I signed up to the forums where I found this out. So perhaps it's also a good idea that you don't show this -20 award for people that are below level 100 (or show it with some other colour so they can understand that it's not effective). Perhaps it's already this way.

What I was thinking (and what I didn't explain in the earlier post) is that perhaps there should be a totally different award for people that have been in a single faction for more than a year. My idea is is that this kind of loyality would be awarded with perhaps 2 (and not more than 5) points.

This way it would promote longevity to the game and perhaps make people to think again about being a spy. I have nothing against spies. They will make the game more interesting, but I also think that this kind of game play should have it's disadvantages. And perhaps some advantages too..

Since the ranks don't actually mean anything to the game as you don't get any more power or even recognition and fame as far as I've noticed from them, this change doesn't affect me at all.

Perhaps to be fair for those who deflected in order to get that one award it would be a good idea that there'd be an option to choose what awards you want to able and what not. The spy award would of course be always active (perhaps with some others like competed training and boot camp awards), but the compensation they get from being loyal would be choosable. Is it already like this?

The idea of the loyalty awards isn't to award defection. The idea is to NOT penalize a player forever for initially playing for the wrong faction...

*For Them...

As a player that has been playing since April of 2012, I can tell you that over time you'll interact with a myriad of players of all types and over time you'll naturally find that there are certain groups that you just work with better. I started off as Faceless and it was great but over time I found that my style of play lent itself to playing with the Legion players in my area.

Here's the thing that I can tell you from what I feel is pretty extensive base of game experience:Every Area is Different and Every Area Changes.

On a long enough time line, every area changes, and if the area doesn't, the area can become stagnant and uninteresting in some situations. Long term players will find that over time, shaking up their game play will revitalize their enjoyment of the game. Sometimes, defection is a method of shaking up an area and making the game interesting in your area. Players that seek to keep the game interesting by making a thoughtful change shouldn't be permanently penalized by a rank penalty.

The 120 day waiting period to get the rank points back is an excellent addition to the longevity of the community, and has a nice balance for making players give honest effort in their new faction.

Now, some people see the award that is only available to those who defected, and want one for staying in one faction from the start and never switching. I disagree, for two reasons:

1. I do not think giving an Award that benefits never changing faction is something that should be implemented as it will return players to the dichotomy of imbalance as the player that never changes will always have a rank benefit (no matter how small) over a player that did defect. Thus, adding an award that favors the unchanging player will effectively be penalizing the player that did defect. Now, to address this imbalance: IF there is an award for never changing faction then the Rank Bonus should be 0 points, as it will mean that players that defected and players that didn't will still be on the same level playing field in regard to Rank point accumulation.
  2. There's one more reason why an Award for never changing faction shouldn't be implemented: It would require a change in the database architecture, as currently, every award once attained is permanent in your player awards history. Thus, what would happen if a player that had met whatever the requirements were for a Loyalty award, then decides to defect? What then? the permanent award would have to be removed. It would require a change to the awards mechanic in the game and create another running process on the server that deals with removal of awards instead of just looking to add them. The current system of getting a Spy Award -20 and then 120 days later getting the Renegade Award +20 is an effective wash in the accumulation of rank points but still meets with the game mechanic of the Awards History being permanent.

In the past there has been talk of other profile badges, and if that feature is someday implemented then perhaps that will be an area in which players could place a "Loyalty Badge" or something like that. But again, that would require an expansion to the game and would need to be placed on the back burner.

I also think it's important to note: I've been requesting the -20 defection penalty to be balanced by long term play with the new faction in some way for over a year. I've known that it was something that was on the Developmental "to-do" list for a long time. The moral of the story is: The Qonqr Dev Team does listen to the users and they take the time to review reoccurring ideas and requests. When idea passes the requirements for in-game consideration then the team works and tests exhaustively. Things take time--often a long time--so keep giving feedback and then be patient. :)

I'll add a little to this post by F3NR0AR to further my message from the earlier..

My idea of the loyalty award was that it'd be given for a one year's loyalty. After you've received that award you'd have a chance to defect and get that award also next year in different faction. Also to those who do defect, they'd get that award after one year of playing so I don't see any problem here..

As for how many points that should be, my initial suggestion was 2 points, but I am completely happy if it's 0 points. It's just so nice to receive awards. Everyone knows that =)

Yeah the award for infinite loyalty just destroys the point of being permanently disadvatage (which is what this update is trying to fix).

Also on the topic of spies:

I think the whole reason you get a deduction of points is precisely to discourage spies. In games like EVE Online you get a corp history so people can see if you are a long-time loyalist or a mercenary. They want to know about your past before sharing all their confidential intel with you. I think that is what the point deduction is for. So if you want to be a spy, sure. It should be a valid game mechanic. You can suffer and lay low for a while. However, it shouldn't be easy. This feature requires a spy to jump through a few hurdles and fake a few IDs and passports and work a legit job before you can be considered a bonafide citizen.

I see the rank system as a way to read other players' history and see their achievements. I don't think the rank system is purely for self gratification like single player "cheevos".

What if there was a qredit award with acheiving rank points, since rank points don't do anything? Nothing outrageous.Unless there is a plan for the rank points?

not a bad idea that