The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Sync Lock Day 3

New Blog Post.

http://blog.qonqr.com/post/81668762694/sync-lock-day-3

Yesterday I visited chat rooms from 5am to 11pm. Thank you to those GroupMe groups that waited for for an hour or two for me to make it to their rooms. The conversations were tough, but constructive. Based on yesterdays conversations, we are going to make the improvements to Sync Lock described in the blog post. I will be "going dark" very soon and working on these updates, in an attempt to get the done ASAP.

Yesterday I encountered many angry and frustrated users as I entered GroupMe groups. I was happy to find that most, but not all, left the conversation perhaps not happy, but at least satisfied.

If you are one of those people, with whom I chatted yesterday, and I have said something that made the difference in your opinion that the Sync Lock is perhaps not ideal, but acceptable, please share the information that you learned. I was unable to chat with everyone, and blog posts cannot convey everything that was said yesterday. If my blog did not include the piece of information that helped your understand Sync Lock, please share it with the community.

Once this round of updates are released, I will be available for more GroupMe conversations.

Unfortunately much of the world has devolved to a mean and ugly place.

sad but true.

edit: having read that all now it seems spot on.

people were too quick to get angry - understandable i guess, i had faith that things would evolve to make this system better, but then i had the benefit of getting to chat to you and listening to others' questions and your responses.

onwards and upwards!

It is a step in the right direction. I would prefer being able to know who locked you. It would allow for retaliation (in game of course) against someone that is obviously seeking an advantage in certain cases.

the people that are complaining about sync lock need to get over it.

people on rooted/jail broken devices will still try and map hack to get around this, but at least it is stopping the people who manipulate the executable qonqr file so that they can play with 4-6 accounts at the same time on one ipad due to the fact that they can't map hack all of them at once since each account is running on a "modified" version of qonqr. so we can all gang up on the users we know are doing it and continuously freeze those accounts with sync lock.

i've personally had about 7 friends quit over BS like that and all the devs could do was listen to people say "oh it's my kids/dogs/cats" or whatever lie they're used to telling the irs when they lie about tax deductions or qonqr accounts lol.

people can and are going to complain as always about any change especially because this is such a public update, but the droves and droves of players that have walked away because of cheating to the extent i described is far worse.

i'm sorry some couples have been negatively affected, but just because you aren't aware of just how damaging a group of unscrupulous players can be doesn't mean you can be ignorant to the fact that it happens.

xbox live is constantly altering games with updates to servers and gameplay after players figure out how to hack and abuse the system, and silver desperately needed to figure out a system to help stop at least some of it in his game.

cheers to you for giving the community the chance to take matters into our own hands by enabling sync lock and letting us find these players.

and honestly, does the community think players that cheat that well are actually buying cubes or supporting the game's development?

the community will eventually put such a damper on multiscopers that hopefully it will become such a hassle so that they stop completely. one dude with 3 devices isn't going to want to sit around all day spacing out his launches, but a couple should easily be able to time it and it may take adjustments but it's a small sacrifice that is for the betterment of the game.

some friends are actually coming back to the game now that the playing field has changed and for that i am grateful.

silver may want to send out an email with a list of the changes and maybe a small gift of cubes to those users that "rejoin the war" after having been away from the game.

cheers mate.

When you implement all the new rules can you please not make them retroactive. Only work from point of change? We can adapt to changes in the game but since my enemies know my family plays they seem to like to use these changes as a form of attack. Can't adjust game play four days in the past to accommodate rule changes. Getting sync lock by a enemy for game play that took place before rule change is bogus. Thanks for talking with us yesterday. Hard to go into a room where you know your gonna get a hostile greeting.

When you implement all the new rules can you please not make them retroactive. Only work from point of change? We can adapt to changes in the game but since my enemies know my family plays they seem to like to use these changes as a form of attack. Can't adjust game play four days in the past to accommodate rule changes. Getting sync lock by a enemy for game play that took place before rule change is bogus. Thanks for talking with us yesterday. Hard to go into a room where you know your gonna get a hostile greeting.

tree has a point. a lot of couples fell victim to this. but i think silver purposefully didn't give any notice so that he could see how many ms'ers were caught before they could adapt so he could gauge how big the problem actually was...

just a thought.

Due to the way it will work it will have to go back 1000 launches up to 4 days from day one of going live. However, a 4 or 5 day notification prior to launch will probably help.

Is the system instant? I noticed a player start firing for the first time in a week (a player who is heavily suspected of being a "family member").

I immediately jumped onto the portal and tried to sync him with his proposed main account, at which point it failed.

Is there any chance the failure was because the system simply thought that this player didn't exist yet, as the system hadn't caught up with a launch from the past few seconds? Is there any delay?

Is the system instant? I noticed a player start firing for the first time in a week (a player who is heavily suspected of being a "family member").

I immediately jumped onto the portal and tried to sync him with his proposed main account, at which point it failed.

Is there any chance the failure was because the system simply thought that this player didn't exist yet, as the system hadn't caught up with a launch from the past few seconds? Is there any delay?

It currently looks at the last 24 hours.

Edit: That probably doesn't answer your question but I wouldn't worry 'cus it's changing soon anyway.

I was online with Silver yesterday, while being locked for 29 hours. Essentially, there's no good way to protect families without also protecting multiscopers. I get it. I'm working from home today, as I did yesterday, AND the weekend is coming up, so there's no way around my avoiding the sync aside from inoculation.

So Bleu and I inoculated. So have all the multiscopers we reported and locked over the past two days. And new multiscope accounts are popping up, blatantly. All inoculated.

I see no other way of playing other than to adopt the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" philospohy. So all those accusation in the past on my multiscopiing that were untrue - starting today it's going to be VERY true.

It probably won't last long, because playing on multiple devices is just plain silly to me. But to prove a point, and show how decimating it can be for a very small cost, I'm joining the same gameplay as the "bad guys". And I'm going to pound on them mercilessly.

Welcome to the Jungle.

The devs could give perks to "real accounts" to help combat multiscopers.

A lot of game's limit what free users can do because people like making multiple accounts to win and get an edge or even beat paying players.

Why not set up a phone number / email verification system?

At level 50 prompt people with the option of inputting their email address to receive a boost to their bot tank capacity.

At level 100 when they complete training prompt users for the option to enter their phone number (just like groupme requires) and give them an additional boost to bot tank and now a boost to energy capacity as well.

If you don't want a subscription based game, and don't want a pay to win game, then at least consider giving real players the tools to fighter harder and play longer than multiscope accounts, alts and extra devices?

There are many avenues you can take to work around the giant advantage multiscopers have, the main one being phone number authentication through a legit carrier and not some fake skype/google account.

If you ask for personal information right off the bat no one will want to give it to you since it's just a mobile phone game "initially". But once a user becomes "hooked", then offer them perks for syncing up and maybe the community can go back to how it was when I fell in love with the game last april. Friends/enemies/devs --> everyone was cheerful and kind and helpful.

So a short summary:

Incentivize adding your personal info and keep a tight privacy setting option for users. Do not require any more info than you do now but let it be known that sync lock will have little effect on users "we" (the devs) know you are a real player. You can accomplish this for level 100 players by giving the option of adding personal info through the webportal to avoid ios privacy restriction if the user wishes.

Add an option to add email verification, phone number authentication, a personal pincode that syncs up your lte/3g gsm/cdma ip address and your wifi router's ip address (unless smarty pants want to use a fake vpn or proxy), facebook linking, twitter, groupme.

Incentivize getting more entrenched in the qonqr community or straight up make the users who do so "more powerful" so they have an easier time attacking the kid playing on his phone and his tablet.

People multiscope because a fake account is just as powerful as a real account. I like the idea of paid accounts having an edge because they did support the game's development, but if you don't want to go that route at least consider "buffing" all users who show that they are loyal to the rules and are active/involved members of the community.

I think we'll see a period of the multiscopers actively inoculating and continuing with their cheating. BUT, given the financial implications of continuing that behavior, I don't think it will last. We just have to be patient for a bit and wait them out.

This sounds like a brilliant change. Not perfect but a massive improvement.

Really? I must be in a lucky area, we are on good terms with quite a few 'enemy' operatives. I haven't experienced things like hate messages over attacks.

The devs could give perks to "real accounts" to help combat multiscopers.

A lot of game's limit what free users can do because people like making multiple accounts to win and get an edge or even beat paying players.

Why not set up a phone number / email verification system?

At level 50 prompt people with the option of inputting their email address to receive a boost to their bot tank capacity.

At level 100 when they complete training prompt users for the option to enter their phone number (just like groupme requires) and give them an additional boost to bot tank and now a boost to energy capacity as well.

If you don't want a subscription based game, and don't want a pay to win game, then at least consider giving real players the tools to fighter harder and play longer than multiscope accounts, alts and extra devices?

There are many avenues you can take to work around the giant advantage multiscopers have, the main one being phone number authentication through a legit carrier and not some fake skype/google account.

If you ask for personal information right off the bat no one will want to give it to you since it's just a mobile phone game "initially". But once a user becomes "hooked", then offer them perks for syncing up and maybe the community can go back to how it was when I fell in love with the game last april. Friends/enemies/devs --> everyone was cheerful and kind and helpful.

So a short summary:

Incentivize adding your personal info and keep a tight privacy setting option for users. Do not require any more info than you do now but let it be known that sync lock will have little effect on users "we" (the devs) know you are a real player. You can accomplish this for level 100 players by giving the option of adding personal info through the webportal to avoid ios privacy restriction if the user wishes.

Add an option to add email verification, phone number authentication, a personal pincode that syncs up your lte/3g gsm/cdma ip address and your wifi router's ip address (unless smarty pants want to use a fake vpn or proxy), facebook linking, twitter, groupme.

Incentivize getting more entrenched in the qonqr community or straight up make the users who do so "more powerful" so they have an easier time attacking the kid playing on his phone and his tablet.

People multiscope because a fake account is just as powerful as a real account. I like the idea of paid accounts having an edge because they did support the game's development, but if you don't want to go that route at least consider "buffing" all users who show that they are loyal to the rules and are active/involved members of the community.

The problem is identifying a real player from a fake player when the real player frequently plays in a location with other players. Providing a mobile number to QONQR for verification isn't going to help when people can have multiple mobile phones.

I know people who have 2 mobiles, one for personal use, the other for work, and there is nothing to stop these people setting up an account on both devices. You could also borrow a phone from other members of your household, setup an account and then pinch it from them to launch when required (if they let you).

Cluck Cluck

Additional: The Credit Card verification thing might work better than a mobile number. I think PayPal uses it, so you give them your credit card number (name on card, expiry date, security number), they take 99 cents/pence and immediately put it back with a reference number so that the card holder can see in their statement and enter it on the website.

Well this sucks. I'll be sync locked all the time now unless bq starts really neglecting work and playing more. Also, it now makes it impossible for couples on vacation to play at all, because they'll always be in the same spit.

I think we'll see a period of the multiscopers actively inoculating and continuing with their cheating. BUT, given the financial implications of continuing that behavior, I don't think it will last. We just have to be patient for a bit and wait them out.

I certainly hope that will be the case. but in my area the multiscopers are also paying cubers... at least that's what I've gleaned from the amount of locking we've done over the past 2 days.

I'm going out on a limb and maybe suggesting that Chicago is a whole different ballgame than most areas, due to sprawl (I think Chicago has about 2.5m people, but include the suburbs and you're up to almost 10m) and pockets of wealth. In my neck of the woods, we have about 7 active Legion and 42 active Faceless (and a few active Swarm, one of whom we've locked to Faceless. Go figure.)

Just a few people multiscoping and paying for the privilege is wreaking havoc. And I have no choice but to pay to inoculate because of the way the algorithms work.

I don't have any solution other than the pattern of me and Bleu over the course of the last year. We're obviously different people who deploy miles apart from each other. Except on weekends, holidays, and when I work from home. Anyone have a solution for that? Other than just paying for inoculation?

SYNC LOCK! SYNC LOCK!

Absolutly love levelling the playing/battle field. As far as I'm concerned, I am teaching a cheat a lesson.

I bet not too many have been affected locally near me. I haven't seen a single UK player complaining about being caught multiscoping, I mean playing with family. lol

I think this change is in the right direction. Still not perfect, but better than the initial implementation. This has no affect on me so I really don't care much either way and so far I've only seen couples hit with it (at least in my faction, can't speak for Legion or Swarm).

Here's what I think will happen when you implement these 2km "buckets".

"Now let's say, *hypothetically*, if someone was map hacking on a tablet, knew where you lived, knew you weren't inoculated, moved their coordinates to your location, say your college/house/work site for instance, and sync locked their alt to your account via their main account's web portal, then also sync locked their alt to your families accounts, and plasma spammed their alt into bright red and laughed at you while attacking you with their main account... yea, I could definitely see why people would be throwing a fit and breaking their phones."

As long as that doesn't happen or any variation then i'm fine.

I like sync lock the way it is and now that the community can police multiscopers it would be nice to get rid of map hacking once and for all.

I believe the 2km bucket system adds unintended flaws but the decision is up to you and I will continue to slide my credit card into qonqr. Lol... =)

Solution?

Straight up make the game unplayable from a rooted/jailbroken device or pc emulating said device.

That is the only way I see you getting rid of map hacking. Especially on iOS, since the iOS map hack overrides the gps antenna as opposed to android where it conflicts with the gps antenna.

lol you can probably guess my discontent with iOS 7....

1 click root for iOS 7.1 + cydia + fake gps = win?

"You are attempting to play Qonqr on an unsecured scope, please secure your scope per instructions at "support" before proceeding."

Belle and I have good jobs lol, how much money do we gotta donate for that block to ever become a reality.

All problems solved if that ever happens.

Fyi I have an ipad because of KOTOR and it's the best game ever! oh wait i mean Qonqr is! i'm confused! star wars or qonqr...? ahhhhhhh in a perfect world i'd have both! oh wait, i do... =)

i'm still with treeslayer on not spending cubes until couples stop getting sync locked.

but whatevs, i still like the feature, despite some tinkering being required.