The Official QONQR Community Forums
Gadgerson

Faction Forums Problem

Hello everyone.

If you are new to the forums or have recently switched factions, you may have noticed that you can no longer access the faction forums. We recently had to disable a 3rd party hook that was designed to grant people access based on their current faction. It was causing some people to get a weird SQL error. We don't really have the time or patience to try to fix this problem at the moment, and so we thought maybe now is a good time to talk about something.

People complain all the time about the security of the faction forums and how they aren't really secure and therefore aren't really providing any value. So, our dilemma is this: Do we just put an end to the faction forums, or is there value in keeping them? If there is value in keeping them, is there someone willing to build us a working hook (php) so that we can have a working site? Basically, we are at the point that we don't want to spend anymore money on this thing, but if you guys want it, then we want to figure out a way to give it to you.

Please post comments on this issue below, and if you are willing to try to help us fix this issue please email support@qonqr.com and let us know.

Thanks so much and have a great day.

~Gadgerson

So, did my support ticket prompt this thread.

Now, I'd be happy to help sort something out with it, but I don't know PHP. I know ASP.net, which can do the same thing, and some SQL. What are you using to host the forums, (Linux, windows, etc), as Linux/asp.net is difficult (not impossible ) to set up.

I haven't been able to access the faction forums, but I feel that if nothing else it's helpful for newbs (like me, lol) to get in contact with the right people etc. Tactical planning is probably best left to GroupMe. It probably has some value with Atlantis tactics, I guess.

Drop me an email if I can help in any way.

I no longer find any use for the faction forum - given the growing trend towards other forms of communication re LINE and GROUPME - this is a more secure (but still has issues) way of providing information - the faction forum was always a very insecure sight given the ease of switching factions or creating a multi in a faction to gain access.

The only benefit I see is that a new player may make a comment that you can then bring them into your other forums, however locals players in the region they are located should be able to do that as well.

I'm an avid forum user and I gotta say that i'm pretty sure we can live without them.

Maybe something easier to do is creating stickies for each of the 3 factions. In these we could put big groupme groups or line group lists.

So under faceless, if someone clicked on the sticky, they would see that a large group of players are in East Coast Faceless. If they were interested in joining then they could post and anyone in the group could add them and let the mentoring begin and we could help 'em out.

Just a thought, security isnt really an issue b/c legion and faceless generally have chit chat groups containing lots of people, then create new rooms for ops then delete those once the op is over.

I think the faction forums is the most unsecure place as of right now. It seems to serve no purpose anymore. Maybe just make pinned threads in each faction forum for guides and GroupMe chats?

Also, I think that the forums needs cleaning up. For example, people's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge should really not be posted in the Announcements section (Heck i'm also guilty of doing it). Any chance we can have a forum mod clean the forums up a bit?

Also if you haven't fixed it yet. It appeared that All new accounts on the forum could access the "private" swarm section and read it. So it is even less secure than the others.

I think the faction forums is the most unsecure place as of right now. It seems to serve no purpose anymore. Maybe just make pinned threads in each faction forum for guides and GroupMe chats?

Also, I think that the forums needs cleaning up. For example, people's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge should really not be posted in the Announcements section (Heck i'm also guilty of doing it). Any chance we can have a forum mod clean the forums up a bit?

I do see the benefit to get in touch with large groups of people for the purpose of introductions and finding Groupme chats etc... If the security is that bad then yea I tend to agree, just make a sticky thread for each faction for people to make first contact with. Wouldn't spend hours scouring thru other factions newbies etc then and that would be more than sufficient and also the new players wont need to be reminded not to disclose any vital operation/tactical information into the section/ thread then too.

Sticky faction threads for making first contact, thats all that's really needed :)

Sorry for the necro.

I signed up for this forum so I could access the faction section. I guess I should've looked around more before I did. Oh well.