The Official QONQR Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wheatchief

Nokia Lumia 920 overheating

Never mind my bots overheating, my windows phone is really getting worryingly hot. I have been capturing zones for nearly 12 hours straight and have my phone permanently on charge.

Thanks to Scott I have switched to Legion mainly because faceless hold the northeast of England and im a fighter not a camper. 10hrs and i have captured 42 zones and nearly killed my phone. Well worth it though.

It needs to be added to the scope "Upgrade" section of the depot :)

but yeah 920 here too and gets hot and kills the battery, i assume through gps and map queries (i wrote an app which traced your gps on a livemap bing map (edit: oops) and the phone got very hot while running that too).

Note to the devs: you shouldn't need to poll the gps so frequently, every min to 2 mins should do it as its not really a navigation system, so don't really need the "real time" updates of location (seems this app is doing it every few secs if i'm correct)

Maelstrom, the phone is not supposed to be using the GPS antenna unless you turn it on in the settings (Windows Phone). It should be using cell tower triangulation, which should be a lot less battery drain.

My phone gets very hot when I have internet sharing turned on. This must be a data thing.

Doing a quick search I see there are lots of reports of "overheating" on the Nokia forums.

My Lumia920 also gets very hot by the GPS sensor when the app runs. (I sorta expect it) The GPS indicator also remains on while the app is in the foreground. I have 'Turn on GPS Antenna' toggled to 'Disabled' in the QONQR 'Application Settings'. I do not see that there is a way to globally disable GPS on the Windows Phone 8 platform itself. If there is please advise. I can help you test if you need a Lumia 920 guinea pig.

Its seems to be whenever I use a lot of data that my lumia 920 turns into a hand warmer. But just browsing the web and streaming video don't suck down the battery as much as this app though.

In settings/battery saver/advanced i found by changing the setting to always conserve battery (not recommended by phone) you can get up to an extra hour. Just means you wont get you emails automatically.

Also sporting a Lumia920 - agreed that it is indeed the best phone ever. <- the "." implies that this fact is definite.

Same issue with the battery functioning as a mini heater (I use the GPS function to access and assault enemy areas I pass during my commute to work)

Plugged into a laptop and running Q drains it more than it charges, but if it is hooked ip to the socket then the charge beats the drain.

To preserve the batterylife I would advise letting it drain to about 10-15% before switching to charge and play and then when its full unplug.

After having spent 4 days in the code scrubbing the memory optimization and verifying there aren't any runaway processes, I can confidently say the extreme heat isn't really QONQR's fault. The Lumia seems to be to blame. We may look into creating a mostly black interface in the future to reduce the power to display the bright screen, but from a processing point of view, we are fairly tight.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/203480-how-hot-your-lumia-920-question-my-personal-experience.html