The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhuchrist

The fair fight?

Let me preface this by saying that in no way is this me criticizing the game. These are just observations and thoughts I had the other day while at work.

Also I think this is the first time I posted in here in a year.

I’ve seen over the two years of played people from all three factions hurling insults and slamming other players for the way they play the game. Whether it be lashing out at a cuber with deep pockets or at a group of people ganging up on a lone enemy. While these complaints are certainly understandable and oft times relatable, the very core of the argument is what? That it isn’t fair. And that got me thinking…

What is a fair fight? In another game, let’s use mortal kombat as an example, a truly fair fight would be two players squaring off with equal health and the same character and total knowledge of all the special moves. At this point the only variable left to determine a winner is the skill of the players controlling that character.

So what makes QONQR different as a game is that a lot of it is firmly rooted in math and stats. The same launch formation against the same enemy with the same scope upgrades will yield the same exact result every time. There is no variance or chance or luck involved. So going back to my fair fight scenario here, let’s say two players with equal scopes are hitting an empty zone loaded with the same amount of credits and ordinance. No refreshes or cubes involved. What ends up happening? As long as they both have a solid understanding of how each formation works, they are obviously going to **** heads with little to no shift in momentum or change to that zone (keeping in mind the game itself does slightly favor attacking vs. defending.) Skill and strategy are marginal at best in helping or turning the tide, once again, because the game is so very rooted in math and logic with no variance to luck or critical success and failure.

So how do you win?

Option 1: buy some cubes, over power your enemy that way.

Option 2: get other players to help.

These two things are what the game is built around in terms of helping turn the tide in your favor and taking and controlling zones. But at the same time these things are not exactly considered fair now are they? They in essence make the fight unfair. But that at the heart of it, this is what makes QONQR interesting. It’s not about the fair fight, it’s about gaining the advantage through whatever means you can. Cubes, recruiting, and sometimes more **** tactics (multiscopes), although I personally poo poo the last one.

Your only option is to win through an unfair fight.

Do I have a point to this? Not really. Just random thoughts.

Although I guess it’s something to think about the next time you get murder cubed and are about to lash out at the player in the forums or on facebook, yea?

I don't know man, I think #2 (gather other players) is also a skill related scenario especially in the old days. I also would suggest there is definitely Skill to be gained in combat. But the reality is generally you wont get to truly compare your skill to anothers ..

until they make the Zone Duelling option that's all the rage these days. Invite only zone with pre-selected rules regarding cubes, ordinance or what have you and considered "local" to all invited. The potential is endless :) Unless it costs cubes in which case never mind XD

Relating to the "if all things are equal" idea though you almost sound like you are quoting some swarm documents :) If all resources are equal the deciding factor will be TIME available. He who has more will win. If all things are equal and TIME is equal; He with more reliable allies will win. If resources, time and allies are all in equal levels: He who's organizer has the most skill will win.. ANother name for organizer depending on your different factions would be "general" or similar.

You know that is something I didn't factor in there. Time. The player who can consistently and constantly launch wins against the guy who casually picks up the phone on occasion or has to work away from a cell phone for 8 hours. Good point.

And yes I can't argue skill doesn't factor in, it just seems like less of a factor than other games is all.

Indeed. :) Unless its your bread and butter. DOing the dreadful algebra of operatives, ranges, resources and balancing teams for maximum fun and tactical advantage... and also enjoy taking notes and refining a unified system and approach for doing such things.. to share with next gen so they have advantages you didn't.. Self reliance and independence should be important. I have always prefered the organizing be left to the players and let us create our own world. It may satisfy the thing you sound like you are seeking. Something that isnt just raw math but where your choices and skills and experience can genuinely effect the outcome of a situation.

With the advent of the Hyper-mega cubers rather than just the old days.. the regular CUBERS it is not as common for a group of free players to over come a cube funded enemy, but there was always something uniquely satisfying when our team could come together and teach a cuber a lesson :) And free up all the little swarm who were hidden under the cover of wrong colored bots .. :)

Atleast I am not legion and there for we can have this intelligent discussion rather than just compete over who has the best words XD ohhhhh someone bring the bill to legion cuz someone just served them extra double order of stir fried SNAPPPPPP

If the devs wont make zone dueling for us I hope out there somewhere are those who would empty a zone and challenge one on one to a local battle. I'd like to see the transcript of deployments made / moves made as well that would be neat :)

I think such events would be cool. I suppose if people give up on atlantis as it works now they can schedule their own tournements in empty atlantis zones.. have a team clear the zone.. put 1 vs 1 or teams vs teams.. like fisticuffs challenges.. find out what these warriors are really made of!

lol that it is. And it's actually something me and noms talked about briefly but never really did. The idea was to pick a zone, plasma it dry so it is a vacant zone. Then have two teams of players go at it at a certain start time. almost like a mini local atlantis

Maybe late to the game but the forum is slow and this topic is still on the first page. : )

The fight is only even and fair right from the start. On an established zone, offense has to be pretty much double as one defender can hold off two attackers unless the attackers are really coordinated and even then progress will be very slow either way. Especially with the new tank size allowing up to 8 defensive deploys but only allowing a max of 6 attacks. You may only get 4 good attacks in after clearing and will kill less than 3k defensive bots (roughly 735 per shock on a fortified zone). Defense only needs 3 defensive deploys to make that up and now they can get at least 6 in even after spending 2 to clear. Yes you can try to throw other factors in such as boost (easily cleared), deploy patterns, etc. but it really boils down to killing 735 bots while they deploy 1250 bots.

The devs dont want an offensive game. The main leader board promotes defense, the new tank size promotes defense. Stack bots and you win. Every time you attack, you have just lost 1250 bots toward the leader board. 200 attacks a day and you just gave up a quarter of a million bots toward the leader board. You are never going to win if you keep attacking. Stack, stack, stack.

Winning in Qonqr is like making the 7th grade football team. All you have to do is show up. If you actively show up and deploy defensive bots, then you will be on the leader board and winning.

So how do you win?

Option 1: buy some cubes, over power your enemy that way.

Option 2: get other players to help.

Unfortunately, I live in an area where swarm does both. About a dozen of them all buy cubes and 2 or 3 of them are spending a few hundred per month. I wouldn't doubt if 10% or more of all the income generated in qonqr comes from Sacramento.