The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gadgerson

Sync Lock Blog Post and Video of how it works.

I was one of the two in NC that were locked the first day of the most recent rule change. The other was my wife.

She joined me at home Saturday to attack a 1M zone with our regional team. Based on the rules that had been enunciated the day before, we actually took the time to stagger our launches several minutes apart (when the rule was just 30 seconds - we wanted to make sure we were in the clear). Unfortunately, the rule changed during our attack. Since it was the weekend, and she had not launched from anywhere but home while I was there over that particular 24hr period, we were locked. Oh, btw, the reason she hadn't launched the day before is b/c she was busy all day helping our teenage daughter prepare for a trip to Costa Rica with her school. So she didn't pull out her phone and play a game. She didn't watch tv. She didn't get much sleep. But she did get sync locked. And she did get ticked.

Even though I have stated my opposition to these rules, we were careful to follow the rule AS IT EXISTED AT THE TIME. Yet, that wasn't good enough. My concern under the first 2-3 versions of sync lock was more for college kids and other people who are together all day. I had even posted on the forums (and fully believed) that I would not be a candidate for sync lock b/c there is plenty of data showing none of us are multis, especially with a 4-day look-back. I launch all day every day. My wife launches at various times, usually if there is a significant attack or need for defense. She launches more often when I'm around, but she also launches on her own when I'm at work. My son is, well, random. I can neither predict nor control the timing of a 15yo boy. Regardless, there is plenty of objective data showing us all over the map at various times.

Yet, we were sync locked. While following the freaking rule that was in place at time we launched.

If I were a multi, I could easily time my launches on separate devices. But b/c my wife and son and I may be launching from different rooms in the same house, we stand a greater risk of being locked.

My wife decided to not bother launching any more over the weekend.

The other side to this is that the player who locked us knew we are two separate legit players. They did it to gain an advantage for their team in an attack. They did not do it for the "good of the community." Do you seriously not understand how this stupid rule will be manipulated?

So, now we have made multiscoping basically legal (after all, you reinstated them) and made it FAR easier for a mutli to play than for a family to play (b/c it's FAR easier for a multi to time launches fhan for a family to do so). And we've given manipulative players a way to lock honest players based on knowing a bit of personal information.

This is idiotic.

The fact you guys can't screen out multis is no reason to punish the innocent. As I said elsewhere, just admit it and move on. This rule was designed to save you time on all the reports of multis. And to save you from dealing with the stress of people upset at your decisions. That's a cop out. You've shown you can't control it. Ok, fine. But don't reinstate multis, create a rule that lets them play freely, lock innocent families, and then tell me this rule makes sense. If you want to deceive yourself, fine; but don't throw BS at me and expect me to not call it out.

And I am not going to pay you a freaking extortion fee in order to avoid a dumb rule.

I've played nice in the conversations about this until now. I've tried to reason objectively even when I was 100% sure the rule would not affect my family b/c I was concerned about the damage it could do to other innocent players. I've read all your points trying to justify it. But they are hollow. The only reason that makes sense was so you could avoid the work and headache that was created when you over-promised (safe community w/o cheaters) and under-delivered (couldn't stop multis). The only rational answer was to admit it and move on. But no, You had to pass the buck. You are either naive or foolish. I don't know which and don't particularly care, at this point.

I would like to suggest that this feature be reserved for the school/work week as in Monday - Friday but not on Saturday and Sunday if you feel strongly about keeping sync locked.

Or a sync lock "immunity" automatically applied to your account and another account that you've been sync locked with prior if the conditions below are met:

Condition one: You've been sync locked before and are already frustrated at this system and so has a member of your family, coworker, spouse or a fling you keep around that plays the game.

Condition two: You've both had 50% of your launches away from each other all week (M-F) because you had to make a living and didn't/couldn't be around each other during the work/school week.

Condition three: You don't want to quit qonqr because every weekend your sync locked by your enemies because you play together during an op, while your out together on a date or at dinner, at the movies, off in some park hooking up hoping not to get caught or hosting a drinking party where you invite your friends and have a jolly good time or if you have kids and they're being annoying and want ice cream and your all sitting at dairy queen waiting for the underpaid employee to read a book on how to make an ice cream sundae.

Anyone else getting sync locked with their partner because on weekends you finally get to see each other and spend the weekend doing errands and **** together?

Silver your rule is fine during the week but like BuYu a lot of honest players are getting reamed on weekends by your "if you play together you better pay together" setup.

If a family has showed they're innocent all week and met your criteria grant them an automatic immunity for Saturday and Sunday since families spend most of that time together. And have you had a clingy girlfriend that won't leave you alone all weekend? They exist! And they play qonqr!

I believe if you find a way to implement this into sync lock it will still screw over multi-cheaters but add another loophole that couples and families can use to escape your noose.

At least consider it please? I added my normal subtle humor to amuse you but i'm getting sick of people sync locking belle and I when we spend the weekends together either at home in the rain or when we're out and about in la la land (aka dragging her to the gym and then an expensive dinner because she's yelling about being sore).

Either way, I can't be the only one having this issue about being away all M-F and passing the constant sync lock tests but then getting nailed on the weekends for being around the other scope because work is over and I wanna "play". Hint hint nudge nudge get my drift?

So conclusion...

If you pass M-F, then you are immune Sat and Sun.

Thanks.

While I may not have the same attitude toward the devs as Buyu and some of my teammates, I have to support his stance on this feature. Sync Lock, while in theory can appeal to "diplomacy", players holding each other accountable, etc, is one of those classic "good intention" ideas ripe for mishandling and abuse.

It creates an even bigger problem than multiscoping.

I have heard of countless multifaction problems with this feature. More often than not, sync lock is abused by players who purposefully sync-lock known family accounts to gain an advantage. Previous areas where teams were balanced have now been ruined as the side with the most "loner" (such as mine) accounts gains huge tactical advantages. Obviously and rightfully so, the family players choose not to pay this cube premium since it costs the opponent zero to lock them.

Sync-locking players that you do not even know is another feature that is easily abused. World-wide communication and lists are kept of players that test positive for sync locking, and now anyone and everyone who knows you are a candidate for sync lock will lock you out. Even if you manage a local truce, anyone unaware of the truce on the other side of the world will now lock you out. Worse off, the player locked won't be able to trace the source of the lock, and thus there is no accountability for players immune to sync lock.

I am one of those players immune to sync lock since I do not play with friends and am not in close proximity to any other player. After a day of locking players, I have decided never again to use this feature because of the negative game environment it has created.

Abolish sync lock and move on.

As I have said many times, the multiscoping issue has just about ruined the game for a lot of people, glad an effort has been made but it was the wrong avenue to pursue. Mistakes were made. I feel a long run of words will be redundant since Buyu and Kirra hit most the points I would of made. I almost feel like making a multiscope now. Just so you all can see how easy it would be to get away with it... But, I have a life outside of qonqr... And I feel that creating an account named "helipilot_multi1" would be a huge waste of time. The game isn't worth it to me, and is loosing good players, legit players... But if anyone does see that name pop up... Please. Try and sync lock it, I promise it won't work. If you don't see that, I had no **** to give...

Like lluuf, I myself am not affected much personally by this because I am not lucky enough to have my kids or wife want to deploy with me. Although, I am also not an old man sitting on my porch stacking by my lonesome like a certain swarm, who will remain nameless, would have you believe. Where sync lick has impacted me is through my teammates. I've been playing since roughly August of 2012. I have nurtured many relationships with faceless not only in North Carolina, but Virginia, and South Carolina, among other states. The social aspect of the game is probably what I like most.

So, even though I'm not directly impacted my teammates are. Buyu is one of those along with several others that I play with that have been locked. That does impact my game play when they are locked since it screws with strategy. All against players who are doing nothing wrong. I'm not sure what the answer is but wanted to share a perspective of someone not directly locked. What I can say is it's a drag seeing so many of my teammates getting locked for playing fairly and is giving me a bad taste in my mouth.

I have to agree with BuYu on this. As myself, my wife & my cousin were also sync locked during the same regional operation BuYu is referring to. During this op we were all together at a family reunion, and just as BuYu said, we made sure to stagger deployments over 2 minutes apart to appease your 30 second rule. And we were also locked by a player who knows we are not multis. Beyond that, my wife deploys very regularly every day from home while I'm as much as 150 miles away deploying. We only deploy together at night and on weekends. I could almost understand myself & my cousin getting locked, as we deploy together at work 10-12 hours a day. But how my wife and I can be locked is well beyond my comprehension. Even more so how my cousin & wife get locked when they almost never deploy together.

As for the person we were locked by, a player we've suspected as a multi for a while, also cubes heavily. Now, my wife & I buy cubes too when we can justify the expense. As parents to 2 young children on a 40-45k a year salary, purchasing 40 cubes a month for innoculation is beyond our means. This has honestly gotten to the point that its become asinine. I would rather you just let the multi scopers run completely free as oppose to the current situation. Without this sync lock in play, my team can handle fighting a multi scoper in an honest fight. But when a multi scopers or teams sync lock players they know to be legitimate, then cube an attack against the same players, there's nothing you can do.

So yeah, something needs to be improved or just let the multi scopers multi scope. To me that's just twice as many bots to knock out.

I haven't been sync locked. I know Buyu in person, and can say without doubt that he's not multiscoping, or doing anything else that goes against the spirit of the game. The fact that this system is hitting him should be a red flag indicating that it's a bad system.

What is the purpose of these rules? If it's to maintain fair play by reducing multiscoping ... well, as far as I can tell, you're encouraging true multiscoping. A lot of players who have never multiscoped before are thinking about it now, since the penalty is so small. Meanwhile, you have two actual human players getting penalized because they live in the same household. You're accomplishing the exact opposite of your stated goal.

I appreciate the difficulty you've had enforcing multiscoping rules in the past. However, that is not a reason to create an arbitrary new rule that you know is going to affect "innocent" players as much as, if not more than, it's going to affect actual multiscopers.

Just drop the rule entirely and announce that multiscoping is now legal. That might not be ideal, and you might lose some players who are stuck competing against guys willing to push the envelope. But at least it's all above board at that point, honest players don't get penalized, and nobody has to ponder whether they're willing to break a ridiculous rule or whether they want to stay 100% above-board.

Mr. Silver,

As a paying customer I would like to hear you respond to the issues that are being brought up here.

As a paying customer I would like to hear you acknowledge the families being effected.

Maybe there's nothing to be done so tell us that. Your lack of response is .... Well its just rude.

Mr. Silver,

As a paying customer I would like to hear you respond to the issues that are being brought up here.

As a paying customer I would like to hear you acknowledge the families being effected.

Maybe there's nothing to be done so tell us that. Your lack of response is .... Well its just rude.

Yeah! It would have been nice if Silver would post blogs about Sync Lock! ****, why not join GroupMe rooms to personally address this new feature and get feedback. It would be even better if he would take the time to make changes based on that feedback.

Way to drop the ball devs...

Hey Silver, question about the GPS.

I know you said you're working to get the cell tower lock stuff down, but I've noticed with my device (lumia 1520) that while I'm traveling on the road, the system does not update me accurately. I can be by one zone for a long time, move PAST another zone, and it doesn't even pick up that I've moved from my old zone, and then will jump to a new zone, completely bypassing the fact that I travel through a zone (or even zones) in between. Is this a result of qonqr software not picking up the latest GPS updates?

Of course if I were using a GPS app for directions, it has my movements down as soon as they happen, but I'm assuming that at least some of that is just accelerometer interpretation of where my phone is vs what GPS reports my location as. If this is the case, could some of that be built into the QONQR system, so that it can more accurately interpret where we are?

The reason I bring this up is that, first of all, the video was great for illustrating your point, but not very practical to a lot of peoples' applications (but being a developer, I know all about how you can test exactly what you know your code does, and miss actual use cases). For practical use, it's really one of two situations for me:

- I'm at home working and BQ (my fiancee) is working away from me, or we're both at home. We don't both randomly stagger across our city while playing QONQR.

- The other situation is, as I described, where I'm moving along a road and QONQR isn't picking up my actual location, which again would negate the map shown in the video where it picks up location movements every handful of blocks.

For the video to be realistic for ME (on my phone at least), I'd have to STOP and have coffee somewhere, get resolved at being at that place, move a handful of blocks, stop, get resolved, etc. Quite frankly I don't even think that's possible with the times that were listed in the video. I would seriously doubt that the QONQR app would update my location that specifically in durations as short as those mentioned on the video, based on practical use.

I've also had my QONQR location "locked" in the wrong location as Phrozt describes for hours at a time. The problem sometimes persists despite shutting down the app or even shutting down the phone. The phone gets the proper location quickly (can tell with my real world map apps), but QONQR for some reason may not update. I'm using a WP8 device.

I would have to believe this problem also creates issues with sync lock. I know there are times when my location has been off by as many as 20 miles. It usually resets in 5-10 minutes, but it can take hours.

I've also had my QONQR location "locked" in the wrong location as Phrozt describes for hours at a time. The problem sometimes persists despite shutting down the app or even shutting down the phone. The phone gets the proper location quickly (can tell with my real world map apps), but QONQR for some reason may not update. I'm using a WP8 device.

I would have to believe this problem also creates issues with sync lock. I know there are times when my location has been off by as many as 20 miles. It usually resets in 5-10 minutes, but it can take hours.

the iphone qonqr app doesn't suffer from this. it instantly knows where you are and is always updating the miles away the zone your attacking is down to 3 significant figures. even driving like 70 mph i can glance down and see my location blue icon following me on the highway.

must be a wp8 problem?

i know the ipad likes to say (null / null) all the time now though, but i assume that's because i don't have lte in mine so it's using wifi to figure out its location through my ip address.

Mr. Silver,

My apologies for not responding immediately to every post in the forums. I have been busy updating the Windows Phone and server code in response to all the feedback.

Yeah! It would have been nice if Silver would post blogs about Sync Lock! ****, why not join GroupMe rooms to personally address this new feature and get feedback. It would be even better if he would take the time to make changes based on that feedback.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. After Sync Lock was released I spent 40-60 hours over the course of 4 days in Group Me groups talking to hundreds of players from all over the world. Players in London woke me up at 4:30 am on a Sunday for a two hour chat about Sync Lock. I've blogged about Sync lock on average once every 4 days. We are doing our very best to address the concerns of the players who are affected by Sync Lock in an effort to achieve the goals of stopping multi-scopers who line up several devices on their desks, while still giving friends and families the ability to play together. We are actively engaging players to discuss the issues.

I've just released a new update to Sync Lock to give families a way to get unlocked. Now the same rules that get you locked, can get you unlocked.

http://blog.qonqr.com/post/82936426882/breaking-out-of-sync-lock

The Windows Phone is ready to go and now players can get their proximity for Sync Lock down to 150 feet. The iPhone should be ready to submit to the marketplace in the next few days. Once the iPhone has been submitted, I'll release the Windows Phone update.

The new ability to reduce the 2Km radius down to 50 meters and the ability for families to now not only have a way to get unlocked, but also information to help them see who must fix their launches, was all built in response to player feedback. We continue to make improvements. Once the new clients are released, it should make a big positive impact on the families.

In response to the location issues on Windows Phone. QONQR receives an update to your GPS location every time you open the application or every 1/4 mile while moving. Since most people are stationary when they use QONQR, the location is updated when they open the application and all should be fine. If you are moving down the highway while playing, 1/4 mile is also a the best interval we found through much testing. This interval was set to balance battery and data usage.

If you are opening your application and your location is still wrong, it is your phone that cannot get your location, not QONQR. QONQR requests your location from the phone, and it gives it to us. If you find that Bing Maps says you are in once place, but when you immediately switch to QONQR, our map shows you in another place, that is an issue with QONQR. If this is happening, please send some screen shots to support so we can dig into the issue further.

This was definitely sarcasm.

In response to the location issues on Windows Phone. QONQR receives an update to your GPS location every time you open the application or every 1/4 mile while moving. Since most people are stationary when they use QONQR, the location is updated when they open the application and all should be fine. If you are moving down the highway while playing, 1/4 mile is also a the best interval we found through much testing. This interval was set to balance battery and data usage.

If you are opening your application and your location is still wrong, it is your phone that cannot get your location, not QONQR. QONQR requests your location from the phone, and it gives it to us. If you find that Bing Maps says you are in once place, but when you immediately switch to QONQR, our map shows you in another place, that is an issue with QONQR. If this is happening, please send some screen shots to support so we can dig into the issue further.

Has the quarter mile thing always been in place?? Or is this just as of the latest update? I can tell you from multiple experiences in a variety of places that qonqr was most definitely NOT updating every quarter mile on the road, whether I was surfing the cornfields or in a major city.

I'll try to remember to do some bing testing next time I'm out and about.

When I have map issues, my Bing maps and other real world maps show the proper location. Only QONQR is wrong. I don't have any screenshots, but I'll take some next time it happens and email them to you.

I noticed, of course, you ignored my primary post. Bad decisions don't get better by ignoring criticism. We're still losing good players over this sync lock debacle. I know of several more high-level players who have quit recently due to being sync locked with other college students. Meanwhile, the actual multiscopers are still going at it as long as they wait a few minutes. And if they do get caught, the worst that happens to them is they either heat twice as fast (if they continue playing more than one scope), have to put down one scope, or pay extra to be inoculated. Some of these multiscopers are getting pretty blatant now that the ban is gone (extra scopes with the same ID plus a number). Plus, since the changes are running off legit players, the multis have even greater negative impact.

Some of these multiscopers are getting pretty blatant now that the ban is gone (extra scopes with the same ID plus a number). Plus, since the changes are running off legit players, the multis have even greater negative impact.

I don't know about your group, but folks in mine have actually begun multiscoping and helping identify ways of working the system to avoid being sync locked. It's almost become a game within the game. And even among the opposing factions we've begun joking about it, and trying to sync lock one another.

That said, it's still unbelievably frustrating to be sync locked when you're NOT multiscoping... it's not fun then. It's just a hindrance to playing with one another in the same location.