The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stringbean525

What happened to Strategy in Qonqr

Is anyone else starting to feel like there is no strategy left in Qonqr? I've been playing for about a year and a half now and I travel a lot for work so I've experienced Qonqr all over for some time. There are two major culprits

1) Command Center

When I first started you had to be strategic about how many zones you managed. Having a zone meant you had to patrol it and check if it was under attack. One of the best parts of the game was sneak attacks when you and your faction mates would go undetected for some time chipping away at a zone. Most players now will never experience that, they just stare at the Command Center all day and the second someone attacks any zone the message goes out and it's over. In my opinion Command Center has taken a lot of the fun out of the game and a big reason I have scaled back my play.

2) Cubers

I know, I know, it's an old bit. Thing is it's getting worse and worse and spreading more and more. I'm not talking about $10 or $25 per month spenders, I'm talking $100 per month or more. Used to be I would land in a new city for a day or 2 and have some fun causing some havoc and then on to the next one. Now I'm seeing more and more cities being dominated by big spenders who are cube rage building huge towers in a hour or dominating everything another faction does with seemingly unlimited refreshes. There is ZERO strategy being used, just non stop refresh, attack, refresh, attack.

I know Silver stated that big spenders want refreshers so they have to keep them. What else have they been given the opportunity to buy? You only sell 1 thing so yea, spenders buy it. You could limit refreshers and offer other purchasable options to supplement the revenue lost. I don't know why the devs don't take this more seriously, from what I have seen it is the #1 reason players are leaving and finding other more competitive options. Instead of rolling out Command Center and other tools that remove thinking and strategy why not spend more time solving one of your biggest issues which is cube ragers?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this game went from being really fun to pretty boring and 1 dimensional. Anyone else feeling the same way?

We should also add current mechanics in the game encourage new players to join whatever faction currently has control in your area. They cannot compete with entrenched locals (which is fine), to get the most out of their bases they have to be controlled by their faction. Plus, lets be honest most people just join the winning team, it's only those that want to be the "underdogs" whichever faction is the least active locally.

example in my area the active faction ratio was 1:2:8 (swarm:legion:faceless) with some really crafty moves and dedication legion was able to slowly scrape away one zone at a time and establish it. Swarm didn't have a prayer. (they actually wound up joining forces with faceless to "buy" zones, but that's besides the point)

now a year later those numbers are... 1:2:14... Swarm saw zero growth in our area, legion picked up a few, but faceless just multiplied. From those I've chatted with for the reasons above...

At this point no level of dedication or cleverness is able to overcome sheer numbers. Tools like command center clinches it because you can't sneak in under the radar. One of the faceless cubes heavily, but that is a separate issue, and often not even necessary when you're out numbered 7 to 1.

Being outnumbered is fine, the problem is the game mechanics encourage the gap to grow until it reaches a point the smaller force barely qualifies as a nuisance. Something has to be done to help encourage balance. Sure any mechanic used to do this could be abused, but what's worse, letting this continue until people quit, or attempting something that might or might not help?

I completely agree with both of you. My playtime has gone from 4-5 hours a day to 10-15 minutes a day, mostly just to harvest and drop maybe one scope. I join in to grab easy kills when a zone is being taken down, but the lack of being able to use any strategy to gain an advantage has turned the game in my area fairly tedious for my faction, and one by one they're all dropping out to play another game.

From a developer $$$ making perspective, I'm sure they saw quite a blip in cube buying in my area while the dynamics were shifting... but as we all stopped throwing our money away in our faction, that means the other factions don't need to spend anymore either.

I still pop in from time to time, and I read boards here to see what's changing in other areas, but the game itself has lost it's sense of purpose for me and I'm honestly not sure what can be done to make it fun again, other than the big spenders get bored and leave, and new blood comes in and wants to battle instead of constructing monumental towers,

Or maybe the game has evolved form being a war/battling type game to being a Farmville type game. Harvest your bases, spend some money, and keep building them up. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, I want it to be fun again. I remember clawing zones away from forces that out numbered me, building it up and fighting tooth and nail to keep it. Sometimes the guy who cubes would "buy a win" but that was okay with me, he clearly dumped a significant amount of money more than me, so for me I feel like he's effectively paying to allow me to play.

but now where the numbers are so one sided cubing is completely unnecessary it's lost purpose. I still play actively mostly to be annoying, but realize unless I plan to buy the qonqr staff a new office worth of cubes I'm just not going to win with forces so one sided.

I think the OP nailed the 2 biggest challenges in the game atm. I would even suggest both of the OP's points are even a bit linked....

With the advent of many Public API tools, especially the more savvy ones that will routinely scrape "only your local zones" for data and provide you "insta alerts" if boosters deployed in your zones, there are no sneak attacks anymore. Establishing a foot hold is now more luck of the draw; Ops are now regularly planned during rush hour, early morning hours, etc...always just rolling the dice and hoping your opponent is stuck in traffic, in a RL meeting for work, in the shower or sleeping because you see no recent API data indicating they are active atm. No strategy if you have to play the game like that.

With the above in mind, this increases pressure to cube. That is the only quick & dirty alternative if you want to beat your opponents and get on top. If you cannot change the zone landscape, then not much else to do except stack (hide behind) towers to work on your leader board status, or plasma beam one of your opponent's towers to death so you move up one notch.

So I would argue if you nerf the API tools, then it would impact cubing also, less RL money being spent.

If nothing else the tools should get a delayed response. Have the gap between what's happening in game and what they display by like an hour. This could get an aggressive and crafty group a chance to throw up a quick beach head and then make it a slug out between the entrenched force and attacking force. As is, the enemy is already responding about the time you get your second tank out. (at least here where there is enough people that someone is always watching and sends alerts out using group me)

Here is too the Minnesota faceless watch one of the areas while the legion attack the zerg strategy as in a hive mind holds the beachhead and zerglings start chewing away at the structure of a tower it is what I watched in the twin cities area/zone clusterfuck

Yeah there are many places the numbers of players per faction are so skewed even mass cubing isn't enough. I've found personally that somewhere around 1:4 active player using command is the break point where you simply can't overcome the numbers. (assuming similar levels of activity per player)

i definitly agree the new api tools have totally removed a couple of important elements of game player, sweeping for new players, sweeping for attacks etc

surprise attacks are no longer possible.

cubes are a problem but we need to come up with alternatives, what else could you make that costs money?

how about a rocket that has 1,000 miles range or 2,000 miles range that costs 1 cube? or 5 for 1 cube maybe otherwise it's probably a bit overpriced.

5 1k ranged missiles for 1 cube or 1 missile with infinite range?

again though you are toying with some elements that make this game immense, range is an integral part

Kill the API's off. (except the web portal)

The Various APIs are absolutely and utterly killing gameplay.

I typed out a big long rant, then thought "**** it! No one gives a monkeys."

Sure as ****, nothing will be done about it.

Wow you guys have very well summarised my thoughts as well. I only started in July but even then you could attack and it was partly numbers but mainly who deployed the most. You opposition may have more players but if you all deployed more you would eventually wear them down. We found that worked for both major factions in our area depending on who was most active during a particular period of time. That made the game fun and interesting - I deploy more I should see results. That has all changed. We have tried a couple of attacks on bases only to get a 3-4m base down to around 400k, then 2 cubers move in a deploy 1m bots in a flash. They haven't been present for any of the battle just come in at the death and spend a few hours. Likewise you can slowly build a tower over many days etc through frequent deployment and a couple can cube for a few hours and take it down in a few hours.We actually had 3 cubers go for 5 hours straight on one of our bases. The only defense was for one of our players to start cubing defence back. This takes the skill out of the game and makes it a who is willing to pay the most money wins.

I also agree with command centre - whilst part of me loves it - I think the game would be more interesting without - make you manually scout your bases etc.

I know cubing is needed - my only solution is to limit how many refreshes (both tank and energy) should be allowed to be deployed in a 24 hour period. Cubing for 5 hours is great for money raising but then to not essentially play the game for 3 days after is not in the spirit (in my opinion anyway). So limit cubing to whatever someone deems as an hours worth a day - still allows cubers to work - but also brings some skiill back into the game

As a Chicagoland player let me pipe in as to what I see...First the two elements you mention qommnd and cubing I don't think remove strategy from the game but rather force it to evolve. For example, if you operate on a windows phone you could already pin your important zones to track them, now everyone has that ability which means you have to be faster and better coordinated to flip zones.

As for cubing, while I admit it sucks when someone sweeps in and cubes all your grinding into nothing, it's a fact of life. Also, you can tear it down again, and should they cube again, the devs are happy, qonqr improves, and you get more kills as you tear it down.

also if you play in an area with a known cuber you just factor that into your preplan.

the two issues you mentioned, seem to me, to force the social element of the game which is a part of the game I really enjoy.

As a Chicagoland player let me pipe in as to what I see...First the two elements you mention qommnd and cubing I don't think remove strategy from the game but rather force it to evolve. For example, if you operate on a windows phone you could already pin your important zones to track them, now everyone has that ability which means you have to be faster and better coordinated to flip zones.

dont agree at all - having to scan zones to not having to at all is not evolution it's replacement. replace graft with checking a program to do it for you.

I disagree in pinning and command being similar. Pinning two - four zones. Sure wp8 has an advantage, but command lets you monitor literally hundreds of zones with easy allowing a single player to track I'm a second what could take hours even with pinning. (this allows a small group of players to control a huge territory so long as they sufficiently out number or out cube the opposition) delaying, limiting, etc the API would mitigate this, and watching for numbers to change on a website isn't strategy. The social aspect is nice, but it was still there without the API you see a zone getting hammered you still called for assistance, etc.

cubing supports the game, but generally I agree. If someone blows 200$ to knock out one of my zones I personally consider it a win. They effectively turned to bribery to win and support the devs continued creation of the game. It can suck, but it honestly doesn't bother me much.

my biggest gripe is game mechanics favoring whatever faction is in control for recruitment. Something has to be done. The game shines when an area is in flux, with two sides flipping zones and tearing into each others towers. As is many areas this has come to an end because one faction outnumbers another so heavily they just steam roll the other into non existence. No cubing necessary.

I actually think the devs would love an area with a fairly even split. People are more likely to cube to hold or steal territory that would otherwise be a huge grind.

I kind of disagree.

Firstly, we are not talking about the removal of strategy from the game. This is a ridiculous view. What has happened is merely a change In the strategies that works. It happens all the time, in RL too. People figure out how to combat one strategy, so you have to figure out a new one.

Secondly, I like the APIs as they add a new element. Many people don't constantly observe them and they are useful for tracking in areas where your faction has hundreds, if not thousands of zones. However, i do agree that some of them have become too overpowered for the game.

Thirdly, we need cubers like it or not. Without them we would not see any development in the game, an it would stagnate. Nobody likes it, but are you going to stop people spending their own money? Again, find a new strategy to deal with them. You can't expect to use the same ones all the time. My strategy often changes to keep people guessing what i will do.

Finally there is not much you can do about recruitment as it already suggests you join the weakest faction. Ultimately people make the choice they want, and the stronger the network of a team, the more likely they are to join it. Usually the quality of player will be lower though.

As R0bbi3d says and I have seen when you get a big group you get the obnoxious player who goes i am part of x group and annoys a lot of players. big group then becomes target for a mass series of attacks. players who only play cos they are winning get annoyed toys out of pram and leave group shrinks. Attacks continue group has shrunk so ends up loosing teratory and some players switch you end up with a balance.

Cubers - according to a post by the devs 1 cuber = approx 10 non cubers maybe a bit more.

If we really hate cubers that much then you flag up the cuber and all players target them and their own faction leaves them to it.

that way you make them spend this increases the in game spend and discourages heavy cubing and encourages stealth cubing.

What we need to realise is what most people are annoyed about is a group who hide behind a cuber so taking the above example with

1:2:14 if say 2 of those are cubers that is 1:2:34 so to be competitive the 1+2 ally plus need support from 31 outsiders.

Now if there is a core of anti cube players that number is not hard to get they work with the three locals and keep up a sustained bombardment

this is tactics and social suddenly communication from 3 isolated has gone to 34 national plus those 3 once established can help create a wider network.

here's what i see happen at least once a week in the super crowded dc/metro area in the US.

groupme api alert indicates instantly that somene coughed near your zone.

the faction that got attacked messages the person with a welcome message and asks them to switch sides, since they are the first to get alerted of this new players addition to the game.

if the player says no, which they do because at first glance it looks like you get a penalty if you switch, or since they're new they just want to do their own thing.

as soon as the faction that's dominant hears "no", they go to the first zone attacked, throw in some galvs, HL and absorbers, and watch as the person quits b/c they literally can't kill anything.

good job API tools. you've effectively eliminated another player since they are stuck with such a limited range of attack sub lvl 20.

by the time they understand the game or are found by their own faction mates in the webportal new player tool they are already irritated with the game.

this is the number one reason i dislike the api tools, and i agree with the above posts that they destroy any tactical element to the game other than stalking a persons work/sleep schedule.

i've seen faceless/legion do this ALL the time in my local area over the past year... it's utterly demotivated many of us on both sides.

here's what i see happen at least once a week in the super crowded dc/metro area in the US.

groupme api alert indicates instantly that somene coughed near your zone.

the faction that got attacked messages the person with a welcome message and asks them to switch sides, since they are the first to get alerted of this new players addition to the game.

if the player says no, which they do because at first glance it looks like you get a penalty if you switch, or since they're new they just want to do their own thing.

as soon as the faction that's dominant hears "no", they go to the first zone attacked, throw in some galvs, HL and absorbers, and watch as the person quits b/c they literally can't kill anything.

good job API tools. you've effectively eliminated another player since they are stuck with such a limited range of attack sub lvl 20.

by the time they understand the game or are found by their own faction mates in the webportal new player tool they are already irritated with the game.

this is the number one reason i dislike the api tools, and i agree with the above posts that they destroy any tactical element to the game other than stalking a persons work/sleep schedule.

i've seen faceless/legion do this ALL the time in my local area over the past year... it's utterly demotivated many of us on both sides.

yep this is the major problem.

only thing i'd say is this isn't a problem related to faceless/legion - it applies to all factions

yep this is the major problem.

only thing i'd say is this isn't a problem related to faceless/legion - it applies to all factions

yep, not only do a lot of us have 6 months + worth of experience and credits in our arsenal, the api's gives us so much of an edge that vs a new player who doesn't even know these tools exist...

it makes it about as competitive as Mongolian pirates vs Britain's navy... uhh sorry tom hanks, you lose.

**** let's just add the US navy in there as well vs the pirates, they stand a chance right?

haha, get rid of these api's. you can show off your leet coding skills doing something else, something less game breaking.

yep, not only do a lot of us have 6 months + worth of experience and credits in our arsenal, the api's gives us so much of an edge that vs a new player who doesn't even know these tools exist...

it makes it about as competitive as Mongolian pirates vs Britain's navy... uhh sorry tom hanks, you lose.

**** let's just add the US navy in there as well vs the pirates, they stand a chance right?

haha, get rid of these api's. you can show off your leet coding skills doing something else, something less game breaking.

Did you mean Somali Pirates? :D

Correction, Somali Fishermen/Pirates :ph34r:

Responding to the recruitment balances itself... Hardly...

keep in mind the smaller faction in an area gets pounded as the scales tip further against them until they effectively have no presence causing them to typically quit.

now the larger faction people do quit out of boredom, but not at a significant rate.

in my area the situation is additionally crappy because while we have a 1:2:14 split, that 1 is allied with the 14 to effectively "buy" territory. Making it effectively 2:15 but again cross faction alliances isn't something that I personally have a problem with (admittedly those swarm I feel are total toolbags, but I'm biased)

I personally would like there to be no/reduced penalty to switch factions to a smaller faction once the local ratio surpasses a certain point (1:4?) and increase the penalty for moving to a larger faction, I'd say the penalty should even multiply based on how unbalanced an area is. I also feel the penalty for moving up should extend beyond points, perhaps a temporary penalty to credit production.

new players should automatically be dropped into the smallest faction into their area, if they mark someone on another faction as their recruiter they can switch without penalty, however; they can only do this once after that they would be subject to the same penalty as everyone else.

I realize you can still get around all this, but it prevents people from going. "okay, thus faction is winning, I'll just join them"