The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

New Feature - Sync Lock

After much thought review and talking with qonqr staff. my opinion is to shut down synclock. leave multis as no longer a bannable offense, and continue to move forward.

I love the fact that Qonqr tried for so long and hard to fight multi accounts. but the reality of it is there is no 100% way of dealing with them. if you try to block multiple accounts, innocent players will get caught in the cross fire, and cheaters will still manage to cheat.

I have never heard of a free to play game that blcoked multiple accounts. The only ones that had any level of success are subscription based games where there is an actual payment system required just to play. This works beacouse most people will not pay to have a second account and if they do its there money to burn.

Moving forwards the goal should be to stream line the game in ways where players using multiple accounts do not have a harsh impact on other players who do not. There are several games out similar to qonqr where they achieved this though a good purchasable items system and player controlled grouping tools.

I'm quite enjoying this new feature, I haven't infected anyone yet but I'm seeing a few household aka multiscopers get sync locked. As a player who has been up against these household aka multiscopers a few times I know how one sided a battle becomes when the entire household aka multiscopers coordinate an attack or defence.

This evens up the playing field for me :P

After reading the blog post and thinking it through today, I have come to the same conclusion as Tiomun. What's to stop a multiscoper from just waiting 30 seconds between emptying scope A and scope B, basically nullifying any need to purchasing anti-lock?

The answer to multiscoping is just to allow it but not condone it. Maybe if a community of players frowns on your activities, it is the greatest deterrence to any cheater

It's still not clear to me whether it's based on your location during launch or the location of launch. And even if you get past the 30 second rule the 80% is still based only on location.

I gotta admit, I was having some fun holding out against like 20 legion with just me, my wife and kid, but this new "feature" convinced my wife to quit, again, after I just convinced her to come back after you added in the add banner "feature." I was thinking about spending money to give me a chance at holding the zone, but I'm not going to play alone. So thanks for saving me a ton of money and wasted time.

A new low for disgusting pay to win skinner box gameplay. Clicking the same button over and over and being charged for the priveledge to do it with friends and family. No thanks.

We'd both rather be playing ingress anyways.

I just don't see how encouraging even more pay-to-win helps the game. And long term, how does it help the developers when the average player (modicum of paying) is giving up?

This a Family & Friends tax, which discourages gaming in a local group. Now that I know how to circumvent it, I will - but I don't see how it helps anyone if I ramp up another half dozen devices, deploying 30 sec apart. :huh:

After reading the blog post and thinking it through today, I have come to the same conclusion as Tiomun. What's to stop a multiscoper from just waiting 30 seconds between emptying scope A and scope B, basically nullifying any need to purchasing anti-lock?

The answer to multiscoping is just to allow it but not condone it. Maybe if a community of players frowns on your activities, it is the greatest deterrence to any cheater

Looking at the flow chart, I'm guessing that if you fail check 2 and move to check 3, then you must have at least 20% "Same Time" launches 2km apart otherwise you fail. This includes not having any "Same Time" launches at all.

I dunno, my brain hurts :blink:

tumblr_inline_n3eub6vxHg1rqjw0q.png

It's still not clear to me whether it's based on your location during launch or the location of launch. And even if you get past the 30 second rule the 80% is still based only on location.

the more i understand it the less it makes sense ive gotta be honest. it is YOUR location during deployment though.

but what i dont understand anymore, has been explained every which way to me and changed everytime....

the 80% location im fine with.

the 20% of same time launches- it is stil linked to location, so there is NO WAY around the fact that if you are sat next to your wife, for example, even deploying 5 minutes apart wont stop you from being vulnerable to sync locking? say you go on holiday with the mrs, you will obviously be within 2km at all times during your holiday, if a native detects you, as they will with api these days, they infect you straight away and then you can't deploy until tomorrow and when you do they infect you again.

correct? because i had been told that if you stagger your deployments ie more than 30 seconds apart you will be in the clear - but from the latest flowchart picture that seems it is not the case?

After taking time to think about it... I have to applaud what the devs have done here.

They have made multiscoping profitable for them,

But also a hindrance, not as easily abused.. With the reins to control them in the players hands.

And yet everyone is complaining anyways ;)

All things considered, they could have made a worse decision.

Looking at the flow chart, I'm guessing that if you fail check 2 and move to check 3, then you must have at least 20% "Same Time" launches 2km apart otherwise you fail. This includes not having any "Same Time" launches at all.

I dunno, my brain hurts :blink:

this, to be honest, is the only part of it i fully understand. say you and the wife are both total addicts. you deploy constantly - random number 100 deployments per day, if you're a junkie that is nothing right? so 20% of that is 20, obviously, now on a weekend how likely is it you will be 2km away for long enough and with opportunity to make 20 deployments, what 3-4 full bot tanks?

during the week that is fine - assuming you work more than 2km apart - i do know but i used to work with the mrs. not that she plays but as an example.

After taking time to think about it... I have to applaud what the devs have done here.

They have made multiscoping profitable for them,

But also a hindrance, not as easily abused.. With the reins to control them in the players hands.

And yet everyone is complaining anyways ;)

All things considered, they could have made a worse decision.

they could, and i have resolutely defended them i think things could have been done better but overall im ok with things - but i have not been affected in ANYWAY. so it is very easy for me to be like this.

this, to be honest, is the only part of it i fully understand. say you and the wife are both total addicts. you deploy constantly - random number 100 deployments per day, if you're a junkie that is nothing right? so 20% of that is 20, obviously, now on a weekend how likely is it you will be 2km away for long enough and with opportunity to make 20 deployments, what 3-4 full bot tanks?

during the week that is fine - assuming you work more than 2km apart - i do know but i used to work with the mrs. not that she plays but as an example.

The devs are inadvertently saving your marriage by forcing you not to be together 24/2. It's an excuse for you to go to Pub with your mates and for her not to have to drag you around the shops.

So basically you guys have made this a pay to play game for me. I play all the time, at work, home, and where ever I may be when my scope is full. I only use and have ever used my phone. My wife also plays all the time but she works far enough from me that this wont create an issue. The problem is one of my best friends plays too. Why is this a problem you ask? We live 300 yards apart and our business is right between our houses so according to this new rule we are permanently synced. Now think about it...... how is this even close to being fair. You are telling me I need to pay you to protect me from YOU? I love this game but I am not about to pay you for your mistake. AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THIMKS THIS IS TOTAL GARBAGE? A little help from the fellow players would be great. Think if it happened to you.

Ok, i'll take a break from the serious criticisms, and be a bit more constructive.

QONQR is still a small business, that in business terms did not start-up that long ago. Therefore they have very limited resources to work with. Now, over the last few months the majority of the QONQR community have been on the backs of the devs to bring out some new features to keep the game engaging. As with any business in the IT industry they are subject to financial, quality and time restraints. IT businesses can manage two of them, but not usually all three, when working on a project even among the major firms such as microsoft. I would guess what has happened here is that this feature has been pushed to come out on time and on budget, therefore sacrificing some of the quality that went into it's design. We all know that the staff dedicate a lot of time to QONQR, and we should be thanking them for all the work they do.

However, they made a considerable mistake. It happens to every business at some point.

What they released is a sound concept, but fundamentally flawed. Yes, while it has a good potential to punish multi-scopers, Many more people will be caught up as the collateral damage. What's more is that multi-scopers can easily get around it by purchasing protection. However if the innocents caught by it can't afford to buy these, they will suffer from it and Qonqr will lose players. They will also use revenue as people turn to multi-scoping instead of using cubes. This gives me the impression that this will cause more damage than good, punishing families and encouraging more people to take up multi-coping. Now, I don't know how you worked it but, before implementing a feature like this, some consultation with a group of players should have been carried out. You ask what the customer wants, see what you can do, and then arrive at a final product that meets the best of both needs/wants. It sounds like this can't have been done. It's one thing to test the system, it's another to ask the players opinions.

So what options are available? If they left it like this it would be extremely unpopular, and I can foresee the loss of quite a few players. They could go back to the old system, but I feel that this is not an option either as it creates too much work for support. Lets face it, would you like to spend half your time dealing with multi-scoping reports?

How about you guys suggest some of your own solutions, instead of taking out the pitchforks and lighting the torches.

Schnarff if you, your wife and your neighbor are forced out of this game because of this I will quit also. I have spent a ton of time and credits assisting the outnumbered Schnarff and crew in a battle that has lasted months now. I'm not local but I was in the area once and cube stacked and daily missile the area. I'm not ready to walk away from this war but if people I chat with in Groupme from 8am until midnight sometimes are forced out of this game because they play at work or at home I will find another game. As it stands I'm a free to play player from here on out. If more of my teammates are forced out I will leave also. Heck if multiscoping is OK now I will pass my account onto someone and they can have a blast with my remaining 3 million credits.

How about you guys suggest some of your own solutions, instead of taking out the pitchforks and lighting the torches.

I did legalize multis and stop trying to fight them. Qonqr is wasting time and resources even now trying to fight a problem that will not go away for any free game.

This new tool is a cool idea but it in its self is going to result in a constant stream of help requests that will need to be addressed. And since its far easier for me to time my own launches on multiple devices than keep my wife in a 30 second buffer from me most of the people flagged are probably going to be innocent.

bottom line no one player should be able to stop or interfere with another players wright to qonqr!

I agree this change is one that should roll back. Since you can't decipher family from multiscoper there shouldn't be a penalty. Either allow multi-scoping or don't and put up with investigations. Hire someone to do that task. The requirement of honest players having to change their playing patterns is a bit ridiculous to ask.

First of all, I am appalled at the negativism around this and those that are so quick to judge with no constructive criticism. If you haven't been infected yet then you have no right to complain. My brother and I have been, to little surprise (we play together often and he's jailbroken for extra biasing in the system), so let me share some thoughts.

There are a few key points from the thread so far that need clarification. If infected, you are not instantly and permanently on max overheat for 24 hours. Instead, think of the infection as a debuff that links N number of accounts to effectively one account's overheat meter that tracks the number of launches during a rolling hour window, and the infection debuff lasts 24 hours. In my opinion, this will not drastically affect casual players that play together if infected. And remember, you still need to be reported AND meet the criteria for the debuff to be applied. Even still, when you are sharing the overheat meter with someone else, you still have separate scopes with their own bot and energy tanks recharging overtime and can still pool your resources for a coordinated burst, albeit at a slower rate or longer intervals because you will be at higher overheat levels more often. If you simply check-in, harvest, and fully dump your bot tank every 30+ minutes, then being linked with someone should barely affect you. It starts to get noticeable when you coordinate launch dumps at the more optimum 20ish minute intervals.

Let's all be honest, multi-scoping was free and basically inconsequential before, and you still had to be identified and reported. Now, it is: 1) still free but with consequences IF reported AND meet the criteria (infected), and 2) still free but with an OPTIONAL paid feature to cure the infection (inoculated). The dev/support team policing these cases was a HUGE time and resource sink, completely limiting their capabilities to further develop actual game features and/or to address other aspects of the game (re: Pay-to-Win). With this Sync Lock feature in place, it may even allow for them to balance the game (gasp!) through other features/ordinances/events/etc while the player community polices multi-scope exploiters, either handicapping them back to essentially a single account, or making them pay more to keep at it (a win in my book still), which then further supports the dev team for development and balance.

The main concern people seem to have is that innocent people will get caught and infected. Remember, you need to be reported first, so either you are a serious threat (ie. actually a multi-scoper or really coordinated friends/families/colleagues), or are being targeted by a bully so he can handicap you and others. Either way, it still spices things up in my book. If reported, to actually get infected, you must be playing together co-located greater than 80% of your time AND launching simultaneously at least 20% of that time. It's really not that hard to get around if you are already that coordinated and playing together anyways. If you were innocent and more casual in the first place, the odds are already really low that you will even be targeted for reporting AND still meet the criteria. Seriously, everyone chill out...

Lastly, I think this feature, like any software feature, can, and should be, iterated on with tweaks here and there to perfect the algorithm. I have met the dev team, and they are NOT this greedy, power hungry, soul sucking, software development giant that everyone is making them out to be. I say kudos to them for even trying to listen and respond to their player community to address what was one of the top three voiced issues with the game (re: multi-scoping, pay-to-win, and new features)! Addressing multi-scoping was the only way they can even get to the other issues.

Give it some time, experience the feature, use it to infect others, get infected, get inoculated. End users are always the best test environment and the community, the developers, and the software will all evolve accordingly.

Stay calm and QONQR on.