The Official QONQR Community Forums
Silver

Windows 8 Command Center

Hello everyone. Today I am happy to announce that we have submitted a Windows 8 application to Microsoft as our first implementation of a Command Center. I will let you know when we are approved. Hopefully we will make it though on our first attempt.

I'm sure this post will create a flurry of questions and comments both positive and negative, so I will answer what is likely the biggest one first. Why Windows 8? Why not iPad or the web? There were a variety of reasons.

• We were able to leverage much of our existing Windows Phone and Silverlight code (from the website) to create this application much faster than starting from scratch, which we would have needed to do on the web.
  • Microsoft gave us an incentive and tremendous technical support to get a Windows 8 application in the marketplace.
  • Microsoft sold 40 million licenses of Windows 8 in the first month of its release.
  • And the most important reason, there are a small number of free games in the Windows 8 marketplace right now.

For us, spending a couple weeks to build this application was less about building a new feature for QONQR, and more about marketing. The new Windows 8 marketplace gives us the opportunity to have millions of people learn about QONQR before the marketplace becomes saturated with games. We hope you enjoy the small bit of functionality we have exposed in this first release. The back-end services we built to support this Command Center implementation will speed the development of future Command Centers for other platforms. We don't yet have a timeline for other platforms or future updates to this release.

Awesome! Looks like a great addition to the current line up. Can't wait to give it a try when I get home. And on that Surface Im going to be winning.... right guys... .. right?

Woot! I was just thinking that something like this (perhaps with some added functionality) would be a perfect compliment to what we have now. It will be much easier to strategize with this app. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

This will run on any Windows8 device (ARM, x86, x64). Windows 8 takes fewer resources than even Vista did. So I am told that old XP machines should run Windows 8 well. I have an old XP laptop that I think I will spend the $40 to upgrade over Christmas. This way I can have a command center running all the time. I did a search and found the upgrade site this morning, but haven't tried it yet.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_ShopHP_FPP_Null

_Fett_Cupcake I hope you are joking! If so it didn't come across that way, and Silver has said several times that this is a Windows 8 (ARM, x86,x64) app. Meaning it will run on any Windows RT or Windows 8 tablet, laptop, or PC.

I have to say, I was wondering the same thing >.>

I honestly would of assumed that you could only run it using a Windows Phone or Tablet. but then, I tend to be more of an Apple person haha

It's live! Just installed it and going to run it around a bit!

edit: A few questions:

It will only display up to 100 zones at a time in a surveillance lock?

The "Incoming Transmission in ##" is just a refresh timer if there are any changes in the zones displayed?

After doing a Surveillance Lock, the zones don't display until I click and drag the map slightly. Not sure if it's just me or in general.

I downloaded it to my laptop running x64 windows 8.

Also just so everyone is aware. You can get a copy of Windows 8 Pro for $14.99

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

This is supposed to be for anyone who recently purchased a windows 7 PC however if you were to fill out the form with all the correct information for your laptop EXCEPT you lie about when you made the purchase you'll still get the coupon code. Worked for me.

Just a reminder this is only for Windows 8 Arm (RT,) and Windows Pro (x86, x64.) not for your phone OS or any other OS.

And OnyxShard, I believe they might have fixed the the purchase date issue, and now require a receipt. I know quite a few people who did it your way though.

There are a few known issues with this release. If you try to monitor a surveillance lock that crosses the international date line, it won't work correctly most of the time. The Bing maps control for Win8 was apparently rushed out the door by Microsoft. It is buggy and has some performance problems. (But not as bad as Apple's maps, ZING! :D)

I had originally hoped to put 500 pins on the maps in the first load but the performance was too sketchy. The redraw behavior you mention about needing to "shift" the map to see the pins, also a Bing bug. Usually when this happens I close the app (drag finger/mouse from off the top of the screen to off the bottom of the screen) and it works better on the relaunch.

I'm not sure how quickly we will update this release. I'll wait to see how many downloads we get.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/qonqr/602c01b2-aeec-421c-aeb9-9c066376e4fc

PLEASE GIVE US 5 STARS. Hopefully it will run us up the ranks and we can get featured.

I went and brought the copy of windows 8 (Spending money I needed for presents for family for Christmas xD) Just so I could get the command center and it won't let me download Windows 8 -___-

And being as it's currently 1:02am, Microsofts help lines down here are closed, So now I have to wait until tomorrow D= lol

For those that don't want to fully commit to Windows 8 on their PC, VirtualBox can run W8 just fine, so you can have a virtualized sandbox to run all of your W8 stuff while still maintaining your W7 compatability.