The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skybolt

Recommend painting screen black behind map

When using the qonqr map style (black), I recommend pre-painting the map tiles black to avoid the screen flashing white before repainting tiles. Not sure if this would be easy or hard. Possible methods:

1. When repainting, make initial map tiles black, then "enhance" with actual map tiles

2. Simply draw black before filling map (this may be dependent on OS map API).

3. Use the "satellite" views for the OS, which might paint dark grey squares instead of white squares before filling map tiles.

Consider using the 'satellite' view as the starting point for Qonqr style maps, the blank screen is medium-dark grey. Not sure if that's an option or if using your own maps requires you to call the standard google interface first.

We use MapTypeNone because we draw our own custom map tiles. I did a quick search. Doesn't look like you are allowed to change the background, and adding a new layer is probably not going to work. Even If it a black layer was possible, given the many issues we have seen with GoogleMaps keeping track of objects on the map, I would be concerned that the black layer may get stacked wrong and cover up everything (tiles and pins).

Object tracking is so bad on Google Maps we finally had to implement a "clear and startover" function on Andorid (which included creating a whole new tile layer) when you switch between bases and zone views