The Official QONQR Community Forums
Kirra

iPhone 6 or a nokia lumia?

i see so many of you guys loving the nokias, but with only a 3.5% market share in the mobile OS scene I don't know if it's worth it to dump my catalog of iOS content and join the party.

maybe i need to set android and iOS Qonqr mindset and open up to the world of tiles and 8bit bot action... but everytime I walk past the microsoft store at our local galleria mall with all its gimmicky kinects and blatantly identical Apple Store setup I can't bear to step inside to look at the phone and even if i try i gotta walk through a see of kids touching everything... so i don't. am i missing out?

and at verizon experience stores nearby they basically laugh if you say "how do you like WP?"

*shrugs*

is MS ever going to put out a "flagship" type device? their whole number system is utterly confusing for someone looking to find the best phone they offer.

like i know when i bought an iphone 4, i had a solid phone til the 5, which has been great and i know once the 6 comes out, i'm set for 2 more years.

i seem to see incremental lumia and samsung galaxies almost quarterly, it's kinda off putting.

thoughts?

As a strong Windows Phone Fan, I want to tell you that I have all application that I need on my Lumia 920. I have this phone since almost two years when the Army gave it to me as all Officer in my unit. Since then my wife have a Samsung ATIV S ans she do not want to go back to IPhone anyway. I must admit that in France WP is doing better than in the US, we have here 12% market share.

HTC will announce the HTC One W8 Windows Phone n two weeks at NYC witch is the same than the M8 except the Windows buttons so you have many choices and many different prices between Nokia, Samsung, Huawei, HTC and in a short time LG, Sony and Blue at least in the US so my advice is you may buy a cheap Windows Phone off contract to try it. In case of you do not like WP you can buy another phone in contract.

I've always been a BIIIG fan of Nokia in general, but have to say since Microsoft took them over I am contemplating going android for the first time in my life. I have one of the first Lumia's (800) they brought out, so I can't speak for the more recent models (altho I have a friend who has a fairly new one and he says there have been alot of improvements but still things he doesn't like about it).

My first question would be what else do you want from the phone? Is playing Qonqr the biggest reason for the change, or have you got other requirements too? How much are you looking to spend? I guess a fair bit as you commented on 'flagship' models in your original post... For instance if the camera quality is important then the Lumia 1020 with it's 42 megapixel camera would be an instant choice (prolly the ONLY other Nokia I myself would consider now). Otherwise just do a google search on reviews for the phone model you are interested in. Cnet usuallly has some quite honest reviews and I found my wifes phone (Moto G) that way and she is really happy with it! They will quite often have comparison reviews too, which is handy for knowing the comparable models in each brand (also might help make sense of the Lumia numbering system cos you can go off the rank of the equivalent model then)...

I have never owned an iPhone, but I had a wp7, and now a lumia 920 and I love my phone. I would say wp has made improvements very quickly and apple has been more or less stagnant and changed only things that cost people money. I went with WP origially for what you get for your money, Apple products just seem to be way overpriced for what you get.

The last 3 phones I've had were Windows based phones and it has come a decent way. Yes, there is a smaller marketshare, but it is growing slowly. At least try it out. If not the MS store, there are are other phones besides the Nokias. I went with the AtivSNeo because I could chenge out the battery if I wanted to keep the phone for a bit longer without upgrading.

@Jadem : It's a shame that Samsung do not push those ATIV phone because they are really great ! My wife is really in love with her ATIV S. Now we miss an 4G model in France from Samsung.

@Jadem : It's a shame that Samsung do not push those ATIV phone because they are really great ! My wife is really in love with her ATIV S. Now we miss an 4G model in France from Samsung.

100% agree with this as an ATIV-S owner. The ATIV-S is a great phone and yet extremely difficult to find in the UK.

On the other had, my OH has just replaced her Nokia 710 with a Nokia 1320 and that's a very good piece of kit too.

I'm going to say if you are switching from the iPhone to a WP be prepared for a transition period...that being said I use mac stuff for everything except my phone and I am very happy with my phone. Better camera, better user format, comparable apps, while I wish I could play my iTunes on my phone its not a huge deal

also most iPhone users are jealous of my display, I have the Nokia Lumia 920

Lumia 1520 here. I used the 920 for over a year and before that swore by android. After selling phones for about a year for AT&T, the windows phone isn't going anywhere. The people who own them aren't returning them. Even people with defective devices prefer to suffer with whatever weird bug they have than go back to android or iPhone. Also Cortana is as good as google now already and more fun to use than Siri, quick and comprehensive, I use her probably at least once an hour (I hardly ever used google now on my Moto X). Only advice, if you're going to WP8.1, ignore the lower end devices, go for a 1520 or the Icon/930. They are well worth the money and as a 1520 owner, you get used to and end up preferring the 6" screen. (iPhone 5 screens are exactly as small as a business card. Who wants to look at the internet on that?)

@earit

Know anything about the HTC One M8 for windows that just came to verizon?

It has the same exact specs as the android counterpart.

However, because apparently WP8.1 is less power hungry than android, the WP version's battery is said to last longer than the android version....longer battery life means more Qonqring between charging hahah

Just upgraded to the 930 and its so much better and faster than my old, rather crappy, 610. The difference is amazing. I would say its pretty much up to speed with IOS but more functional. I was considering changing to IOS but I'm glad I stuck with a WP.

Disclaimers: I am not an iPhone person. I work for Verizon. I absolutely love my Nokia Lumia 928.

Disclaimers aside, and I cant believe I'm going to say this, I would suggest the iPhone 6.

Why? In a recent article by WPCentral.com detailing the best Windows phones, the Nokia Lumia Icon was ranked the best overall thanks to its processing power, size, and pureview lens. For big phone lovers, they chose the 1520 on ATT. While the HTC M8 for Windows phone is currently the fastest windows phone on the market, the camera is lacking. Its 'Ultrapixel' doesn't compare to the preview lens at all. It does have a handy selfie mode though

The advantages of the next iPhone will simply be the app store and a fairly stable and closed ecosystem. Any potential hardware advantage will just be the same as what the latest phones have just repackaged-reworded-and-repurposed to something "Apple like".

The last Nokia phone cameras have been superb as well as the other specs.

The windows phone OS is simple, clean, and efficient

What windows lacks is in the app store. Although some apps may not be available , a suitable clone may be.

But...I am biased, I dont like apple at all.

i wish iphones weren't so cheap with the ram. it is a completely overlooked necessity imo.

the lg3 has what, 3gb? that's spectacular, but yea the iphone ecosystem is basically why i'm stuck.

pixel density / ips panel is what i desire most, then ram and battery life / memory card. the iphone 6 falls behind the g3 in every one of those categories.

iphone has a great graphics processor, but thats like saying hey i have a super fast gpu but only 500mb of video ram >_<

WP for the win! I've had WP since windows moble was out on pocket pc and I havent ever had a drama!

I tested out an android and man they were ****! too many items and other superfilous **** taking up system resouces, and storage - wow the worst!

Based on feedback i've had from colleagues who have jumped the fence from ios to android and haven't looked back, imagine what they would be like if they took that extra step to WP.....

A great gpu and CPU and cr@ppy memory create a bottleneck. But since iOS has so many developers on their side they can work around certain limitations by applying good code...and they normally do. But still....WP all day every day ftw

Oh wait next iPhone is getting NFC capabilities! Oh they are such pioneers..oh wait...my 1520 already has that...

http://arstechnica.c...-functionality/

Nokia owns the patents in NFC so it's not very surprising that Nokia's product has the function. Even year before 1520 was released it was already in Nokia Lumia 925.

About the subject. I have never used any iPhone so I cannot really say much about them. They seem to be to of the line and iPhone 6 is probably a very good phone.

In Nokia's like of product numbers you should always look at the first digit. That usually tells you how good the phone is. So the 600 and 700 lines are not that great phones (but they do work for sure and are very practical for a teen etc.). The 800 and 900 line are much better phone (and also cost more). Then the second number is sort of a product number that goes higher as more of the products will appear. I think the flagship model of Lumias is now 930.

I have only exerience on one model: Nokia Lumia 925.1. I do think it's a good phone and especially since the Windows Phone 8.1 update I'll say it's great. I would advice heavily to not get a Windows Phone 8 model if you have the chance. WP8.1 is SO much better!! Practically everything that is changed in that OS is an improvement (and nothing is changed to the worse). It probably tells you more about WP8 than about WP8.1.

The market share is probably not that big of the deal. The app store is big enough so there is everything you need. If you use Windows 8 in home or work it'll be even better. At least I love that when I update my Lumia's calendar it stores everything immediately also to my laptop's Windows calendar. The computer and phone seem to work very well together.

I didn't catch from the messages that what Lumia product you were comparing iPhone 6 to, but in general the Lumia products seem to have very good touch screen and very good camera (plus gazillion of Nokia's apps for the camera). Also a big plus is that in Windows Phone there is no Candy Crush Saga..

But eventually it is up to you to choose your phone (for your needs).

JPT makes an excellent point about the no-candy-crush thing. I'm ashamed to say I'm hella more productive because I have to load up the desktop to get onto it. (I'm competitive and my whole family plays it. I must crush them all!! thank goodness they're not on qonqr, we'd have open warfare. even if we were all in the same faction. good god, leave me alone for a moment, I'm getting the sweats thinking about it.)