The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ariaore

The 'Lets Fix SyncLock' Thread

So, Synclock may a bit of a mess, but I had some thoughts on how to improve it.. And thus I will toss them out here to be ridiculed and flamed :)

Now, from what I understand, SyncLock, at it's heart, is a griefing tool.. one aimed at multiscopers.. but is currently targeting families as an unfortunate side affect.

Thought One: Make SyncLock tactical. Remove the free Locks.. make a person pay a Qube per use. Since SyncLock went active, I've used mine at random.. hitting (or trying to) my neighbors. (Sorry Suna!) However,if you put a pricetag on the use of SL, I'm pretty sure people will stop firing them off randomly.. or locking the same people for days on end. To that end, remove the month-long immunity. Now it becomes a game of bluff and counter, used a day at a time.

Thought Two: Make it an AOE affect. That it targets the physical location of the player's last launch... and overheats every scope within X amount of miles around it. Or for that matter, able to target a single player.

Really, my thought in this matter stems from the core idea of: Make it less about speciality (Fighting Multiscopers) and make it seem a natural part of the game (Electronic Warfare?). It will still accomplish it's intended purpose, but won't seem like an attempt to punish people who play together.

Personally, I love QONQR, and the fact that the Devs are constantly trying toimprove it. If you have any constructive ideas to add to mine, feel free to post them here! Who knows, maybe one of them will be used!

I never understood why others get a free scoop of cat **** to throw at you every day while you had to pay premium for an umbrella...

Besides that - why a ridiculously big distance of 2 km beween players ? iphone and i guess other phones gps give you an accuracy of 5 m - any launches that occur in a certain timeframe at least 50 m apart simply can not be from the same person and i doubt that anyone will keep running from point A to point B over and over again just for an advantage in an online game.

Launches apart at roughly the same time should lead to an immediate cure and 24 h inoculation because these players have proven *not* to be multiscopers - i can neither see any sense in a re-coupling of OH as soon as one of the scopes comes home again.

Other than to maximize profit, that is. But in that case revenue would be much higher if all those fruitless synclock attemps cost a cube per shot, too.

My daughter and I played together yesterday evening until she went to a sleepover 4 houses away. I guess she played there, too yesterday evening or this morning and guess what - someone had no other concerns in life on a sundy morning but to wake up and synclock us...

I never understood why others get a free scoop of cat **** to throw at you every day while you had to pay premium for an umbrella...

the essence of the sync virus is to give honest players [95% of whom are non spenders] a way of reducing multi scopers from having such an impact on the game.

the friendly fire aspect on familes is an unfortunate byproduct that needs to be eliminated obviously, but if you make a sync lock attempt cost a cube then you are totally removing the whole point of it IMO

Launches apart at roughly the same time should lead to an immediate cure and 24 h inoculation because these players have proven *not* to be multiscopers - i can neither see any sense in a re-coupling of OH as soon as one of the scopes comes home again.

Other than to maximize profit, that is. But in that case revenue would be much higher if all those fruitless synclock attemps cost a cube per shot, too.

this is something i mentioned to silver but the problem being, say you are a multi scoper. you get synced, no problem, one location spoofed scope and one legit scope, launch together and you're in the clear.

I'd see people actually hacking their phones just to pretend to be elsewhere as a grave psychological problem too.

From what I've read detecting that isn't all that hard in the client so why not ban these accounts from the game completely ?

And as long as launches happen from locations simultaniously far enough apart ( more than shouting distance ) AND follow different goals/patterns ,too for most of the time I would not suspect these were one single user.

I'd see people actually hacking their phones just to pretend to be elsewhere as a grave psychological problem too.

From what I've read detecting that isn't all that hard in the client so why not ban these accounts from the game completely ?

And as long as launches happen from locations simultaniously far enough apart ( more than shouting distance ) AND follow different goals/patterns ,too for most of the time I would not suspect these were one single user.

don't get me wrong, i agree with you, im just saying it is something silver is aware of but said it would be very hard to implement whilst making it difficult to cheat.

for me it is the most surefire way of differentiating between cheaters and scopers, but only if done correctly.

for example say i multiscope and can spoof. i get locked. one scope i deploy at my house, the next scope i spoof 50km away and deploy at the same time. then i continue to use scope A but don't use the other scope for an hour... in that time i could have travelled the 50km necessary and then i can use both scopes happily for x amount of time until i get locked again and do the same to unlock.

i didn't mean people taking their one device deploying elsewhere then returning home and start deploying from both or all 35 devices they have - i meant situations like mine where i leave home and coordinate with my kids to prove we are actually really different real life players even if already that is sick and crazy enough to do for ANY game...

And to be honest - if there are really people out there drawing all their self esteem from beeing good at a little game AND take an effort like that to keep playing from several devices - let them ! I consider that a much better thing than having them end up in a shopping mall or school with an M16 or Uzi...just because they didn't accomplish anything in real life.

i didn't mean people taking their one device deploying elsewhere then returning home and start deploying from both or all 35 devices they have - i meant situations like mine where i leave home and coordinate with my kids to prove we are actually really different real life players even if already that is sick and crazy enough to do for ANY game...

but that is the point, how can they tell teh difference between someone who drives 2km away from their house, deploys a few times and someone who just spoofs that?

how do they detect it now ?? if there really are people spoofing a different location on another phone they will do so with synclock, too, evading the whole synclock criteria system (about how many players are we talking here ??)

synclock makes no sense in that case in any way. shut down the qonqr client on any rooted or jailbroken device or give them a kind of synclock type disadvantage permanently like 10 % worse refresh rates for oh/bot tanks/ energy

Can a jailbroken device be 'flagged' and therefore restricted?

If I could spoof my location, Id be busy scooping all the uncapped zones in the world. That would fun.

For me at least lol.

Can a jailbroken device be 'flagged' and therefore restricted?

If I could spoof my location, Id be busy scooping all the uncapped zones in the world. That would fun.

For me at least lol.

i believe so, i think it is happening already

the essence of the sync virus is to give honest players [95% of whom are non spenders] a way of reducing multi scopers from having such an impact on the game.

Call me old fashioned, but the players shouldn't have to police themselves. I'm sure there may be, but I can't think of a single other game where a player can penalize another player without developer involvement. I have nothing but respect for Silver & Co., but when I first heard of this it felt like they said "Screw it, we can't keep up with cheaters, you guys do it yourselves. And we found a way to make a few bucks from it besides, so win-win, right?"

Getting back on topic, my suggestion to fix sync lock? Scrap it. In my opinion, there are no redeeming features of this plan; not only does it actively allow players to grief other players, it essentially absolves cheating by letting players buy forgiveness, and that was determined to be a bad idea over 500 years ago.

Do I have a better idea? Nope. I have ideas, but I'm sure most have already been considered and rejected. All I bring to the table to help is 'I think this feature is hurting the game more than helping it', and a quick tally of the pro- and anti-sync posts tells me I'm not in the minority.

Some online games allow you to start a vote to kick a player out of a game session. It's not perfect, but what is.

Also remember that when a new feature is implemented, those with grievances will voice their opinion here but those who like it or are indifferent to it probably won't (excluding forums whores like me). And a majority of players don't even come here.

My strong recommendation is that the pernicous term "sync lock" be retired and abandoned permanently -- the better way forward is to refer to the former "sync lock" as a "virus" support weapon available on the scope that sickens enemy relationships -- moreover, "inoculation" would also become a support weapon available on the scope -- again, QONQR should abandon the pernicious "sync lock" terminology and instead adopt "virus" and "inoculation" as descriptions for support weapons that can be purchased using credits and employed as the player sees fit -- thanks.

My strong recommendation is that the pernicous term "sync lock" be retired and abandoned permanently -- the better way forward is to refer to the former "sync lock" as a "virus" support weapon available on the scope that sickens enemy relationships -- moreover, "inoculation" would also become a support weapon available on the scope -- again, QONQR should abandon the pernicious "sync lock" terminology and instead adopt "virus" and "inoculation" as descriptions for support weapons that can be purchased using credits and employed as the player sees fit -- thanks.

I like this. I would like even more if this didn't seem to be only geared at people playing together (whether that be two people or one with a personality disorder). If virus and inoculation were new weapons that could be targeted at ANYONE, i'd be all for it. But since they can only be reserved for a select few deemed punishable, I hate it. I get it was meant for multiscopers, but all the friendly fire taking out decent players... is that an acceptable loss? I'd rather the friendly fire indiscriminately take out everybody fairly. :)