The Official QONQR Community Forums
echobravo

Recieve alerts via text message.

the swarm have been diligent about defending the area around my home. specifically, i found one member of the swarm and myself taking turns re-capturing the same five-ish territories. in particularly active periods of contention, it became evident that the faction icons being rendered as pins over the bing map did not change with the same immediacy as twitter.com/qonqrcast would broadcast them. as a member of the faceless, i decided that technological warfare was the answer.

the following is a console application (written in one night, refactored in another) which will monitor QONQRCAST, and send a text message to your cellphone (via SMS Gateway [alternatively, it can just email you]) when an opposing faction takes over a territory that you are monitoring. additionally, it will send you a text/email reminder every four hours to remind you to harvest your bases.

src: http://4oh4.net/archive/watchtower.rar

here's the console application that i've been running it from (included in the above-linked solution):

static void Main(string[] args)
    {
	    var trackedStates = new List<string>()
							    {
								    "Missouri"
							    };
	    var trackedCities = new List<string>()
							    {
								    "City Name",
								    "Another City",
								    "A Third City Name",
								    "Baseville",
								    "Base Point",
								    "Base Circle"
							    };
	    // http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways
	    var notifyEmails = new List<string>()
							   {
								   "5555555555@tmomail.net"
							   };
	    var smtpCredentials = new NetworkCredential()
								  {
									  UserName = "name@domain.com",
									  Password = "Password!*"
								  };
	    // be sure to set the SMTP host, here.
	    var watcher = new WatchTower(   trackedStates,
									    trackedCities,
									    notifyEmails,
									    FactionType.Faceless,		
									    "smtp.domain.com",
									    smtpCredentials);
	    watcher.Initialize();
    }

Unfortunately, Twitter shut down our QONQRCast account many months ago. With over 1000 tweets per day and only two followers, we were a "spam" account. Some day we hope to have an API you can program directly against. But it may be a while before that hits the top of our priority list.

I was debating writing something similar once the API was released (however far in the future that may be), but since push notifications came into play, I don't think this is even need anymore.

IOS push notifications were developed and working in development builds.

However I believe a certifications issue has prevented the iOS app from actually giving push notifications.

It is on the list of features to fix I think.

it was using

It was using twitter for the warnings.

Right. My question is whether or not there has been progress made to implement a new system of alerts or if this is just something that isn't even being considered anymore..

The devs used to have it set up so a message would be posted to Twitter whenever a zone was captured but eventually enough people started playing that zones got captured too often and triggered Twitter's spam filters. A few of us had notifications set up based on QonqrCast tweets but there is no current way to get a notification when a zone is captured.

Hopefully the devs will set up something like an RSS feed or pubsubhubbub at some point that we'll be able to use in the future. Maybe something as part of the rumored Qonqr API?